• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Any Tesla owners?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Can they, though? Where might one’s local a chevron station owner get ahold of one of these relics?
On my grandpappies farm we used something like this…cost about $2500.

But the issue really isn’t the delivery system….it is getting the gas TO the delivery system.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can they, though? Where might one’s local a chevron station owner get ahold of one of these relics?
Don't be dense. I never said you would use the original gas pump. You would, if you could find one? They are for sale everyday. I was clear enough. But mechanical hand pumps like I envisioned are all over the internet, in any large city and probably some small rural towns. Suffice it to say, gasoline would not stay in gas station tanks for long if people really needed it. My point being. It is easier to retrieve gas from storage to fill a vehicle than it is to manually generate electricity to charge a car. Temporary solution to be sure, but doable. Charging you Tesla with a bicycle powered generator is not.
Bison-Pumps-Deep-Well-Hand-Pump.jpgzhp-462.jpg41BBA+GmvvL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You can fill the tank of a Ford F-150 with a mechanical pump a hell of a lot faster then you will charge a Tesla with any variety of mechanical electricity generator. I can imagine a time when that would be important, but can't say I can imagine it actually happening anytime soon.
Don't be dense. I never said you would use the original gas pump. You would, if you could find one? They are for sale everyday. I was clear enough. But mechanical hand pumps like I envisioned are all over the internet, in any large city and probably some small rural towns. Suffice it to say, gasoline would not stay in gas station tanks for long if people really needed it. My point being. It is easier to retrieve gas from storage to fill a vehicle than it is to manually generate electricity to charge a car. Temporary solution to be sure, but doable. Charging you Tesla with a bicycle powered generator is not.

As you point out, there is not a likely scenario that any of this is needed but I would hazard to say that charging an electrical vehicle by solar panels or even a bicycle-powered generator is probably more viable than trying to scrounge for gas in a longer term survival scenario. Plus a bike helps you keep up your fitness, and who can forget the first rule of surviving the zombie apocalypse?!

1675101450032.png

GlassBanger

IntelO
Contributor
Not on the Tesla specific topic, but I attended the DC Auto Show this past weekend and the new selection of EVs coming out are really impressive, especially from Toyota... the BZ4X was gorgeous. Polestar was there too, which I was glad for because I'd been eyeing them online for awhile and wanted to sit in one. Let me tell you, the back window is like trying to see through a needle eye-hole. Ridiculous. The entire car is one big blindspot 0/10 do not recommend.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Any Tesla owners out there? With recent price reductions and the Federal $7500 tax credit good through March 2023, it now seems like a Model 3 RWD is doable at $44K MSRP. We have the cheapest electricity (coal, baby! dig!) here in the fly over states. I've rented a Tesla (Model 3 and Y) from Hertz a number of times and I am sold on the driving experience.

What are the thoughts of AW land on this?

Thanks

View attachment 37424
Chuck, my advice is to be wary of the battery life problems that living in the Midwest will incur. Those temperature fluctuations will not only reduce charge duration but also reduce battery life. You're already looking at having to change the battery bank at around the 7 year mark and that's not cheap (Upwards of $20k depending upon where you're sourcing the batteries from). You also have limited options for service/repair providers and will have to pay attention to subscription fees for some of the cooler bells and whistles like Full Self Driving.

This is not to totally dissuade you from EV ownership but so you can go in with both eyes open. Perhaps those compromises work for you when they may not work for someone else.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
You can fill the tank of a Ford F-150 with a mechanical pump a hell of a lot faster then you will charge a Tesla with any variety of mechanical electricity generator. I can imagine a time when that would be important, but can't say I can imagine it actually happening anytime soon.
View attachment 37446
Mechanical pumps were used into the 1940s at gas stations around the country. All of my uncle's farms had mechanical pumps for fueling tractors and other implements. Temporary portable mechanical pumps can be set up in minutes.

Some farms still use them. My uncle has a mechanical pump for his diesel tank. Simple, and never breaks.

sevenhelmet

pilot
Chuck, my advice is to be wary of the battery life problems that living in the Midwest will incur. Those temperature fluctuations will not only reduce charge duration but also reduce battery life. You're already looking at having to change the battery bank at around the 7 year mark and that's not cheap (Upwards of $20k depending upon where you're sourcing the batteries from). You also have limited options for service/repair providers and will have to pay attention to subscription fees for some of the cooler bells and whistles like Full Self Driving.

This is not to totally dissuade you from EV ownership but so you can go in with both eyes open. Perhaps those compromises work for you when they may not work for someone else.

What's the cost-per-mile when you factor in the average life of the battery bank? Until it's equal to or less than the equivalent diesel or gasoline engine (to say nothing of reduced range and required charging time), I won't be sold. Yeah, the acceleration is fun, but for a vehicle that needs to be ready at all times to haul heavy items and/or go long distances, EV doesn't really meet my needs. I'm also skeptical about the relative environmental impact being less.

All that being said... I do have an electric riding lawnmower for my yard. That thing is quiet, simple, and clean. Since I only use it to mow our half-acre once a week, the charging time and limited range are not a factor. It's nice to come in not smelling like mower exhaust and have my wife ask, "Did you mow yet?" because the mower is so quiet.

GroundPounder

Some farms still use them. My uncle has a mechanical pump for his diesel tank. Simple, and never breaks.
I've got a 550 gal diesel tank with an hand pump, it will work until the end of time with 0 electricity. It takes about 3 or 4 minutes to hand pump 20 gallons and off you go. My biggest problem is that no one wants to deliver small amounts. I try to never let it go below half, but the suppliers see 250 gallons as almost a nuisance delivery.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
….suppliers see 250 gallons as almost a nuisance delivery.
This! I have researched options for moving the Griz-O-Copter off airfield and the only real challenge is fuel! I can’t get anything less than 1000 gallons delivered and most airfields refuse to sell from the pump into anything but an aircraft.

sevenhelmet

pilot
This! I have researched options for moving the Griz-O-Copter off airfield and the only real challenge is fuel! I can’t get anything less than 1000 gallons delivered and most airfields refuse to sell from the pump into anything but an aircraft.

Your best bet is a transfer tank with a built-in pump the bed of a pickup truck. I had a buddy growing up whose dad mowed a grass runway on their small farm, and that's how he moved fuel to their Cherokee and C-182 airplanes.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Your best bet is a transfer tank with a built-in pump the bed of a pickup truck. I had a buddy growing up whose dad mowed a grass runway on their small farm, and that's how he moved fuel to their Cherokee and C-182 airplanes.
I agree, but thus far I haven’t found an airport that will allow me to pump 100LL to a transfer tank.

sevenhelmet

pilot
I agree, but thus far I haven’t found an airport that will allow me to pump 100LL to a transfer tank.
I think there are rules about that. Is there an auto fuel STC for the Griz-o-copter? Car gas would be easier to buy and transport.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Really? NOVA! Go figure. Last time I put 5 gal of 100LL in a plastic jerry can from the self serve the fuel truck driver walked by and said "boat or tuner ?" When I told him it was for metering in fuel to my plane to make a dip stick, he shrugged. Hauling away fuel in a can for terrestrial use or fueling a plane inside a hangar made no difference to him.

I am sure you have a ignorant local airport rule gone viral. How come you can roll into Chevron, put gasoline in a can or even a 50 gallon transfer tank in the bed of your truck, but drive onto the airport across the street and you can't do the same with AVGAS? I bet you would not find the same rules on an airport down Roanoke or even Richmond way.