• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

API Curriculum Mod

RotorHead04

Patch Mafia
pilot
As an "upper classman" in the schools of Naval Aviation, I would offer the following:

1. The brevity of the new API will help as much as it will hurt, so it will probably be a wash in the overall student experience. Knowledge will be fresher for the tests, but you won't have much of a life outside of class. (I recall many API "study nights" that involved beer and procrastination due to too much spare time)

2. Faster pace will be better for follow on training -- for those in A-pool, go ask some one in Primary how intimidated they were the first few weeks of Primary Ground School. It never really seems to let up or get easier. Like Noze said, each new school is challenging in its own way. Having a more intensive program is a good wakeup call -- one many of my contemporaries didn't get until the VTs.

3. Having now survived the RAG, I think the best advice I've ever received is that you never really stop having to prove yourself to someone. First its wings, then the RAG, then quals quals quals. Especially in a multi-crew aircraft, senior crew members are going to remain skeptical of a junior's abilities until they prove themselves. People think that getting the wings is the end all, but there were plenty of days in the RAG where I felt like I was flying Fam 4 in Primary all over again. A number of friends (all in different aircraft/communities) and I have often joked that you might as well leave the wings at home in the RAG, because you rarely are given much credit for having earned them.

Regardless of why this is happening, realize that it will probably help you better appreciate what you have gotten yourself into -- a lifetime of dedicated, hard work. If the thought of that is already getting you nervous, perhaps it's time for a gut-check.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
As an "upper classman" in the schools of Naval Aviation, I would offer the following:

1. The brevity of the new API will help as much as it will hurt, so it will probably be a wash in the overall student experience. Knowledge will be fresher for the tests, but you won't have much of a life outside of class. (I recall many API "study nights" that involved beer and procrastination due to too much spare time)

2. Faster pace will be better for follow on training -- for those in A-pool, go ask some one in Primary how intimidated they were the first few weeks of Primary Ground School. It never really seems to let up or get easier. Like Noze said, each new school is challenging in its own way. Having a more intensive program is a good wakeup call -- one many of my contemporaries didn't get until the VTs.

3. Having now survived the RAG, I think the best advice I've ever received is that you never really stop having to prove yourself to someone. First its wings, then the RAG, then quals quals quals. Especially in a multi-crew aircraft, senior crew members are going to remain skeptical of a junior's abilities until they prove themselves. People think that getting the wings is the end all, but there were plenty of days in the RAG where I felt like I was flying Fam 4 in Primary all over again. A number of friends (all in different aircraft/communities) and I have often joked that you might as well leave the wings at home in the RAG, because you rarely are given much credit for having earned them.

Regardless of why this is happening, realize that it will probably help you better appreciate what you have gotten yourself into -- a lifetime of dedicated, hard work. If the thought of that is already getting you nervous, perhaps it's time for a gut-check.

Thanks for the thoughful insight. I look forward to being in your shoes in a couple years :)

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Below is a good point and it can last awhile depending upon what you do - get into the acquisition/test world and we rarely see anybody with less than a thousand hours and wouldn't trust them when/if we do.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
A number of friends (all in different aircraft/communities) and I have often joked that you might as well leave the wings at home in the RAG, because you rarely are given much credit for having earned them.

I agree with the rest of your post, but this part I haven't seen at all. In fact, I think it's the exact opposite.

Other's mileage may vary, that may just be my community.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Ok, take this as you want. This is what I know based on where I am currently working in talking with the people there.

API is a separate entity from the swimming & water survival stuff. API consists of the 4 week academics which is concurrently run w/ swimming and other stuff. This includes your weather/systems/aero 1&2/FR&R stuff (sorry if I missed anything). That syllabus is being shortened to three weeks. According to others the water survival and swimming are technically under a completely different code. I don't know what the plan is wrt the water survival, and the people here working on the shortened API syllabus have not discussed it. I do know that if you class up this summer, and probably this calendar year, you will be going through the current syllabus.

IrishEagle85

I do know that if you class up this summer, and probably this calendar year, you will be going through the current syllabus.

When you say the current syllabus, do you mean the four or three week version you mentioned? I'm cool with it either way, but just trying to get an idea of what to expect in two months.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
API is going to a 3 week syllabus, training will commence at 0530 and conclude at 1830. The three weeks will encompass Water Survival, Academics, Physiology, and the remaining survival training. We were told this change will have taken place by the time "you all get out of primary", so in about 7-8 months, give or take.

So it's about that time. Any knowledges from instructors, JOPA or LPA making its rounds out there as to when this is going to get moving?

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
Holy thread resurrection, Batman! :D

I asked one of my friends who just finished API. He said that it was still a 6 week syllabus and that they hadn't heard anything to the contrary.

I think we can all breathe easy for a little while.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's been some issues in working out the 3-week syllabus; specifically, getting the pool/survival times divvied up, since those facilities are shared with RSS, Aircrew, Air Force, etc.

I wouldn't worry about it happening any time soon. Ops normal for now.

UpstateSouthpaw

On to Whiting North
Bs

Ok, I think whoever posted this is full of shit. One of the things they constantly say in API is "this program isn't designed to attrite people", it's also been 9 months since this was originally posted so I think it's safe to say BULLSHIT!

MettGT

pilot
Easy there, killer. Things "change" and remember that the time it takes to implement things can lengthy (ie getting the T-6 at Whiting). There will always be gouge/rumors -some of it is well based, others, not so much. As they say, "live by the gouge, die by the gouge."

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Ok, I think whoever posted this is full of shit. One of the things they constantly say in API is "this program isn't designed to attrite people", it's also been 9 months since this was originally posted so I think it's safe to say BULLSHIT!

All I have to say is......wat?

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot

I'm gonna go ahead and say you're wrong, based on the fact that Schools Command staff have confirmed the rumor in this thread. They've also said (last post on the previous page) that it doesn't look like it will be happening any time soon, which certainly appears to be the case right now. So as has been said, it IS supposed to happen eventually, but it will be well into the future.

zoomie08

Fast, Neat, Average...
I dont know about changing the length of the program, but I was told by my Aero II instructor today that API is going to change to emphasize a lot more jet stuff in the Aero courses at the begining of the new fiscal year. The reasoning behind the change was something about the JPATS getting up and running and the need to keep up with it. So, Aero could get a little tougher just by virtue of the fact that it is more stuff to learn.