• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone Going to OCS on January 4th?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcurb

I was wondering if anyone was going to OCS on January 4th? I was selected for the BDCP when there were no applicants in the system almost two years ago. I wanted to say that I am sorry to those of you who have to wait for the response from Milington, it is torcher but worth that day when they call and tell you you are in. Anyone got advice about what to do the day before checking in to OCS? Do you sleep at all a week before? I am so nervous now, I cant even imagine how nervous I will be then. Any help would be great on anything pertaining to OCS and physical fitness.

"Be careful out there..." "If I was careful I would have joined the Coast Guard."

dcstruble

Dig in the archives of airwarriors - you're not the first, so there's lots of gouge out there.

Night before, eh? Have fun and relax. Check out a movie at the Rave or check out Pensacola Beach for future liberty spots and dinner. Ducks on base is a great place to talk to people - you'll see the people in johnny cash uniforms. Get you orders stamped on Sat for extra pay, but check in as late as possible according to your orders on Sunday. You'll yell less.

Sleep isn't a big deal because you will get 7 hours if you go to bed when they tell you. You will be exhausted regardless, but NOTHING IS WORTH STAYING UP FOR PAST TAPS. Nothing - not even candio wisdom.

PT? Run an 8 min mile pace for three miles or a 7 min miles pace for 1.5 miles. Be able to do 80+ pushups and 100+ situps in two min. OCS form is 90 degree elbow on push and crossed arms on chest with elbows anywhere on quads for sits. These numbers are to graduate OCS but the closer you get before you go in the less PT will wear you out. STRETCH YOUR MUSCLES! "Bulldog!"

There's a Word document out there that breaks down the first week by day and then gives an overview of the following weeks. It's out there and it might ease your nerves. Good luck and never forget that there are 100 other people who didn't get to go through hell because you took their spot. Work hard and keep a positive mental attitude. It really does become fun.

grouch

dcstuble, thanks that hole 1 out of 100 makes me feel good.
marcurb, I'll be there the first week of february so I'll see you then.

jaznups

This is from a past post like a year ago and I thought it seemed like good advice so I'm reprinting it for those that may want to take a look at it!

Not my words.....[:D]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok Russell and to those who is interested. Here is the gouge my friend sent me about two weeks after he graduated from OCS (Aug. 2001)

“Try to consolidate everything in your shower roll so you can quickly access only what is important. You will be allowed about 10 min every morning and evening to shower, which is to say for 10 minutes 45+ candidates are trying to share 15 showers. In my indoc shower roll I had a bar of soap in the case, a toothbrush and toothpaste, and a safety razor. You will not need shampoo come Tuesday because you have no hair to wash.

Memorize everything below verbatim except the chain of command, as you do not know each individuals names. Do familiarize your self with the chain of command structure.

Anchors Aweigh
The Marines’ Hymn
Chain of command
Code of Conduct
General Orders of a Sentry
Phonetic Alphabet

The songs you will need to know as quickly as possible. The knowledge of chain of command, code of conduct, general orders of a sentry, officer rank structure (USN, USMC), enlisted rank structure (USN, USMC), breast insignia/sleeve devices, Naval mission, warfare, and phonetic alphabet. You must know for the 4th 6th and 9th week inspections. The knowledge of Navy Weapon Systems, Naval Aircraft, and Ships of the U.S. Fleet. you need to know on the 9th week inspections.”

He also gave me a list of things to bring to OCS. He says it’s much better then the list that your recruiter gives you.

Important Papers
Original orders and five copies
Certified copy of birth certificate
Certified copy of college transcripts showing degree earned
Personal Gear
10 pair underwear
10 white crew neck T-shirts
(Not Hanes, the neck stretches. Jordasch is best)
10 pair white crew socks (no stripes or colors)
High-quality running shoes (you will be issues a new pair but you will use your set for the in-PRT on Monday)
Personal toiletries bag with items listed below
$600 in cash
Calculator – cheap pocket style
Rubber bands for shirt rolls
5+ ziplock bags
2 disposable lighters
Flashlight – size ‘AA’ batteries
Spare batteries – size ‘AA’
Alarm clock (battery operated and no radio capabilities, LED is preferred)
Blanket
Watch (cheap one) you only ware a watch when you are section leader and in your last two weeks
2 black pens
Stationary and stamp to write home
Two plane white bath towels

Personal Toiletries
Two toothbrushes
Toothpaste
Shaving Device (you may bring an electric razor but for indoc week bring a safety razor)
Q-tips
Deodorant
Fingernail trimmers
Shampoo
Soap and Case
Sunscreen

That’s all he gave me, I hope it helps!

