• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Any reason to keep Navy Fed, USAA banking?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Check out geico. Also, Have a broker shop your policy every other year or so.

I use my company's credit union (4% interest on checking balances up to 25k with x transactions each month) and Ally for other banking. Barclays had a decent online savings rate, too.

Vanguard/fidelity/schwab for brokerage and investment services.

USAA sucks. I keep a small checking and savings account out of habit, but nothing goes in or out of it other than checks for my kid. Make sure you kill every insurance policy you've got to get your subscribers account back.
4%???? Lies.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
FWIW, I haven't been able to find better rates than USAA for auto, Valuable Personal Property, or renters. When I owned a home in FL last, they were terrible, but they admitted it and were pricing themselves out of the market on purpose at the time. That may have changed.

Couldn't beat NFCU for my mortgage; their software sucked and I had to "re-e-sign" several documents and upload a few a couple times over frustratingly, but I couldn't beat their rate or the fact they had no junk fees at the time.

Also, while I infrequently use my NFCU Visa, it's a good one to have for eternity to build up the age of your credit score, not to mention, they gave me a massive credit line as an Ensign that I've never come close to using.

exNavyOffRec

Check out geico. Also, Have a broker shop your policy every other year or so.

I use my company's credit union (4% interest on checking balances up to 25k with x transactions each month) and Ally for other banking. Barclays had a decent online savings rate, too.

Vanguard/fidelity/schwab for brokerage and investment services.

USAA sucks. I keep a small checking and savings account out of habit, but nothing goes in or out of it other than checks for my kid. Make sure you kill every insurance policy you've got to get your subscribers account back.
You have to be very careful with GEICO, they are well known for getting lower rates for customers by cutting the coverage, they also are known for giving auto repair shops a very hard time if they try to use anything but used body parts, there are 2 body shops near me that in the past (may or may not still be the policy) that would not take any insurance work if it was for GEICO due to the issues of dealing with them.

There is a saying in the insurance industry, GEICO takes the most customers from the insurance carriers and the other insurance carriers get the most customers that have been with GEICO lol

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I wonder what percentage of regular insurance customers get in an accident with a Geico customer who 1) gets cheap rates and 2) can't be bothered to drive while being on phone. Wife had one of those run ins on 264.....was middle of pack of massive pile up. Geico is still slow rolling the payout, over a year later. They are the pay day loan shark of auto insurance.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
On the NFCU note, I have their American Express card. No fees, 3% back for gas, groceries, and restaurants. 1% for everything else. 25,000 bonus points for 3K in the first three months. Highly competitive everyday card for no annual fee.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
You have to be very careful with GEICO, they are well known for getting lower rates for customers by cutting the coverage, they also are known for giving auto repair shops a very hard time if they try to use anything but used body parts, there are 2 body shops near me that in the past (may or may not still be the policy) that would not take any insurance work if it was for GEICO due to the issues of dealing with them.

There is a saying in the insurance industry, GEICO takes the most customers from the insurance carriers and the other insurance carriers get the most customers that have been with GEICO lol
I've also heard a tale that GEICO purchased the first round of LIDAR guns for the MD State Police 20+ years ago, presumably to have cause to raise premiums on the lead-footed. Obviously the national capital area has a high concentration of GEICO clients. (Maybe a bit tin-foil hat of a tale, but wouldn't surprise me).

My experience with GEICO was as a SN in A school. My driving record is 4 pages long. I told them this on the phone when signing up. They took an initial $50 from me for temporary coverage then dropped me a few weeks later. USAA on the other hand, checked my driving record while I was on the phone and insured me for less than GEICO and about half of what State Farm had been gouging me for before that.

I've also replaced two lost iPhones (wife) and one lost wedding ring (me), fixed a car after a USAF COL and I collided, and fixed a basement after the sump pump failed. No issues ever, though the PP rates rose a bit after that second iPhone (understandably). So, I've stayed with USAA out of a combination of inertia/laziness and loyalty.

Don't bother with their mortgage branch. Nothing but bad stories from friends.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Couldn't beat NFCU for my mortgage
Next time around try looking for a smaller lender that's hungry for business. Nothing wrong with a NFCU or USAA mortgage, but generally speaking they can definitely be beat.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
4% on a checking/savings account doesn't sound right at this time. Seems like a deal they offer on the back end of a Ponzi scheme.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
4% on a checking/savings account doesn't sound right at this time. Seems like a deal they offer on the back end of a Ponzi scheme.

I assure you it's right. Go to the show and you too can reap some sweet bennies from places that incentivize productivity.

Or stick with navy fed and make .1% on your checking account.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
There is a 6 month wait I think.

Yep.

Do they require you to keep all insurance products in house for them to issue the umbrella policy? I don't know if we make enough yet to get one, but it's getting close enough in terms of assets we've scraped together over 15 years that I don't need a fucking ambulance chaser cleaning us out.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Next time around try looking for a smaller lender that's hungry for business. Nothing wrong with a NFCU or USAA mortgage, but generally speaking they can definitely be beat.
NFCU does NOT sell their mortgages....other companies can and do sell them. We bought our home in Washington (late 90's) through a local mortgage company with a good rate. Within 6-months, our mortgage was sold to another company. A year later, another sale. When we bought our home in Pensacola in 2008, we used NFCU. No issues the entire time we owned the home.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Yep.

Do they require you to keep all insurance products in house for them to issue the umbrella policy? I don't know if we make enough yet to get one, but it's getting close enough in terms of assets we've scraped together over 15 years that I don't need a fucking ambulance chaser cleaning us out.
I don’t know. I do know there is a minimum coverage on the basic policies before they will issue / let you keep the umbrella.

I should probably increase mine. But I’ve had it forever and have never used it.