• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Any info about the flight physical in Fl.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
That's good advice. I got mine taken out before boot camp with a civilian doc and a general anesthesia. Nothing wrong with navy dentists, but they're only going to give you a local and I'm heard it's a pretty traumatic procedure.

I had local done when I was 17...But they made me take some Valium before I came in. It was still a little stressful to see them DRILL into my GUMS, BREAK up my wisdom teeth, and then SUCK out the pieces...but I was back to myself the next day and could even eat stuff. All in all it was pretty painless.

boobcheese

When I had to have my wisdom teeth out I told the doc that I was very apprehensive about the procedure and he prescribed me a sedative (Restoril) which I took about a half hour before hand. It didn't put me under but after it kicked in he could have given me a lobotomy and I don't think it would have phased me much.:knockout_

Stubby

Ask the Chief
Does the Navy tend to take the most cost effective way of performing any kind of medical treatment? With little consideration to the patient??
This hasn't been my experience. In fact, it seems to me that the Navy is more likely to encourage you to have a procedure that may not be entirely necessary than to discourage it or cut corners.... I think it is because they need the practice. I had a root canal in boot camp and I've had a wisdom tooth pulled several years ago. No problems either time. Every year at my flight physical they try to get me to let them pull this old "baby" tooth that never fell out. They always get upset when I tell them "No.".

rrnavy

I am just concerned with getting dropped and loosing my commission due to a tooth. I am not concerned with the procedure. I have a flight physical in Pensacola the 10th-13th of this month, and I am supposed to go to OCC Jan 21st. Ample time to get it done. Just wondering if I need to be concerned about getting dropped over this.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I really doubt that you'll get dropped for a tooth. Unless you have huge holes in your head or need something like a jaw replacement.....you should be good to go.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And more on the flight physical, what exactly do they do to you/have you do? I'm an NROTC midshipman and I'm getting mine done next month. Also, I know with DODMERB I wasn't allowed to wear my contacts for a couple days before hand, is it the same with this?

S3b_viking

All I have to say is if you're gonna get a wisdom tooth pulled do it in the civilian world because the military dentist screwed up my surgery big time. First he was supposed to knock me out and that didn't happen (All 4 of my wisdom teeth were under my rear molars), I started feeling things halfway through the surgery and they wouldn't give me anything to numb it up, they broke away part of my jaw bone and had to have another surgery to fix that (found out a year later), they didn't stitch me up right (yet another surgery required to fix that), and the list goes on and on from just a single dental surgery. I will give them the fact that it was a hard surgery, but not that hard.

Just my .02, go to a civilian doctor if you can and get them removed this way you don't have to worry about some military dentist doing it.

phrogpilot73

That's good advice. I got mine taken out before boot camp with a civilian doc and a general anesthesia. Nothing wrong with navy dentists, but they're only going to give you a local and I'm heard it's a pretty traumatic procedure.

Brett

Got mine taken out by a Navy dentist two years ago... I asked him to use general anesthesia, because I'm a pansie (my words). His reply "I can't, but I'll give you a buttload of Novicane." Couldn't feel my lips until I went to bed 11 hours later... He was a good dentist...