• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Any wannabe NFOs out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

radio_freq

Hey guys,
Any people out there that want to be an NFO or are appling? I'm new to the forum and I have noticed that the traffic has gone down. I'm going to be taking the ASTB next month to see if it is worth completing a package for OCS. Thanks. TAlk to you soon,

G

grouch

radio, I am in the same boat Aimee is in, same bat class, same bat designator. Good luck with the test and packet.

Aimee

My OAR was a 49 (I don't know what all the #'s were...). I can tell you that it was a fluke that I even qualified for NFO. My recruiter offered it to me when he called me to tell me I was not selected for Supply (reason given was too many violations on my record...TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS if you can imagine!!!!). The Navy was waiving requirement for minimum score on the biographical profile portion that I originally did not score high on.

My GPA was about a 3.2 (I think....its been so long since I put my package together!!!). My major was Spanish, but I also have an MBA, which I am sure helped.

As far as my PRT scores, I didn't do great. Better than passing, but I think I scored in the Good Low/Satisfactory High across the board.

In any case, its all about timing. Seem to be some people on this site who did better than me across the board, yet did not get accepted.

I have a friend from high school who is now an accessions officer. I saw her a month or two ago and she told me that it is more competitive now than ever. She also mentioned (can't say she is not brutally honest) that had I turned in my application any later than I did (Mar 02), that I probably wouldn't have even gotten my slot.

Good luck!!!

topher1235

Pat- Which aircraft are you aiming for F-18 or EA-6's? I heard some gouge that CTW6 is recieving their first T-6's, is this true? Well I hope your training goes well.

Topher

Pat1USMC

Enroute to VMAQ-1
I'm aiming for F-18's. The majority of Marines at my stage are doing the same. We'll see what happens towards the end of our training...
The rollout ceremony for the T-6 was about three weeks ago. I don't know when they will be starting to train with them, but there was a T-6 in the hangar today, and one flew over out T-34 one day as we were landing so my guess would be a couple months. You guys who get to fly them will be very lucky.
Where are the other future Marine NFO's at right now?

AllenAzali

Are NFO jobs more technical? It seems like their skill comes more with managing the aircraft's defense, communications and navigation systems.

Besides telling me that one drives and one shoots the bombs, can anybody tell me how SNA and NFO compare to each other?

grouch

Hey Allen, go get the book titled Iron Claw. Forgot the author. Good stuff about a prowler driver in the gulf. It gives you a good insight to what the FOs do on that platform. Really good read.

grouch

Alright heres the poop. Ironclaw, A Navy Carrier Pilot's War Experience by Sherman Baldwin. Barnes&Noble.com has 61 copies availabe for about six bucks.

Morning to ya!

radio_freq

Iron Claw is a great read. Another good one is Angle of Attack. It's a new book, you can probably get it in a grocery store.
Thanks for all of the replies! I'm taking the ASTB on Dec 10. Looking forward to seeing how I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.