• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

API Curriculum Mod

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Since I know a bunch of you are holding at the gates getting ready to come down here, I thought I'd pass some of the new gouge along so you all have a heads up. This is coming directly from the API Skeds officer, so I'm pretty sure it's good.

In the next month or so the API course (all 6 weeks of it) will be condensed to 3 weeks. All classes, exams, physical activities (swimming, etc), and physiology will be combined into this time period. The day should effectively run from 0530 ---- > 1800 in order to pack all that stuff in. The reasoning we were told today was:

1. The AF bought up a new primary training curriculum (JPATS) to go along with the T-6. It eliminates some of the redundant classroom and training evolutions that are currently in the pipeline. The Navy just picked up the same curriculum and is now in the process of implementing it. JPATS apparently doesn't include IFS or API, so the Nav has been fudging around with the system a bit as well.

2. This "master plan" incorporates a 20% attrition rate. The current API attrition rate is around 2%, so obviously something has to give. It was said that although this rate is much lower than in the past, now most of the attrites are happening in the VT's.....being more expensive at that point in training, they want to bring the attrition back to API. There was also something about API passing the trash on to Primary, so I guess that although our API classes have gotten better, we have been sucking more once we get behind the stick.

3. "They" also want to speed up the training program and make it more efficient.

Thus we have a 3 week API which will be shorter, and thus harder. Standby to take it guys. Sorry to say, but this will probably be an interesting transition. Note, this doesn't apply to those who are already classed up, just those who are going to in the next few months. Just thought you all should know! I know there are a couple instructors from both API and the primary VT's on here, so please correct this if my info is AFU'd.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Here's an artists rendition of the first few classes....

Kroombit_goat_rodeo.JPG
goat-tying-thurs.jpg

If this is true, it would be super awesome if we coould find out when it begins, and for some motivator to log their experiences on this board.

20%? So is it going to be swimming? Academic?

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the info. Please keep us updated as to when this is going to actually begin (first 3 week API class date).

LivinMyDream

pilot
While Big Navy will do what it wants to do, I think this will only increase students reliance on "gouge" in order to keep up. Rather than learning the information and tucking it away for use later on in the pipeline, it will simply be "trash in, regurgitate gouge out." There will be tired Studs in classes, and no time for self study at night after one makes dinner, relaxes an hour, etc. And while this shortened pipeline won't be a problem for people who are comfortable in the water, I feel sorry for those Studs that are not Flipper. Good luck to all: let us know how it goes!

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
And while this shortened pipeline won't be a problem for people who are comfortable in the water, I feel sorry for those Studs that are not Flipper. quote]

Not sure you have to be like this to get through...
flipper.jpg

I saw plenty of this...
2006%20K-9%20dog%20paddle%207.jpg

API swim is mostly about getting over being scared of the water...not developing amazing swimming skills.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I agree.....just realizing that you aren't going to drown is the biggest skill you need to pass the swim events. It will be interesting to watch what happens. As for the first class, it will be w/n the next month I have heard on a couple occaisons. So all you spring grads who are coming down here are most likely going to be the guinnea pigs.

edit: I almost forgot to add that *supposedly* they were initially looking at getting rid of API altogether. So yeah........

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
2. This "master plan" incorporates a 20% attrition rate. The current API attrition rate is around 2%, so obviously something has to give. It was said that although this rate is much lower than in the past, now most of the attrites are happening in the VT's.....being more expensive at that point in training, they want to bring the attrition back to API. There was also something about API passing the trash on to Primary, so I guess that although our API classes have gotten better, we have been sucking more once we get behind the stick.
I've heard this before, but honestly I felt API was a harder learning environment and thus, easier to attrite. I don't know exactly how many people who have attrited or even DOR'd but I would guess that the percentages are if not comparable, less in the VTs. I knew about 6-7 attrites/DORs in API, but I haven't even heard anyone saying anything in the readyroom about so-and-so attriting/dor-ing, maybe that just isn't a conversation that comes up but you get my point. Maybe I just need to be here longer, but that's just one dopey O-1's opinion. Anyone who is more in the know please smack some knowledge on me.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yeah, I have no idea what the % breakdown is, but the Capt. basically said so much (about the VT's having a dramatic increase of attrites in the last couple years). FWIW of course :) But that is good to hear that the VT's aren't just going down the shitter or anything

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I've heard this before, but honestly I felt API was a harder learning environment and thus, easier to attrite. I don't know exactly how many people who have attrited or even DOR'd but I would guess that the percentages are if not comparable, less in the VTs. I knew about 6-7 attrites/DORs in API, but I haven't even heard anyone saying anything in the readyroom about so-and-so attriting/dor-ing, maybe that just isn't a conversation that comes up but you get my point. Maybe I just need to be here longer, but that's just one dopey O-1's opinion. Anyone who is more in the know please smack some knowledge on me.

How long have you been in VTs?? If you're the newbies on board, you probably don't know many people outside your class and you guys haven't been through much, so no one has probably gotten into much trouble yet. Once you've been there for a while, you'll hear about plenty of DOR/attrites.

If you care, swing by ops or stucon or whoever and take a look at their whiteboard...plenty of names up there.

Cavrone

J-Hooah
pilot
API in 3 weeks? I guess they actually do read the student critiques. I have suggested on numerous class critiques that API takes too long.