• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone know who flew into Marblehead Mass?

phrogpilot73

Eh, I'll take my chances in the aircraft that's been flying for nearly half a century, thank you very much. ;)

K119-Phrogs-Phorever-Facing-Left-Dark%20Purple-07.jpg
Thanks for using the URL of the image... I might have to swing by their store in a couple of weeks when I'm down a Lejeune for live fire and see what it looks like in person!

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Eh, I'll take my chances in the aircraft that's been flying for nearly half a century, thank you very much. ;)

Bell 206??? First flight 8 Dec 1962 :)

BTW, wiki says the Phrog first flew in "August 1962" but doesn't state the exact date. Boeing.com doesn't have any finer detail either. Anybody have the exact date?? (Serious question.)

KBayDog

Bell 206??? First flight 8 Dec 1962 :)

BTW, wiki says the Phrog first flew in "August 1962" but doesn't state the exact date. Boeing.com doesn't have any finer detail either. Anybody have the exact date?? (Serious question.)

That too.

Can't find anything that defines the definition of "definitive," but this site (and a few others) indicate that the YHC-1A prototype flew on 22 Apr 58...almost 4 1/2 years before the Bell Clown Copter prototype first flew.

BTW, Columbia's N6674D (which previously flew for New York Airways) has accumulated over 70,000 hours - the most hours of any helicopter, ever - and is still flying. She is followed (relatively) closely by N188CH, which has a shade over 62,000. (To put that in perspective, most of the Phrogs I flew just before their retirement/transfer had 10-12K hours on them.)

N6674D-in-nya-livery.jpg

n6674dblur2ssh.jpg

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
(To put that in perspective, most of the Phrogs I flew just before their retirement/transfer had 10-12K hours on them.)

I flew the last flight of the first Navy one to get to 17.5k. It had already been extended a few times by Cherry Point, but we couldn't get them to commit any further and it went into a corner and was eventually trucked off to the desert. Kind of cool.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
BTW, Columbia's N6674D (which previously flew for New York Airways) has accumulated over 70,000 hours - the most hours of any helicopter, ever - and is still flying. She is followed (relatively) closely by N188CH, which has a shade over 62,000.

I wonder if these are the rotary-wing equivalents of George Washington's Axe (handle replaced three times and the head twice). Come to think of it, the same could be said for a lot of aircraft out there... :)