• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone have experience getting into OCS who can tell me what they think my chances are?

taxi1

pilot
Because of a shoulder injury in 2013 and an instance of heart burn that were both in my medical record...
Lordie

Never, ever , see a doctor unless you are dying.

You could have all of your internal organs rotting out unbeknownst to you, and as long as you don't get it into your medical records you are a 4.0 up round (with a stream of blood trailing behind you...but hey you're not a doctor).

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Hey, I just want to serve my country before I’m to old too.

You're entering a game designed for an 18 year old at 30. There are ways to do that which won't make your life absolutely suck for the next few years. You won't be able to hang out with the other sailors your age because they'll all be well outside of your peer group, and that's fraternization. Your peers will largely be fresh out of high school, 10-12 years younger than you. Your immediate superiors are going to be 8ish years younger than you.

If you're single, your living situation is going to take a huge nosedive.

At 30 enlisting into the (Air or Army) Guard/Reserve side of the house would keep your quality of life and let you serve your country in the military. There are also plenty of GS jobs, and public service is public service.

I think we all wish you the best of luck, because the path you are about to take is going to be very difficult for you.

taxi1

pilot
At 30 enlisting into the (Air or Army) Guard/Reserve side of the house would keep your quality of life and let you serve your country in the military.
I've known a fair number that have done this (college educated too), and been really happy. To include a full career to retirement, and even switching over the active duty. Making chief and Senior Chief.

The part-timers are a far more eclectic bunch.

exNavyOffRec

Slightly different circumstances, but I had an undesignated airman check in with a masters from USC in petroleum engineering (undergrad at Stanford). He was an immigrant from Vietnam and he ultimately wanted to serve as an officer. Enlisting was a pathway to citizenship. He was... a great American.

That is the right reason to go enlisted with a degree, I had a young man with an ME degree that after interviewing him went enlisted, he wanted to work on aircraft, not fly them but literally turn wrenches, so I passed him off to an enlisted recruiter as he was fully aware of his options and choices.

Too many times enlisted recruiter try to pull a fast one.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Slightly different circumstances, but I had an undesignated airman check in with a masters from USC in petroleum engineering (undergrad at Stanford). He was an immigrant from Vietnam and he ultimately wanted to serve as an officer. Enlisting was a pathway to citizenship. He was... a great American.

I bet he was. I've known a few Sailors in a similar position and they were excellent except for one, but he was a special case.

If you signed for CTI, understand that you are going to college again and treat it that way. I went through Arabic from 2008 to 2010 and its no joke. Monterey is beautiful.

Monterey is beautiful but DLI is no joke. I have a number of friends who went through various programs and you will be drinking from a firehose. You need to be on your A-game as you will be expected to become proficient in a language in a very short amount of time. Failure will send you back to the Fleet as an undesignated seaman.