• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Any chance?

HarveyBirdman

Okay, So whats the Speed of Dark?
Reserves?

Moneys tight, and things have been cutting a little too close for comfort. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with enlisting in the Navy Reserve while pursuing a commission?

I’m currently at a community school and was planning on transferring to any university with an Nrotc unit. Would joining the reserves help me with my chances of picking up a two-year scholarship? Or a BDCP package?

-HB

HarveyBirdman

Okay, So whats the Speed of Dark?
It's more then money. Was just wondering if it would give me an advantage for a commission.

I have been seriously considering enlisting for awhile now, and I am not sure if that is all I can do. I think I need to be honest with myself, and stop dreaming. So, what would you guys do? I respect all of you, and I need direction.

I know my stats are horrible, but I can’t change that now.

-High School truant, with a gpa of 0.68ish, I graduated at the bottom.
-No standardized tests scores like Act/Sat.
-Six college credits to my name.
-I’m slim but not in peak shape.

I come from a family of sailors and all I ever wanted was to become an officer. I have high morals and big dreams.

So now what?

BullGator

HarveyBirdman said:
I have been seriously considering enlisting for awhile now, and I am not sure if that is all I can do. I think I need to be honest with myself, and stop dreaming. So, what would you guys do? I respect all of you, and I need direction.

I know my stats are horrible, but I can’t change that now.

-High School truant, with a gpa of 0.68ish, I graduated at the bottom.
-No standardized tests scores like Act/Sat.
-Six college credits to my name.
-I’m slim but not in peak shape.

I come from a family of sailors and all I ever wanted was to become an officer. I have high morals and big dreams.

So now what?
If you want to enlist, I'm sure that is not a problem; I heard the Navy was in need of many good Sailors.

If you want to be an officer, (brutally honest) - you need serious work and a very determined drive. For starters, you will need a 4-year college degree (bachelors), which means in all likelihood you will need to take the SAT/ACT for acceptance there; there is test prep for that if you have the money for it. You will also need to talk with an OR (officer recruiter) to see how you can improve and have a better chance of getting considered and accepted/selected as an Naval or Marine Officer. How old are you now?

BullGator

I'm 19, Thank you for the advice. It really does help.
No problem man. If you want in right away, I would talk to an enlisted recruiter about your options. If you want to become an Officer, you are definitely young enough to change course and make that happen too (talk to an OR in that case). It is all about your determination and immediate needs/goals.

Good luck man

P.S. The PBS series called Carrier has some insight on the different enlisted opportunities and what the jobs entail. I like it a lot. It is very long though, and if you missed it on tv, it is also available for purchase (amazon, ect). Of course there are many jobs besides being on a carrier, just thought I'd throw it out there as an option.

flysupertomcat

Jim told me I can buy Gaydar online
Dude, if being an officer is what you truly want, then get your butt in gear and make it happen! Ok, so you suck at life at the moment, doesn't mean you have to suck for the rest of your life. As was mentioned, you'll need a degree from a four year institution. With your grades, getting into a University more than likely isn't going to happen right now, but most community colleges (at least the ones I've dealt with) don't even require you to be a HS graduate to enroll. Do 2 years at comm. college, get the best grades you possibly can (which will have to be very good to compensate for your HS record), and transfer to a four year school (where you will only have to do 2 more years). Life is far from over for you, what you need to show now is the ability to completely turn things around. You still have all of college to do that, and that's really where it counts the most. The most important thing is to get off your butt and start making stuff happen!

there's nothing wrong with enlisting, but many advise you not to do that if your intent is on becoming an officer. Getting your degree is the big key in all of this, so focus on that first. If college doesn't workout, then being an officer isn't going to work out, and that should sort of give you the "blessing" that you should enslist. (if that's what you still want to do)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You got yourself into Community College so that's a step in right direction. How are those grades?? Perhaps enlisting in reserves or active duty is what you need to get past your self-described truant phase. You're young enough to get your life on track, but like you say yourself, time to be honest about your prospects and do something to improve them. The act of enlisting in and of itself doesn't improve your chances. It will get you an income and present the opportunity to prove yourself. If you are up to that challenge and receive high marks, then you have additional paths to a commission.

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
Coming out of high school in the 70's was the same for me. Sex, Drugs and Rock & Roll were more important that getting on with life. So I had a choice, continue down that path or get off my ass and change it. I was fortunate to have someone point me in the right direction and I enlisted in the Navy Reserves, then made it to NAPS then to Boat School.

My point is "get on it"! The fact that you're asking questions and taking college courses is a great start. You sound as if you're determined to move beyond your past. Joining the military can add some structure and help focus you to do bigger and better things.

Good Luck :)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Coming out of high school in the 70's was the same for me. Sex, Drugs and Rock & Roll were more important that getting on with life. So I had a choice, continue down that path or get off my ass and change it. I was fortunate to have someone point me in the right direction and I enlisted in the Navy Reserves, then made it to NAPS then to Boat School.

My point is "get on it"! The fact that you're asking questions and taking college courses is a great start. You sound as if you're determined to move beyond your past. Joining the military can add some structure and help focus you to do bigger and better things.

Good Luck :)

And "Stalk" is leaving out the part where he commanded a Hornet squadron in combat so there is a door you can chose to open, but you have to turn your dreams into reality by your own performance.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's been a while since your OP.

Which begs the question if you really want it bad, what have you done to better yourself since your post on 6-9-07?

I'm being serious...any improvements?

ASHWND

(BDCP) Supply Corps OC
What are you planning on majoring in? I am not sure how well you like math and engineering, however, if you find this path interesting, I suggest that you go this route. The Navy is always looking to get people to go Nuke, and you will be eligible for the Nuke College program and BDCP starting your Sophomore year of college (because it is a technical degree). You really need to make sure that your GPA is above 3.0 in college... high school doesn't matter, the only thing that mattered about high school is that your graduated... with a diploma right?

Talk to an OR and get a plan going, you are just starting off your path and really need some direction, and an OR will do that for you, though his/her direction will be the direction the Navy needs you to go, but that is life and you wil be an officer, so be happy.

The Carrier DVD series is te best damn documentary I have ever seen, though it could have been much longer and focused on Officers in other areas than Aviation and Surface Warfare... would have been nice to see medical, supply, etc. but it is still probably my favorite DVD. I watch it pretty much non-stop....

Lobster

And "Stalk" is leaving out the part where he commanded a Hornet squadron in combat

and kept two punk kids in line while driving them around to hockey...:D

Harv, bottom line is anything is possible and if you want it bad enough you can get it, clearly its not going to be easy but it will be worth it and you'll be a better man for it (yes folks it was unbelievably corny i know...)

Good Luck!!