• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anybody in Vance AFB right now?

that mike guy

JSUPT primary @ VAFB, Enid, OK
Out here not only do you get large variances (in just about every aspect) between the 8th and 33rd, you also get these differences between the flights in each of the squadrons. You will even see some differences between your flight and your sister flight (where the other half of your class goes). Because of this I can't really attest to how difficult you will have it in the 8th; I can tell you to expect to have 12 hour days for the first month, expect to be flying/simming a lot, and expect to do nothing but study/chairfly in what little free time you have for at least the first month. You will get better at flying and it will happen quickly. As for if Vance actually churns out better Navy studs than Corpus or Whiting I couldn't tell you.

While I do miss Navy training, I will say that the AF will never waste a good flying day, nor will they let a sim or flight slot go unused; expect to have at least one event per day. So while it may suck out here in Enid, America, at least the AF is doing all they can to make it suck for the shortest duration possible ;). Oh and have fun memorizing the NWCs down there in the 8th.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
When I was C Flight Commander, I visited my students while they were still in Phase I ground school and gave them the best gift of their time in UPT: the link to the T-6 Syllabus.
http://www.t6driver.com/jsupt/jppt_jsupt_syllabus.pdf
It literally is the bible for how the instructors schedule, train, and grade you. Most useful reading: Section D Course Training Standards. Can't argue with that!

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
All I know about Vance is, when studs came back for Helo Advanced in Whiting, there was a marked amount of deprogramming that had to take place early-on. Kids had to learn the Navy way, and were given a few opportunities (sitting in on CPT's) to adjust before moving on in the syllabus.

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
Still memorizing notes warnings and cautions verbatim? That was retarded.

I am not sure what pipeline you went through, but my Navy training required me to know NWC Verbatim or as close as possible to the actual thing. Some IPs were even anal about ands/ors. To this day I try to memorize those verbatim, it helps for the NATOPS closed books.

So is Vance something that if you volunteer you will most likely get? Since no one else wants it...
Does volunteering for that route help, hurt, or have no effect on your chances for your future aircraft selection?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I am not sure what pipeline you went through, but my Navy training required me to know NWC Verbatim or as close as possible to the actual thing. Some IPs were even anal about ands/ors. To this day I try to memorize those verbatim, it helps for the NATOPS closed books.

Apparently they were breeding you for your HSLM future.

You must have hit a pocket of people trying too hard. Just as a data point for me (this isn't a dig on you), but was your on-wing a VP or HSL guy?

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
Apparently they were breeding you for your HSLM future.

You must have hit a pocket of people trying too hard. Just as a data point for me (this isn't a dig on you), but was your on-wing a VP or HSL guy?

I do not think it mattered at 27 whether the IP was HSL/VP. I have even heard of HSC guys being pretty tough at 27 (Although, I did fly with this particular HSC guy and he was chilled. I guess if you know you stuff they do not mess with you, too much). We were always told to know the EPs verbatim (w/ NWC), that way there were not questions asked. So I did!

I had two On-Wings and they both were HSL and both were night and day (One was a detachment On-Wing). So I am not sure it even matters as I encountered the same from VP guys. Of course sometimes I would miss it a bit, and some would not even care. So I do not think it is/was a matter of them being all crazy about it. It is/was just making sure our knowledge is/was good.

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
Which in the end is all that matters. Something that gets lost on some.

I just read what you quoted and I had to go back and fix it.. It did not sound good grammar wise... LOL!

I am a bit more interested in knowing the A/C than most, because not only do I fly it, it also helps me understand EPs and in the end I feel it makes me a better pilot. The NWC sometimes help tie in the systems and the EPs slightly better, were sometimes connections would not be made so easily.

81montedriver

pilot
All I know about Vance is, when studs came back for Helo Advanced in Whiting, there was a marked amount of deprogramming that had to take place early-on. Kids had to learn the Navy way, and were given a few opportunities (sitting in on CPT's) to adjust before moving on in the syllabus.

I would say that more often than not, it's on a case by case basis whether this occurs. When I showed up to Corpus for advanced, we didn't start flying until a couple of months after ground school started. During that time, I got gouged up by the other Navy and Marines studs on what I should expect to know and prepare for flights. After ground school we had CPT's which further helped me prepare. By the time I got to the flights, you couldn't tell whether I had gone through AF or Navy primary.

As to whether someone should volunteer or not? It depends. I'll tell you how it worked out to my advantage. Going into API, I was at the tail end of my peers, simply due to the fact that many of my peers already had PPL's and did not have to go through IFS. At the completion of primary, I was now ahead of most of my peers. The scheduled end date at Vance is when you MUST be done, that's simply how they do it. If you get behind due to weather, you will start to fly weekends and fly doubles during the week. You may even sim up to the next block. Either way they will get you done.

Whereas in Navy training, weather delays, aircraft down to maintenance, these things will keep pushing your end date further and further.

One last thought, those mando 12 hour days, I'm pretty sure mine lasted for AT LEAST 2 months. And if your flight starts sucking on tests or checkrides, they WILL bring back those 12 hour days until your flight fixes itself. At least that was my case.

B.U.Condor

So I was 1 of the 3 lucky bastards in my API class of 26 total that will be heading to Vance in late May. I was wondering how the track selections for intermediate training were looking as of late? Mostly Helos/props? or is anyone getting jets?