Kyle

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope that helps ppl not have to sort through past posts I just happened to have come across it and saved it...

Jaz

There are two kinds of people that amaze me -- those that know absolutely everything and those that know absolutely nothing.

jbking14

marcurb, I will be one of the officer candidates yelling at you when you arrive on the fourth, just remember, I was in your shoes on sept 28th. All we are doing is getting you ready for your drill instructor which you will meet bright and early on wed morning after you arrive. Keep you eye on the ball and dont loose focus.

OC King, 08-03

marcurb

Man I am scared ****less right now, i dont know what i am going to do with myself when i am getting yelled at from a million directions, i guess my character will most definately be tested. Thanks for the encouragement. Do you know what class number I will be in? Any tips on when to check in?

"Be careful out there..." "If I was careful I would have joined the Coast Guard."

jbking14

you will be class 14-03. dont be scared, the people yelling at you for initally can really do nothing to you. All we are trying to do is get you "locked on" so you wont be killed by your DI too bad the rest of the week. Trust me, you will learn quickly, so dont worry. as far as when you should show up... I believe you are supposed to be here by 12:00 sunday, if you fly in on saturday, get a hotel, hit the town. Do not show up before you have to! Trust me, the extra few hours will be nice. and if you are driving, make sure you leave extra candy that wont melt, pain releivers, etc in your car. You are allowed to make trips to your car, but are not allowed any of that trash in the school... these are just things i wish people had told me before i came.

marcurb

Thanks JB! I have been trying to get all the advice I can. My dad was in the navy and went through boot camp and he told me that no matter what people say about their experience my experience will be different. He said it wont be as good as they say or as bad as they say it is. I am so thankful to have a helping hand in getting through the process. Thanks for the advice, it is much appreciated. Hope all is going well for you and your class, keep it up you are almost there.

adam

SNA, VT-21
all i can say is, GET IN SHAPE!!!!!!!!!!!

i graduated in honor class 04-03 on 01 nov, and i'm pretty sure you'll be blessed with the same di 04 was, although he's trying to get an earlier class at the moment. don't want to spoil it for you by telling you his name, you'll find out wednesday morning of your first week. he'll "rpt you until your little hearts pop." a little background, he spent one tour as the lead physical fitness instructor at parris island and is a pt nazi. have fun!

marcurb

Come on Adam tell me his name!! Congrats on the commission, way to go. Tell me what his running schedule is like and what pace he first starts us out at. What else can you tell me about what not to do?

"Gentlemen: All the Branches of the Service are 'Honorable and Noble.' Each one of you has served your country well. Be proud of that."

(signed) GOD, USN (Ret)

marcurb

Man I hope that I dont get killed! I just want to get through the program without being seen. Well, tell your husband I said good luck and keep up the hard work.

"Gentlemen: All the Branches of the Service are 'Honorable and Noble.' Each one of you has served your country well. Be proud of that."

(signed) GOD, USN (Ret)

adam

SNA, VT-21
can't tell you his name, don't want to spoil it. you will run more at first than the other classes did, but it is for your own good. you guys will be the hardest, toughest class at ocs! (we were) remember, i'm not even sure you'll get him since he's trying to get an earlier class right now.

just remember why you decided to join. it's easy to forget during your first week. my work day today was: phone muster at 0730, brief at 1030, fly from 1230-1430, debrief until 1530, home at 1630. keep your eye on the prize.

adam

marcurb

Thanks adam,
my running is improving, i hope that i will be ok by the time i get there but i probably wont if what you say is true. To tell you the truth, i would like a hard DI, I think that it will be good for me and i want to be in awesome shape. Well, if there is anything you can think of let me know. good luck.

(signed) GOD, USN (Ret)

adam

SNA, VT-21
sorry to disappoint, the wonderful gysgt aurelio is taking charge of the class that just started this week instead of your class. he was originally not supposed to have a class until yours, but i think he's been on such a rampage since we graduated they had to give him one so he'd lay off of everyone else. i feel sorry for those poor maggots...

adam

Status
Not open for further replies.