• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Any info about the flight physical in Fl.

TigerGSU

Im just conserned with getting DQ.
Any one rember if, they check or how detailed the exam is?

When I went down to Jax back around September for mine they just looked at them, even though my civvy dentist said that I need to get my wisdom teeth removed. I would think you'd have to have some serious issues to get DQ'd for dental.

Just make sure they get the depth perception test done before having your eyes dialated. :bigeyes2_

Cobra Commander

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville
pilot
That's good advice. I got mine taken out before boot camp with a civilian doc and a general anesthesia. Nothing wrong with navy dentists, but they're only going to give you a local and I'm heard it's a pretty traumatic procedure.

Brett

Yes it is. But my parents saved $250. Cheap @#$%(ers. :icon_rage

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
General was fantastic. Woke up feeling great! Can't say the same when the local anesthesia wore off or when I tried soup and ice cream 6 hours later.:eek: I lost 10 pounds the first week.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
F that noise, I'll take local any day. I hate having my brain impaired from general and feeling groggy for two days.

Raptor2216

I have all of my wisdom teeth and no one bothered to stop me. I did the anual cleaning at the end of TBS along with some fillings...I believe it was my wisdom teeth that needed it. Anyway, they just checked the dental portion off as qualified, or however they mark it. Unless you have some serious issues, I don't think its a big deal at all.

MasterHaynes86

i went in with actively moving wisdom teeth... Don't let it stop you... I actually didn't even notice them unless we were slow for some reason (PLC are never slow... so umm...) I hear OCC are kinda slow now and again since you have 10 weeks to do stuff instead of 6 like me (well, we get 2 shots at it)

dont let a tooth stop you... if it hurts, see a corpseman early ass AM and get some motrin and maybe some to hide in a sock in your wall locker... I'd be more worried about how effin cold it will be and sickness...

borinf2d

T-Bone
That's good advice. I got mine taken out before boot camp with a civilian doc and a general anesthesia. Nothing wrong with navy dentists, but they're only going to give you a local and I'm heard it's a pretty traumatic procedure.

Brett

Does the Navy tend to take the most cost effective way of performing any kind of medical treatment? With little consideration to the patient??

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does the Navy tend to take the most cost effective way of performing any kind of medical treatment? With little consideration to the patient??

I don't think I'd go that far or put it in those terms, but getting a general for oral surgery is definitely a luxury, not to mention the associated risks of a general. I've never had anything more than flight physicals and the occasional flu bug dealt with by Navy docs, so I may not be the best person to evaluate their performance on other things, but I haven't heard any complaints. If you think about it, Navy medicine really doesn't have to worry about the "bottom line" in the same way a civilian hospital does.

Brett

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
i went in with actively moving wisdom teeth... Don't let it stop you... I actually didn't even notice them unless we were slow for some reason (PLC are never slow... so umm...) I hear OCC are kinda slow now and again since you have 10 weeks to do stuff instead of 6 like me (well, we get 2 shots at it)

I did PLC-C (10 wks)...we may have those 4 extra weeks, but we have to do everything, while 6 weekers split some things up between the two and we also don't get a year to heal between trips...#1 reason for drops in my company...injury

Had some dealings with Navy medical more recently and they aren't perfect but they certainly aren't afraid of spending money...I have never run into a problem where they wanted to do one thing due to cost while I wanted to do another...