• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anyone Else feel completely lost in frist weeks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOSWO

Naval Aviator, MH-60S Knighthawk
I just seem to feel a bit overwhelmed....I have read the books, done the course work, and studied my ass off...yet I really still feel lost on everything from systems to aerodynamics and even what look easy (checklists for CPT-1) when thrown in with everything else is starting to get a little confusing....will probably be better after CPT-1...anyways am I just way behind the power curve or does everyone starting advanced start out this way.....thanks.....
banghead_125.gif

moestud

Everyone feels like they are behind the power curve when you first start advanced. Probably because we are so self-paced and we are teaching ourselves things we know nothing about. Don't worry, try to find someone ahead of you to go thru the checklists with you and do a preflight, etc... Its overwhelming, I know. You would think as something as basic as the checklist would be cake, but its not until you've done it a bunch of times. Hang in there...

NOSWO

Naval Aviator, MH-60S Knighthawk
LOL thanks just wanted to make sure that it wasn't just me.....checklist is getting better, finally getting my wife involved, just need to focus on one thing at a time and not so much the big picture...thanks fot the reply.....

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
After CPTs things start to gel a little bit more. And it is a little less overwhelming. However the fire hose is on full blast for the first half of advanced helos. Not that RI's are easy but you can concentrate on just RI's. And you don’t have to learn checklist, areo, systems eps and all the rest. just keep your head down you will get it.

towbubba

boot 46 pilot
Do people seem to get Cobras or Hueys if they want 'em at South field. I heard there were three Cobra slots last selection and only one wanted them is this true? Why don't more people want the "snake"? And when will the Zulu versions Cobra/Huey be in the RAG's? I know they changed priority to the Huey first. What's up with the Osprey? Anybody possibly selecting that out of their helo class?

Vic

Your MOM!
pilot
The Osprey pipeline has you going through corpus for props before helo training at whiting.

towbubba

boot 46 pilot
That's freakin hilarious but seriously how do you select the damn Osprey? Do you do it out of primary or is it the alternantive to 130's out of prop school?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
There is no Osprey pipeline as of yet. They haven't even decided what it will be when they do have to have it. Most likely it will be predominantly helo-based. Look for it to be 2006 before they start taking studs out of flt school for it.

Demento

Old Salt
Sort of true

phrogdriver said:
There is no Osprey pipeline as of yet. They haven't even decided what it will be when they do have to have it. Most likely it will be predominantly helo-based. Look for it to be 2006 before they start taking studs out of flt school for it.

But 2006 is not quite right.

The syllabus is in draft, the pipeline is established "on paper" and was three years ago. Back in 2000 or 2001, four guys got hand selected for V-22 after some New River Osprey guys validated the test syllabus, and then after the V-22 crash . . . all of a sudden "there was no where to go" and they got reselected to other pipelines. Look for the V-22 option to start showing up in about a year.

Whoever said it was a Multi then Helo is right. The cost of a proper tilt rotor trainer, such as a Bell 609, was apparently too much for the Navy to afford.

The HT squadrons should be telling the Marines waaaaaaaaaay in advance about when the first chances for Ospreys will be available. (Until the next crash???? who knows)

Look for the first slots somewhere around October - Dec of 2004. (Inside info)

cricechex

NOSWO, the pressure must really be on! You can't even spell right :) Just kidden. Keep up the hard work, can't waite to be in your position.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
Ok, last I checked we all had at least most of a high school education. Spell to the best of your ability please. :)

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm no insider, but I was at VMX-22 a few weeks ago, and those guys had no idea what the syllabus is going to look like. I'm a south park IP now and have done a lot of work with selections, and there's NOTHING on the horizon at all. The V-22 has almost a year of OT&E left before the FRS fully stands up. I don't know what a boot would contribute to that. I'm just a lowly company-grade, so I might have to owe a few beers on that one, but I don't buy that studs will select V-22s in 9 months. Actually, if that happens, drinks are on me.

Personally, I think the multi-engine aspect isn't as closely tied to flying the V-22 as one might think. The biggest thing to take from multi training is handing single-engine EPs. The V-22 has a "sync-shaft" connecting the rotors if one engine fails, so the handling will be completely different. They could do F/W form and RIs, but I think the value added would be minimal. You should have a handle on that stuff from "primediates."

Demento

Old Salt
You might want to talk to Jelly

phrogdriver said:
I'm no insider, but I was at VMX-22 a few weeks ago, and those guys had no idea what the syllabus is going to look like. I'm a south park IP now and have done a lot of work with selections, and there's NOTHING on the horizon at all. The V-22 has almost a year of OT&E left before the FRS fully stands up. I don't know what a boot would contribute to that. I'm just a lowly company-grade, so I might have to owe a few beers on that one, but I don't buy that studs will select V-22s in 9 months. Actually, if that happens, drinks are on me.

Personally, I think the multi-engine aspect isn't as closely tied to flying the V-22 as one might think. The biggest thing to take from multi training is handing single-engine EPs. The V-22 has a "sync-shaft" connecting the rotors if one engine fails, so the handling will be completely different. They could do F/W form and RIs, but I think the value added would be minimal. You should have a handle on that stuff from "primediates."

The training module for V-22, for helo's, is in the new syllabus. The one for multi engine is still in work with the guys in Corpus.

Status
Not open for further replies.