• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AOCS Class 20-89

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
18-90, Gunnery Sergeant Woodring, United States Marine Corp, Non-Commissioned Officer in charge of Battalion II.

I can also highly recommend:

The Pressure Cooker: Forging Naval Officers Through Marine Leadership

CAMike

None
Contributor
2021 AOCS Reunion scheduled for 1-2 October 2021 in Pensacola. Check the AOCS Facebook page for details. I believe 1STSGT UCMC (Ret) John Crouch is the Admin for that site. Just don't try and join if you weren't there. He's like an ill tempered DI with a freaking laser on his head!

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
18-90, Gunnery Sergeant Woodring, United States Marine Corp, Non-Commissioned Officer in charge of Battalion II.

I got his book several years ago. It has a lot of GREAT stories in it from many candidates through the years.

johnboyA6E

None

12-89 here, Gunny Woodring's first class "stand the hell by, girls"

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My class, 12-79, was only the second with females, and the first in Batt II, as I recall. We started with three women. Two finished, but the one that DNFed was NPQ due to injury. She was not a DOR. A pilot candidate, she was twice the candidate the other two were. While some changes had been made due to the female presence, the treatment that remained, while not any more mean spirited than directed at candidates by peers or DIs, would get one relived or kicked out out of OCS today. Of course I can't know what they spoke about when alone, but there was no bitching out loud and no complaints filed wit the chain of command. They were not singled out for being female. But when singled out for anything else, not once did they turn it into anything more than it was. That our class had some different rules due to the females that the males regretted, the female candidates were not blamed. In fact, the ladies sympathized. The big change was no "Hog Board". The ladies were particularly disappointed in that change. They were eager to post their own pictures. A chit was even submitted asking to allow it. Answer was a big negative.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
The Hog Board had reappeared in Batt II by 16-83. My brother said it was there for 14-82 too.

The only difference our 2 women had were a private head/shower, no shaved head (but mangled hair), and less people in their room.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
The big change was no "Hog Board".
Say what?

No “Hog Board”?

So what did dudes like me do? I didn’t have a girlfriend [or a wife]...and I didn’t have the opportunity to meet any girls on liberty in Pensacola because I had EMI every weekend and was never allowed to leave the base. Without the “Hog Board”, I would’ve been SOL regarding the Regimental Ball.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Without the “Hog Board”, I would’ve been SOL regarding the Regimental Ball.
You’re mixing up the Hog Board with the Hog file.

Hog file = file of local girls for Regimental Ball dates.

Hog Board = bulletin board where any pictures of wives or girlfriends found by the DIs or sent in the mail were posted. (After the first explicit photo was posted, there was a mad rush to the phones at the first opportunity to tell them not to send more, but there always were more...).

Last edited:

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
You’re mixing up the Hog Board with the Hog file.

Hog file = file of local girls for Regimental Ball dates.

Hog Board = bulletin board where any pictures of wives or girlfriends found by the DIs or sent in the mail were posted. (After the first explicit photo was posted, there was a mad rush to the phones at the first opportunity to tell them not to send more, but there always were more...).
Copy all...yeppers...I got confused there...thanks for the clarification. We didn’t have a “Hog Board” that I know of...only the “Hog File” which was maintained and managed by the wife of either the head of aviation schools command or the base skipper...I can’t remember which.

Last edited:

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
My DI, when collecting new pictures as we opened out mail in the passageway, used to say “All women are hogs but not all hogs are pigs” when he saw a particularly hot one.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
My wife, who was still back in our home state at the time, sent me a box of home made chocolate chip cookies early in my tenure. Of course I had to open the box in front of SSgt Wiechowski and my classmates lined up in the hall. When W saw the cookies, he said in his gravely voice, "COOKIES! I LIKE cookies! I think it's time for some communion!" So I held the open box and followed him down the line as he stopped in front of each candidate and exclaimed, "OPEN!", at which time he shoved a cookie into the recipient's mouth, followed by "CHEW! One, two, one, two, STOP! SWALLOW!" Of course the cookies were dry after spending at least a week in the USPS routing, and watching each guy try to swallow said cookie after two chews without anything to wash it down was absolutely hilarious. I asked my wife to not send any more packages after that, even though it was very entertaining and brought much levity to the day.