• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone else see a roadtrip coming?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Hey All,
I'm on leave (in Miami, go figure) and wanted to know what you guys in corpus with pets were planning on doing if/when the evac order comes down. The check in brief a few months ago was fuzzy on what happens to my dog when dolly rolls through. Anyone got any ideas/suggestions?

It says you can kennel them on base, but that there are limited slots and it is not climate controlled. Number for the Animal Defense League is:

210-655-1481

Info taken from the hurricane preparation packet, which you can also find on the TW-4 website.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Last I heard was that all people who live on the island and base have a recommended evacuation and should live with friends in town. Since it's only recommended, they won't be reimbursed for hotels in town. Obviously, this is subject to change and we should get official word on tomorrow.

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
A friend in 22 said that Krock is going to have a voluntary evac tomorrow... Haven't heard anything other than this so I have no idea if it's true. Figured I'd go in tomorrow and see what's up myself. That and I need to do some errands while I'm there. Might as well see what's up.

But officially... They kinda suck at keeping us in the loop. Would be nice if the sked had some note on it. Like if the storm does this evac likely. If it goes here, evac likely... Just to let us know what they are thinking...

MasterBates

Basically, if we want to evac, we need to get the heck outta dodge by tomorrow afternoon at the latest. Same deal here. Going to work in AM to see what the deal is.

IrishNavy05

pilot
Contributor
Hey All,
I'm on leave (in Miami, go figure) and wanted to know what you guys in corpus with pets were planning on doing if/when the evac order comes down. The check in brief a few months ago was fuzzy on what happens to my dog when dolly rolls through. Anyone got any ideas/suggestions?

Last year when I was at VT-35, basically all studs were on the fly-out list, and we'd be boarding C-12's/T-44's the minute the Evac started. You could get taken off the list if you were married and had dependents to help Evac, or if you talk to the O in charge of the HurrEvac, he might let you off the fly-out list if you convince him your dog is a dependent. But like someone else said, if you're going to the base you evac to, kennel space is limited, so you might be footing the bill yourself.

Not sure if the same is true for primary students. I suspect they'll fly out as many as possible in T-34's and advanced birds. As they reminded us many times, the planes are worth more than your car that gets left behind.

The other thing some people did was find a generous, married buddy whose significant other was willing to take your pet with them.

Flugelman

Contributor
Last I heard was that all people who live on the island and base have a recommended evacuation and should live with friends in town. Since it's only recommended, they won't be reimbursed for hotels in town. Obviously, this is subject to change and we should get official word on tomorrow.

That's funny because when Hurricane Allen had Corpus Christi boresighted in August of 1980, (Allen was a Cat V record setter for hurricanes in the Gulf) the TW-4 Commodore put the word out that all personnel and dependents should take shelter aboard NAS. Most of us used common sense and evacuated our families. Mine went to Dallas because family was there. I spoke with my neighbor (VT-28 OpsO) afterward and he told me the senior officer present in VT-28 was a LtJg. Hurricane Allen, after heading straight for CC for 2 1/2 days, stalled about 100 miles offshore, meandered around for a bit, then headed for and made landfall at Brownsville.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
T-34s out of Corpus are leaving.... we'll see you all in other Texas towns. Cheers.