• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone Else feel completely lost in frist weeks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I did see Jelly during the FIST inspection a few weeks back... But anyway, I saw the "MV-22" syllabus coursemap in the MPTS book. I still just don't see them putting that in practice anytime soon. MPTS itself is already later than promised. God only knows when we'll have the rest. I don't doubt that the syllabus will probably be a helo/multi-engine combo platter, but I don't think that it will be putting studs on the street anytime soon.

We still haven't finished OT&E on the MV-22, and there will have to be at least a couple VMM squadrons fully stood up before we start to need boot pilots to fill slots. That will end up being at least 2 years from today. The other thing that sticks out is that the experienced fleet pilots who were picked up for the program are checking into VMX and VMMT this fall to take part in OT&E. What's a boot going to do in an opeval program? I hope you're right, that it will be earlier, because I'm a big proponent of the V-22, I just think there'd be more on the radar screen if V-22 SNAs were right around the corner.

Demento

Old Salt
Excellent point

phrogdriver said:
I did see Jelly during the FIST inspection a few weeks back...

The Marines either will turn on the "make me Osprey studs" now spigots or they won't, as before. The alleged "plan" will probably, as you note, change again before you ever get the "execute" order. Insofar as the "syllabus" bit, there is enough there to get started, since on the helo end, it is already "ready to wear" in the MPTS syllabus, which as you know will take some getting used to. If the Marines want the Osprey products bad enough, the syllabus on the Multi Engine side will somehow get done on time.

Ever heard of interim approval? :tongue2_1

As I understand it, you are an HT IP? You're doing God's work, man, Bless you. :D

Bevo16

pilot
I just finished up the RI portion and only have Night Fams and the last H-Tac's left. On my drive home today (after my AN ON solo) I was thinking back to how lost I felt my first few days. You see the mountian of books and just getting ready for CPT's and the Aero & Systems tests seem like an impossible goal. The only way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time, so don't think about everything that you have to get through, just the next thing. If you don't know what you should focus on first, ask someone who is a month in front of you. If all of those guys are to busy, ask a winger. They don't have anything else to do but answer your questions anyway.

I was really down for my first few weeks here. It sucks going from the guy who knew everything in primary to the idiot here. One day you know how to fly and the next day you can't even do the most basic things. No kidding, I wanted to DOR after Fam 2, but by Fam 5 I had cracked the code and I have loved it ever since. Just take it one bite at a time.

towbubba

boot 46 pilot
phrogdriver said:
I did see Jelly during the FIST inspection a few weeks back... But anyway, I saw the "MV-22" syllabus coursemap in the MPTS book. I still just don't see them putting that in practice anytime soon. MPTS itself is already later than promised. God only knows when we'll have the rest. I don't doubt that the syllabus will probably be a helo/multi-engine combo platter, but I don't think that it will be putting studs on the street anytime soon.

We still haven't finished OT&E on the MV-22, and there will have to be at least a couple VMM squadrons fully stood up before we start to need boot pilots to fill slots. That will end up being at least 2 years from today. The other thing that sticks out is that the experienced fleet pilots who were picked up for the program are checking into VMX and VMMT this fall to take part in OT&E. What's a boot going to do in an opeval program? I hope you're right, that it will be earlier, because I'm a big proponent of the V-22, I just think there'd be more on the radar screen if V-22 SNAs were right around the corner.
Well I guess we better all vote for Bush if we want to see the Osprey program come to fruition. If Mr Kerry gets in he will probably vote against it and it will go the way of the Comanche. Until then I will hope for the Cobra and after my body count I will try to transition unless it looks like I can get my FAC tour and it looks like the Zulu will be out. :icon_wink

thartley

Self paced studying

I know it is hard trying to teach yourself everything at the HT's but it is what the RAG is going to be like. There weren't any tests but they gave me two weeks to go through all of the computer based training, teach myself how to preflight the Huey and all of the checklists. You just need to find someone who is a little bit ahead of you and ask them about what the IP's espect from you. Just remember to pass that knowledge down the line. If anyone has questions about the Huey and Cobra RAG or what it is like out in the fleet feel free to email me thartley@hotmail.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.