• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Any Navy Pilot slots available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lattajosh

I have heard that there are very few Navy pilot slots available at this time, I know that the Marines have slots open, but just trying to look at all the options. Can any of you in the application process or already a SNA tell me? THanks.

ander37

K-rock
I applied last Thursday (the 18th) and got rejected on Tuesday, and that was my second application for SNA. I was told that Pilot slots are essentially closed for 1-2 years so that all the "extra" Pilots in the pipeline can funnel through. So now I am looking into the Marines, possible OCC 190 or 191 depending on when they are.

But my stats at application time were:

GPA 3.1 in Computer Science
ASTB: 8,9,8,63
Flight Time: 1.2 hours
A moderate amount of leadership.
I am an All-American athlete, and I play/captain many intramural teams.
I graduate in June.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I heard its all choker whites and dining outs...any truth to that?

airpirate25

Grape Ape...Grape Ape
I'd say ask yourself if you want to be a pilot or an officer...two equally profitable, enjoyable, and rewarding careers. If you want to lead from the front and be an officer, keep trying, but broaden your choices, even looking at other services. If you really want to fly for the love of the open blue, you have far greater odds in corporate, charter or flight instructor careers. Remember, you're talking years of training, and numerous opportunites to find yourself either haze grey and underway at best, or at worst, back on the street. The Navy's downsizing officers, and there is a surplus of new graduates waiting for slots, but just like the airlines, it's cyclical. If you really wanna be a Hornet driver, keep pluggin'

lattajosh

Thanks Ander37, sorry to hear you weren't selected. So....does anyone else actually have any more information pertaining to Navy SNA slots? I heard that were literally only handful for the year...

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I'm in API now and know that there are too many pilots this year (FY 2004). The command told us when we got here (in June) that the Navy designated 150 too many pilots and has to get rid of some. I assume that would affect the selection for this year, but you never know.

hellodollies

just keep trying to get a slot, dont listen to those guys that tell you there are only 57 slots left for the next two fiscal years, chances are they are in the same boat you are in.

Zlin50

I'm looking for some advise/answers. Can a Navy flight surgeon give up that position for a regular line pilot position? I'm aware of the very rare AMDD, but I'm talking about just being a pilot, not a doc?

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
Anyone who meets the physical minumums, etc. can request to redesignate from any Navy officer program to flight. I was a Medical Service Corps officer (not a doc, but related to the field) who successfully made the transistion to the flight program. Only problem is they've only been taking about 4 per year to redesignate to flight. This includes officers in any specialty Navy wide who want to redesignate. It's tough, but a few years of Naval Officer service with a proven track record can make an individual an attractive prospect to a board looking for new pilots. An applicant off the street is a question mark in both the Officer-potential and pilot-ability part. A redesignation applicant has typically proven the Officer part.

Zlin50

Okay, in consideration of that possible redesignation:
Since specifically a 'flight surgeon' would have already gone thru some military flight training at NAS (say at least up thru solo), wouldn't that make it a little more of a reasonable request?
Now also add in the consideration that a flight surgeon had maybe, say 2000 hrs civilian time. With ratings such as... oh I don't know... maybe Commercial-SEL/MEL, instrument, CFI&MEI. And just for kicks say he's a 7 yr veteran airshow pilot.

What do you think his chances would be?

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
First, flight surgeons don't solo. I spoke to two the other day, and I believe they get 4 FAMS, 1 P.A., 1 FORM and maybe a night flight. I doubt it would have much impact on selection. The other things you mentioned, on the other hand, would most definitely have an impact. If this hypothetical person met physical minumums, and the Medical Corps was willing to give him/her up, I would think the package would be extremely competitive. I was selected with a whopping 2.1 hours total flight time. I don't even think I mentioned it on the app. The only other thing to consider is possible previous committment to the Navy. The 3 years active, 5 years reserve would obviously still be met regardless of designator, but some flight surgeons get Navy scholarship support to get through med school. If time was owed for that reason, the MC might not be thrilled with letting the officer transfer.
If you "know" this hypothetical flight surgeon, and you have specific questions, PM me and we can discuss it further.

Penguin

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
This sort of thing comes and goes in cycles. I got in just as the Navy started to close down the flight programs. A good friend of mine missed it and had to go AMO for a couple of years. He never gave up though and continued to apply, finally making it as the Navy opened up the flight program again. He is now an instructor pilot flying EA-6B's at the FRS. If you want something bad enough, never give up the fight. Good luck.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some flight surgeons get real lucky. When I was in Kingsville, there were 2 Flight Surgeons completing the syllabus so they would be dual designated. They were not going to an operational squadron though, they were going to NAMI/NOMI to work on the research side of things. They fly at least the minimum number of hours semi annually though. I'm not sure what type of aircraft they fly in though.

Status
Not open for further replies.