• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Another "praise the Raptor" article

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
Isn't the bigger problem here that they were 100% reliant on GPS to navigate, or is that normal?

Goes back to the way the Air Force does business. Letter of the law; no deviation. We transpac'ed twice in VA-115 (Japan-Guam-hawaii-Whidbey and back) twice in a two year period (1980 and 1982) and all 12 jets made it all four legs. Sure, we had some issues, including single generator, INS's that dumped and wouldn't realign in flight. single radio, etc., but to Flash's point, the tankers dragging us across had plenty of navaids and we had hand signals if all else failed.

The only hiccup we had was a two day delay in Hawaii ( :icon_smil ) because forecast winds had the tanker crews exceeding their twelve hour day by less than 15 minutes. It was the one time we praised Air Force lunacy.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
yes, and I've heard of the whiskey compass too, but it sounds like the software problem would be the ins.

GPS and INS can be completely independent, or they can feed a computer nav system in tandem, so I'm not sure what your question is. Your initial response was one like "Duh, what else is there besides GPS, tacans and vors?" There are many options besides GPS.

MasterBates

Don't forget the always fun Doppler Nav..

Still a lot of USN helos running around blue water (and out of TACAN range often) with just that.

hscs

pilot
except all of the new helos (R/S) are going to the EGIs, like the rest of the world.

airwinger

pilot
RADML Paul Gilcrist's Feet Wet has the story. He was apparently lead for this guy and they were really fast when he flamed. Leading him down on the section approach, saw him High and very fast at the start when he(gilcrist) waved off which was supposedly unfixable, he looked back on to see him trapped.

Great book. Made me wish I was born so much earlier. Advanced flight school was all solo in F6F Hellcats. ALL of it from form, guns, weps, ACM, cq

Sounds like some typical F-8 story . . . but dubitable as usual.

Even with sunny skies and smooth seas, the F-8 had a most difficult time avoiding the ramp with its J-57 running perfectlly.
But with an engine failure, even in close, it would be lucky to make the spud locker. :eek:

flysupertomcat

Jim told me I can buy Gaydar online
I believe this is a repost. I was there at Langley in 2006 and also this year to see the only F-22 demos so far. The vectored thrust is pretty impressive.

Bene

Wow..I just watched the Demo and that was pretty crazy. Is the F-22 a Navy plane? Are there plans to make it carrier capable?

MettGT

pilot
Wow..I just watched the Demo and that was pretty crazy. Is the F-22 a Navy plane? Are there plans to make it carrier capable?

F-22 is an Air Force jet, so definitely no plans to make it carrier capable...