• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

API Dates

sickboy

pilot
I'm in the process of selecting dates for API. My Lt. says that a new API class starts on the first Friday of every month, but he wasn't sure if we had to account for time to complete IFS or not. Can anyone shed some light on this?

JonDW7

I selected a date to come to Pensacola...not a date to start API. You need to do IFS, DIVOLC, and your NAMI stuff before API. I came down in April and started API in September. I would imagine you are selecting a date to come down to Pensacola.

Python

pilot
Contributor
JonDW7 is right. You are selecting a report to Pensacola date not an API date.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yep. It's a report date, not an API start date. You start when Flt Management needs you to start, which will probably be a couple of months.

mdkaboom

Q: Stash Jobs,
While playing the waiting game between IFS, NAMI, API, etc., I know we may have the opportunity to get a stash job around NASP. I've also been told by my NRD (current command) that they would have no problem with me coming back for OHARP. Is Flight Mgmt alright with us to going OHARP vs. staying local? Does leaving P-cola have any kind of negative consequence (like losing a spot on the A-pool list)? Can you go back (OHARP) between IFS and API?
Thanks. AM Deuce

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Once you finish all the stuff they've listed above, you can apply for TAD to anywhere. From what I understand it's initially for a 30 day period and can get renewed. You still chalk up time on deck with Pensacola and end up starting API the same time you would have had you not gone TAD. I got this from another ENS, so who knows if it's accurate.

Ah, but beware...by the time you finish all that stuff you may have so many weeks on deck that they may not approve your TAD because you'll be starting API "soon." This, I offer you as first hand knowledge.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I wish SWOs could be stashed Ensigns for a couple of months...

Though I'm currently stashed at DESRON right now for several days so i'm not complaining at the moment.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Though I wasn't in A-pool for very long, I don't know many folks who just went off and did TAD while they were there. While the wait was long for many, it wasn't necissarily a "we need you to start in 3 weeks, see ya" as much as it was a "expect 3 weeks but standby". If that has changed, then so be it, but A-pool always seemed to be flexing on a weekly basis. If you can convince them to let you go TAD for several weeks, then go for it, but I wouldn't count on it. If it doesn't work out for you there, you should have the opportunity to do it either before classing up for primary, or do what I did and go prior to classing for advanced (which can be a considerable wait for some folks).

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
That's a pretty accurate depiction. I know a guy who went TAD to Fallon, but he also skipped IFS because he had a PPL. What, exactly, they had him doing in Fallon...I have no idea. Thanks for the gouge on doing it before/after primary.

Jennok

I heard something to the effect that there are no more API class dates until 1JAN and that even still they are so backed up they are sending people to Vance. Can anybody confirm?

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I heard something to the effect that there are no more API class dates until 1JAN and that even still they are so backed up they are sending people to Vance. Can anybody confirm?

I was reading your profile...where are you at in the pipeline? If you're still a student, this really won't apply as things change with the Navy on an hourly basis.

For example, I reported to NAS Corpus Christi around the first week of October...have been bounced around VT-28 and VT-27 five times and pushed back what seems like every week. Others have classed up (including all the guys I came with) around three weeks from reporting. I don't even question it anymore, stand by to stand by.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What OU said. Any rumors, gouge, or bullshit you hear or may have heard will be overtaken by events presently. Things are always in flux - API, VT's, the RAG, the Fleet...

Nothing in the Navy's for certain until it happens. And sometimes not even then.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot

Well there is no API anywhere other than NASP, so sending people to Vance wouldn't help any back-up at NASC. So that doesn't make any sense.

To the OP, when I was in A-pool we were explicitly told, "If you want to go TAD somewhere, let us know, it's no problem." I waited about 5 months for API, 1 week for Primary, and 2 months and counting for advanced. Bottom line: talk to somebody there, in person. They'll be able to answer better than most of us on AW can.

Also, generally a new class starts every Friday, not one Friday a month.

jcm31781

Pensacola or bust!
pilot
Well there is no API anywhere other than NASP, so sending people to Vance wouldn't help any back-up at NASC. So that doesn't make any sense.

To the OP, when I was in A-pool we were explicitly told, "If you want to go TAD somewhere, let us know, it's no problem." I waited about 5 months for API, 1 week for Primary, and 2 months and counting for advanced. Bottom line: talk to somebody there, in person. They'll be able to answer better than most of us on AW can.

Also, generally a new class starts every Friday, not one Friday a month.

You'll have to go through API whether or not you go to Vance. The Air Force flight training is dividied into three phases, with Phase I being roughly equivalent to an abbreviated API, Phase II as primary, etc. So, if you go to Vance you'll probably end up hearing some of the same information again during Phase I. The up-side is that their schedule is much more structured; you know exactly when you'll be graduating Phase II, vs. Navy primary that could take anywhere from 5 to 9 months.

On a side note, Enid is the definition of a small midwest town. Great if you like that and have a family, but if you're looking for fun Oklahoma City is 1 1/2 hours away on a good day. Also, the Air Force "style" of flight training is much more regimented (it will bring back memories of basic/OCS), while with the Navy, as long as you and your class are squared away you'll usually only come in to fly and for mandatory squadron/wing functions.