• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Any reason to keep Navy Fed, USAA banking?

exNavyOffRec

My experience with GEICO was as a SN in A school. My driving record is 4 pages long. I told them this on the phone when signing up. They took an initial $50 from me for temporary coverage then dropped me a few weeks later. USAA on the other hand, checked my driving record while I was on the phone and insured me for less than GEICO and about half of what State Farm had been gouging me for before that.
That is one thing I will give USAA, they will pretty much make sure any military member will have insurance, worked with an older retired officer who could only be insured by USAA, he was pretty damn close to losing his license due to his tickets, most people in their 70's tend to drive way under the speed limit, he kind of went the other way with it LOL.

exNavyOffRec

NFCU does NOT sell their mortgages....other companies can and do sell them. We bought our home in Washington (late 90's) through a local mortgage company with a good rate. Within 6-months, our mortgage was sold to another company. A year later, another sale. When we bought our home in Pensacola in 2008, we used NFCU. No issues the entire time we owned the home.
That is something I asked several years ago when I refinanced, I had been through the mortgage being sold too many times, didn't want to go through that again.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I wonder what percentage of regular insurance customers get in an accident with a Geico customer who 1) gets cheap rates and 2) can't be bothered to drive while being on phone. Wife had one of those run ins on 264.....was middle of pack of massive pile up. Geico is still slow rolling the payout, over a year later. They are the pay day loan shark of auto insurance.

Are you surprised? It’s a Buffet company...

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
NFCU does NOT sell their mortgages....other companies can and do sell them.
Other than having to make a new login for a new website every once in a while, are there other downsides to this? I've had mine sold a couple times and it was pretty transparent.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Other than having to make a new login for a new website every once in a while, are there other downsides to this? I've had mine sold a couple times and it was pretty transparent.
It's just a pain in the butt....you sacrifice stability.

exNavyOffRec

I had one that was not the easiest, and then I had one that was a pain (OCWEN) they sold it and they kept trying to get payments from me.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Next time around try looking for a smaller lender that's hungry for business. Nothing wrong with a NFCU or USAA mortgage, but generally speaking they can definitely be beat.

Yeah, I did. At the time, they couldn't, especially with no junk fees. This was 2016. Got a VA at 2.75% with literally 0 fees from NFCU; put about 11% down.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I keep banking, personal article floaters (I've got a couple of custom made bass guitars, and no one comes close to their rates that covers musical instruments and equipment) and car insurance with USAA. Customer service on all has been great. Thinking about adding an umbrella policy.

Homeowners insurance I went with Nationwide. For the exact same coverage as USAA, they charge me 50%. I got it though guaranteedrate.com along with my mortgage. Customer service has been good.

exNavyOffRec

I keep banking, personal article floaters (I've got a couple of custom made bass guitars, and no one comes close to their rates that covers musical instruments and equipment) and car insurance with USAA. Customer service on all has been great. Thinking about adding an umbrella policy.

Homeowners insurance I went with Nationwide. For the exact same coverage as USAA, they charge me 50%. I got it though guaranteedrate.com along with my mortgage. Customer service has been good.
Just so you are aware as of July 1st Nationwide completely changed their insurance model, they are no longer technically "Nationwide agents" they are now all independent agents, this is going to mean some changes as that you will probably see some of the Nationwide signs start coming down and they will be able to sell other brands as well. This has caused some concern for the agents as the company used to negotiate leases and as a big company they could get some deals, now the agent themselves has to negotiate. The affect on rates is still unknown and probably will be for a year or so as cost are evaluated in the new model.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mrs Wink just the other day read to me from a Fortune article, it think, results of customer service ratings. USAA was at the top in every category from banking to insurance. Was surprised a bit as I think service quality has gone down a bit in the last few years.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Mrs Wink just the other day read to me from a Fortune article, it think, results of customer service ratings. USAA was at the top in every category from banking to insurance. Was surprised a bit as I think service quality has gone down a bit in the last few years.

I think in general, that's probably more indicative of the decreasing quality throughout the whole industry.