• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Any reason to salute with left hand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
JIMC5499 said:
When I was as NAS Jax in the 80's one of the favorite sports for some of the new JO's was to hang around the Exchange at lunch time and see how many enlisted they could b**ch out about salutes, uniforms and haircuts. I saw a couple of ensigns coming up the sidewalk walking along side each other about 5' apart so that I would have to pass between them to get to my car. As I passed between them I saluted with both hands at the same time said "Good afternoon sirs !"and left them standing there open mouthed.

That would have made me laugh so hard. I would have been in tears. Then I'd correct you on your grammar.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Then I'd correct you on your grammar.
One of my pet peeves as well. Doesn't anyone know how to say gentlemen? BTW, what's the female equivalent? Ladies?

Brett

shortncurly

I believe so, because "ma'ams" just sounds... dumb. And wrong. But I'm not entirely sure; that's going to drive me nuts now.... gonna have to search my books for that one.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
KBayDog said:
It is "Ladies."
I guess that would logically follow (ladies and gentlemen), but it sounds kind of informal. "HEY LADIES!" (spoken in my best drunk, gruff hobo voice).

Brett

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
Why in the h*ll would I call a pair of ensigns "Gentlemen"? Look in the dictionary for the definition of gentlemen and tell me that it applies to any ensign that you may have known.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
JIMC5499 said:
Why in the h*ll would I call a pair of ensigns "Gentlemen"? Look in the dictionary for the definition of gentlemen and tell me that it applies to any ensign that you may have known.

Because you sound like a total dumbass saying "sirs" ;)

KBayDog

JIMC5499 said:

Based on your profile, I wouldn't call a pair of ensigns "Gentlemen," either! :D

Welcome aboard!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Because they are indeed officially Officers and (thus) Gentlemen! However, in this day and age the latter status usually gets mentioned if one is involved in conduct unbecoming said group of people . . .

And yes, saying "sirs" sounds ridiculous.

Super18Ordie

F/A-18 Ordnanceman
webmaster said:
Now this whole thing with Ordies and Linemen, saluting, flight deck, yada yada yada... There are so many permutations here, and as Brett said, when you have friggin weapons getting armed, there is definitely a reason for the hands being shown. Especially on the P3 when you have multiple ppl running all over the damn place out of view removing the pins, or doing voltage checks prior to the removal. For me, I damn well made sure that I saluted the lineman when I pulled out and he handed me off. Some of them have the "style" down, I don't know how many 3Ps I have had to remind, "dude, make sure you salute".... then after the salute, gotta throw the "shakka"... I have been all over the place, and have gotten a smile and a shakka back :D Surfs up brah!!

Ok because Im a dumb F-18 ordie. Whats a "shakka"?

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Super18Ordie said:
Ok because Im a dumb F-18 ordie. Whats a "shakka"?

Bruddah, someone's been deprived of meaningful, worthwhile time in Hawaii... :D

It's the thumb-pinky "hang ten" sign. Shaka brah! Now tell the guy behind the lunch counter to be sure to give me two scoops da kine rice...

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
webmaster said:
.... then after the salute, gotta throw the "shakka"... I have been all over the place, and have gotten a smile and a shakka back :D Surfs up brah!!
I did the salute/shakka yesterday and finally got one back from the lineman, I am slowly ingratiating my way into their SOPs down here.

"Sirs"- absolutely ridiculous. I had an FE who said it constantly until i started jabbing him with a pen everytime he said it. Just like Pavlov's Dog...

Cordespc

None
Contributor
I recall being at bootcamp Pass and Review and watching with great curiosity as a BM3 rendered a left-handed salute while piping aboard dignitaries.

Curiously, the Boatswain's Mate Non-Resident Training Course (NAVEDTRA 14343) does not address this phenomenon, and I'll be damned if I can find it in the BMR. A quick google search, however, yielded these results: "...Of interest, only the boatswain's mate is permitted to salute with the left hand, assuming the right hand is used with the call." ( http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cach...s/call.htm+left+handed+salute+boatswain&hl=en) If that ain't it, I'm all outta ideas. Cheers,
-Paul/AT1

KBayDog

Goober said:
Bruddah, someone's been deprived of meaningful, worthwhile time in Hawaii... :D

It's the thumb-pinky "hang ten" sign. Shaka brah! Now tell the guy behind the lunch counter to be sure to give me two scoops da kine rice...

You go North Shore an' get sum da' shave ice, brah!

bbennett73

zab1001 said:
What IS the deal with that place? I walked in there last October, in khakis, O-3, wings, 4 rows of ribbons, and have 3 enlisted Marines look straight at me and continue to dick around. Negative Corporal. After "speaking to them", I just felt kind of sick that I even had to do it to begin with. Not picking on the Marines, the Navy is just as bad...but of all the places I've worked, NAS PCola is the WORST for that kind of garbage.

Oh yeah, I also vote for the kid having a broken arm.

I had the opposite experience at NAS PCola. Every time I went to the NEX as an officer candidate, I had to tell people to NOT salute me, sailors and marines alike. I specifically remember asking a female seaman to please keep her seat as she scrambled to rise and salute as I passed. It was a proud and humbling moment for me as I realized that while I do have a few years, education, and experience beyond her, she too decided to serve her country and was due considerable respect. I determined then to never take lightly the courtesies offered me because of my rank.

Status
Not open for further replies.