• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

API Gouge

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
If you are a SNFO, the Lockheed people will not do them for you (we don't have PRs), but you can take them to the AIMD hangar across from Griffith Hall, and they will do them. The main advantage of Wings & Things is the speed (a day, instead of a week), but it is expensive.
And if you're still waiting for API, don't worry so much about getting down into the weeds with the gouge. Not that it's not important information, but on the first day, you will have about 5 hours of lectures on the specifics of the program, along with all the general motherhood about not going into debt, driving drunk, getting swept away by a hurricane, etc.
Things may seem a little crazy now, but trust me... once you start there will be no shortage of information!

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Always leave an extra pair of sneakers (and pt shirt/shorts) in your car. That way you don't look like a jackass the day you forget to put a pair in your gym bag, or you can keep a classmate from looking like one when they forget theirs.

And, leave an extra cover in there too in case you somehow loose yours early in the morning before the exchange opens up.

Gillie1985

Thanks fr the information so do I put them on my flight suit as soon as I get there, or is their a set date on when I'm able to earn the right to wear one.?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks fr the information so do I put them on my flight suit as soon as I get there, or is their a set date on when I'm able to earn the right to wear one.?

You'll get issued your flight gear about halfway through the course, including flight suits. It's on you to get them rigged (Velcro sewn on, etc); as mentioned, best course of action is just take them to Wings & Things and suck up the cost. They're very used to each API and NACCS class bringing in a pile of flight suits. You can get your patches, including name tag, there too. They do it routinely and know exactly what to do.

Usually your class is authorized to wear bags once everyone's passed the Nav exam, last week of the course. Until then it's khakis.

Novaspike

You'll be issued a leather name tag set when you get to API.

When I checked into my Primary squadron, we got actual input on our new name tags, so I got my EAWS on that one.

But there's nothing stoping you from paying for a custom leather one from Wings and Things during API.

OscarMyers

None
+1 for the Wings and Things Velcro job. I had one flight suit and jacket done there and my other flight suits done at the AIMD paraloft. AIMD uses really small Velcro and does a pretty poor sew job. My patches are starting to wear out the nomex around the edges because of the size difference. You get what you pay for.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Some more gouge about flight suits at API. Buy your Ensign bars at the NEX in P'cola, and have Wings and Things sew them on. The bars at Wings and Things are cheaper, but they're lower quality. They're more yellow than gold, and the green part doesn't match the flight suit. The ones at the uniform shop at the NEX are much nicer.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
^^ And don't wait until the week of your API Christmas (aka flight gear issue) to buy Ensign bars. The PCola uniform shop was regularly sold out of ENS and JG bars. Same/same for the Whiting NEX, especially around May. Surprise surprise!

Surf

pilot
Some more gouge about flight suits at API. Buy your Ensign bars at the NEX in P'cola, and have Wings and Things sew them on. The bars at Wings and Things are cheaper, but they're lower quality. They're more yellow than gold, and the green part doesn't match the flight suit. The ones at the uniform shop at the NEX are much nicer.
I had the same experience with the NASC patch, bought one at the NEX and the other at W&T and there is a noticeable difference. The thread color in the W&T NASC patch is slightly off compared to the NEX equivalent. Also the flag patch boarder on the the NEX version is nicer.