• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Any Navy Pilot slots available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norm

Question About Designators?

When applying for Pilot, do I use designator 1310 for pilot or 1395, or does it matter?

Designators: 131X (Pilot), 132X (NFO), 130X (Aviation Support),139X (Pilot-T), 137X (NFO-T)

This is what I have found but what is Aviation Support, Pilot-T and NFO-T? What is the difference?

Thanks...

hornetframer

Rhino WSO
None
1395 is SNA (Student Naval Aviator)--- 1310 is Pilot. You have to be 1395 first. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

thrillseeker121

I am told there are 0 slots open for fy05.....there cannot be to many for fy06 if 05 is full. I was told when I started applying for a pilot slot I had a 98% chance I was not going to get selected. Well, I got a slot. You'll never know unless you try.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
This is crazy stuff! When I was in ROTC way back when (early 80's) if you could raise your right hand and had 20/20 or better you were a shoe in for pilot. Nuc's were the target of all the competition. I am so glad to have gone through when I did. I had like a 2.5 GPA (if that!). A good friend of mine and classmate - who turned out to be a hell of an A-6 driver, had like a 2.0 GPA..

It just seems like it's all stats and numbers now...

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
Oh yeah, and if you're a SNA right now, you have to worry about beating 40% of your class and the classes that come in behind you in API or else you get your walking papers. Nice, huh?

Oh yeah....it's a good time to be a SNFO.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
UInavy said:
No need to get worried about beating 40% of the other SNAs. A 42.5 NSS, or whatever the new cutoff in API is, does not mean you beat 42.5 % of the people. Its much closer to the bottom than that. There are quite a few threads on here about NSS, how it is determined, etc. Quick and dirty: Its a moving bell curve with scores ranging from 30-80 with 50 being the mean. (I know that's not in the middle, but.....) Anyone worried/unfamilar with it can find some great stuff with a quick search on the forums.

Actually, I believe it's 20-80. Saw a Coastie get a 25 NSS out of Primary... and that girl is going to RESCUE someone someday?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
UInavy said:
Wow. That makes the 50 make a bit more sense. I've seen and heard of a lot more near 80 than 20, though. Of course, that's not the end getting cut off, either.

Yeah, seen 80+ too... that's always weird.

Norm

hornetframer said:
1395 is SNA (Student Naval Aviator)--- 1310 is Pilot. You have to be 1395 first. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

So when applying for OCS, use the designators for student 1395 and 1375 or does it matter?

Does anyone know what 130X (Aviation Support) is?

Thanks... Norm

Pags

N/A
pilot
ChuckMK23 said:
This is crazy stuff! When I was in ROTC way back when (early 80's) if you could raise your right hand and had 20/20 or better you were a shoe in for pilot. Nuc's were the target of all the competition. I am so glad to have gone through when I did. I had like a 2.5 GPA (if that!). A good friend of mine and classmate - who turned out to be a hell of an A-6 driver, had like a 2.0 GPA..

It just seems like it's all stats and numbers now...

When I selected about 3yrs ago it was the same way. I think they were giving waivers to people who couldn't raise their hands. And we had a dude with ~2.0GPA who went on to rock flight school and fly the Rhino.

Physicx

Banned
It will change.Every few years they can't get enough pilots and they take everybody untill they realize they have to many.

Jetjock863

No go on flight...JAG???
So what now?

I have one semester of College left. I'm applied for SNA but non-select. Even if I take the test again and get a good score, it seems like there jsut won't be any spots for me right now. So if anyone can answer to this, at what point do you think it will clear back up? Should I fly for another branch or do something else for 2-3 years and apply again? Suggestions??

Zlin50

What's the max age anyone has seen a pilot waiver approved?
Would LOTS of education and LOTS of aviation experience make a big difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.