• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

API Start Dates

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubsfan79

Hey guys,

I am stashed up here in Chicago at Great Lakes N.S. and have orders to check in for API on Sept 13th. Wondering a couple of things: is anybody starting API around then, or know of anyone checking in then. Also, where are people living considering the BOQ is being renovated. I am a SNA so people have told me to get a place in northern P-Cola because I most likely will be going to Whiting. Any advice or info would be helpful.

Take her easy

mattlowery

I graduated OCS on 21 June and have a room at the BOQ. There are rooms available, just make sure they give you an "API" room because they are nicer than the temporary rooms. I went on leave and just got back a couple days ago and classed right up for API. "Day 0" was today and then the real fun starts on Monday after the long weekend (thank god!). I also found out that I am going to Vance for Primary after API. only myself and this other guy are going there. anyone have any comments about Vance for Primary? I know they fly the T-37 there, so i look forward to that. I was hoping to get Corpus, but oh well. Later all.

Matt L.

Jason Williams

Vance is bad but not as bad as they say. Yes you will do 12 hours days. You will be very busy. There are alot of young Faips who try to act like they been somewhere but they got wings on their chest and you dont so you just listen. The pattern ops or course rules are insane so just pay attention. When they say to do and say somthing a certain way just be a robot. I met a lot of cool people there and made some good friends. The Navy gets a bad rap because alot of people do attrite but just study hard. In my class we had 4 navy guys and two marines. Out of the 6 of us, 1 marine and 1 Navy guy DORd. The rest of us had 2 jets both Navy 1 E2 and 1 Helo. Had a good drop too. Make the most of your time while your on their time. You will have to memorize the Notes warnings and cautions verbatum. Dont spend too much time on this, your not graded except in the eyes of the instructors ( which you want to keep a good repor) this aslo includes stand up (some other time) and shotgun ?s. Spend time on flights and be a robot. Get in the links (cockpit sim) as soon as you get there and learn the flow for startup and taxi and takeoff. show them early you want to be there. you will be done in 3 months with primary from the time you start flying. The grades are added up like this. 15% API 15% vance academics 70% flying. so dont blow off the repeat of API. I would have prefered the Navy system but make the most of it. Oh scooters ist he local hangout. its a pole barn with a dance floor and most of the women will resemble whats in a barn. Good luck Jason

cubsfan79

Hey guys,

Another question, when do we find out where we are going for primary? I would prefer prefer whiting or corpus, but I would just like to know so I could get myself prepared. I know Corpus has a shorter time frame due to the better weather, but does anyone know of any other reason why corpus would be better than whiting or vice- versa? Thanks for your time, really appreciate your help.

Robbie

mattlowery

i foundout the day before i classed up for API, last Tuesday. it should be on the roster for that week, the roster that tells who is classing up.

Matt L.

kaiangel

I'm sorry, I am confused about picking primary locations. I thought that you picked based on your grades in API, but how do they assign you before you start API?

esco02

I am a recent college graduate, and when I received my flight spot in Dec. I found out about a new program the Navy is starting called Introductory Flight Screening. I have been trying to find information on the web, and have had no luck so far. I was wondering if anyone has any information on the program.
Good luck to those currently in flight school. I will be there shortly (Aug. 16th).

Thanks for your help!

V/R
Mike

cubsfan79

Hey,

All I have heard about the IFS program is that you get 25 hours of flight time from civilian flight school. What happens to you after that, I don't know. I am not sure how you get selected for the program either. I only heard that if you ask for it you won't get it. Where did you go to school? OCS or NROTC? I will be in pensacola in early September.

Take her easy

esco02

Thanks for the information. I thought that everyone going to flight school now had to go through the IFS program before starting API. I was NROTC scholarship at VMI. You are stashed in Great Mistakes. I was there in Dec 96 for boot camp. I never want to go back there.

V/R
Mike

Edited by - esco02 on 07/09/2002 13:15:56

Edited by - esco02 on 07/10/2002 08:33:17

cubsfan79

Hey esco,

Yeah im here in beautiful Great Lakes. Don't woory Im not pushing boots, just doing basic stashed Ensign work: copy this, coalate that, call him, and get me this type of tasty beverage. But its not all bad, my family lives in chicago so im living there and collecting some nice BAH. Anyway when are you going down to P-cola, the 19th? do you know where you are going to live? I heard that the Navy will reimburse you for ten days of living in a hotel until you can find a place to live, temporary housing allowance I think. Just throwing ideas out there.

"nice marmot" -the dude

esco02

Hey Cub,
My orders have me reporting to P-cola Aug. 16th. As for a place to live... Right now I am planning to live in the BOQ untill I find out where I am going for Primary. I might try to stay with some of my friends that are already down there going through Primary.
That stashed job sounds lke some fun. Atleast you are close to your family. I am stuck working at my ROTC unit until I leave. The only thing they have me doing is learing the limitations, and Emergency procedures for the T-34.

Mike

Mike

Mark

When do I find out where I will go for primary? My orders right now have nothing about follow on after OCS. Will all that stuff be determined while I am in OCS. I was accepted under the PNA program so I know I will go, but when and where is the question.

mattlowery

OCS is your first challenge in front of you. you will learn about everything else towards the end of OCS and in Primary. gotta get the commission first though.

Matt L.

Mark

Matt L.
Is OCS really that hard for prior enlisted? I've heard that it's alot of keeping your head down and not getting noticed-Good or Bad. Shine your shoes, "Yes Sir", "No Sir", etc., etc.

mattlowery

yeah, but don't hide the fact that you are prior enlisted. that would be saying that you have no pride in your experience thus far. one guy tried to do it in my class....he didn't wear his medals on the 4th week RLP, but he passed. however, they told him he'd better have them on for the 9th week.....he didn't.....he rolled. he didn't get to graduate with us.

i just did what i was told, tried my hardest, and kept a low profile. that willg et you through it.

Matt L.

Status
Not open for further replies.