• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

API Curriculum Mod

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
what do jets have to do with Aero? lifts are lifts, drags are drags. no one is flying a jet in primary anyways, and most of us aren't flying them in advanced either...?

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
what do jets have to do with Aero? lifts are lifts, drags are drags. no one is flying a jet in primary anyways, and most of us aren't flying them in advanced either...?

Well the Aero book is the only one with a plane on the front. Perhaps they'll change it from a T-34 to a Goshawk. Other than that...:confused:

MettGT

pilot

Currently, you don't have to know that thrust available and power available graphs for jets (and how to manipulate them), just props for the aero classes. Not that the jet curves are that difficult to learn.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Does Jet Advanced Aero deal w/ compressible/transonic flow? If so, and if they want to integrate that in to API, then it would warrant some changes to the syllabus. Transonic flow is certainly a different regime of aerodynamics that follows some different rules (actually they're the same rules, but with the incompressibility assumption removed, which makes it messier), and it is probably the most complex regime of external aerodynamics to understand and model.

cue MB's NERDS photo...

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Currently, you don't have to know that thrust available and power available graphs for jets (and how to manipulate them), just props for the aero classes. Not that the jet curves are that difficult to learn.

I'm in Aero I this week and we're learning both.

MasterBates

Does Jet Advanced Aero deal w/ compressible/transonic flow? If so, and if they want to integrate that in to API, then it would warrant some changes to the syllabus. Transonic flow is certainly a different regime of aerodynamics that follows some different rules (actually they're the same rules, but with the incompressibility assumption removed, which makes it messier), and it is probably the most complex regime of external aerodynamics to understand and model.

cue MB's NERDS photo...

nerds.jpg

NERDS!!!!

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I like how Master, an ME, is calling us aero dudes nerds, when he has done far more as a practical engineer than any of us. Or, at least me with just my undergrad.

UpstateSouthpaw

On to Whiting North
I didn't didn't realize that Uncle Fester was staff here at API (my fault) so I was under the assumption that all this sprouted from a student trying to start up a rumor. Also MIDNJAC said it was going to start within a month (that would've been in June of 08) and it's now Feb 09. I understand things take time to get in place and obstacles get in the way but I thought if it were 'supposed' to start in a month it would've happened by now. I also would've thought this would've been a hot topic in and around API/A-Pool since this seems to be a pretty big change. This thread is the only place I've heard about it since I got here in September.

I don't think shortening the program would do much good... I've known some pretty smart people that are really great test takers and rarely studied for anything but probably don't have the coordination or motor skills to fly a plane very well. In short, I don't think academic performance is the best indicator of being a good pilot or not.

Now that I realize there's truth to this modified curriculum I was wondering if anyone knew any more about this JPATS program and whether it only applies to the T-6 or will it be implemented with the T-34 as well (since Whiting and Corpus will probably be using the T-34 for a while longer) and what does JPATS stand for? Also has anyone heard of the current time frame they plan on implementing this?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I didn't didn't realize that Uncle Fester was staff here at API (my fault) so I was under the assumption that all this sprouted from a student trying to start up a rumor. Also MIDNJAC said it was going to start within a month (that would've been in June of 08) and it's now Feb 09. I understand things take time to get in place and obstacles get in the way but I thought if it were 'supposed' to start in a month it would've happened by now. I also would've thought this would've been a hot topic in and around API/A-Pool since this seems to be a pretty big change. This thread is the only place I've heard about it since I got here in September.

I don't think shortening the program would do much good... I've known some pretty smart people that are really great test takers and rarely studied for anything but probably don't have the coordination or motor skills to fly a plane very well. In short, I don't think academic performance is the best indicator of being a good pilot or not.

Now that I realize there's truth to this modified curriculum I was wondering if anyone knew any more about this JPATS program and whether it only applies to the T-6 or will it be implemented with the T-34 as well (since Whiting and Corpus will probably be using the T-34 for a while longer) and what does JPATS stand for? Also has anyone heard of the current time frame they plan on implementing this?

If you haven't figured it out by now, not EVERYTHING about the Navy is seeing if you'll be a good pilot or not. Sometimes, there are just hoops you gotta jump through. Did getting sprayed with a hose while doing pushups in the sand prove that I'm going to be a good officer? No. It's a retarded hoop we had to jump through. Does getting 100% on your API tests mean you're more likely to get jets? Shit, does it even mean you're more likely to wing?? Nope. It's just a hoop to jump through.

Plus it isn't COMPLETELY unrelated to flying. There is a SHIT TON of knowledge and procedures you have to learn in a short period of time during flight training. we do in 1-2 years what civilian pilots do in 4+. You can KNOW YOUR SHIT and be an average pilot and wing just fine. You can also be fvcking Chuck Yeager, and not know shit and attrite or barely squeak by. The point is, is that if you are an average stick but know you're shit, you'll likely be OK. If you don't know your shit, you had BETTER be Chuck Yeager, because that's the ONLY thing keeping you from the door.

And last, but not least, on top of it all: I sincerely believe that a group of guys of a MUCH higher rank than you have spent quite some time considering the time to train at API. You know, longer than your passing thoughts on the matter.

UpstateSouthpaw

On to Whiting North
Plus it isn't COMPLETELY unrelated to flying. There is a SHIT TON of knowledge and procedures you have to learn in a short period of time during flight training. we do in 1-2 years what civilian pilots do in 4+. You can KNOW YOUR SHIT and be an average pilot and wing just fine. You can also be fvcking Chuck Yeager, and not know shit and attrite or barely squeak by. The point is, is that if you are an average stick but know you're shit, you'll likely be OK. If you don't know your shit, you had BETTER be Chuck Yeager, because that's the ONLY thing keeping you from the door.

And last, but not least, on top of it all: I sincerely believe that a group of guys of a MUCH higher rank than you have spent quite some time considering the time to train at API. You know, longer than your passing thoughts on the matter.

I never said that knowing your shit wasn't important, of course it is, its just that I don't really agree (as I see it from my low point on the totem pole) that it should be the only thing used against you at the very beginning. If they want to get all of the attrites out in API, it seems to me they might be losing some of those guys who are the 'fvcking Chuck Yeagers' but might not be able to deal with a condensed version of API. Of course I know that people with a lot more stripes than I have put a considerable amount of time and effort into condensing the program and making it better. I just hope the Navy & Marine Corps don't lose some really good aviators who might not be able to absorb 6 weeks of information in half the time. I'm also a proponent of "If it works don't fix it" and it has worked for quite a few years. It seems that one of the biggest reasons for this change is to save money, which sucks but thats usually the way things fall.