• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Another nugget for flight sim geeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

handjive

Blue speedo... check!
pilot
Since the microsim is off limits until the Navy's tests are complete, here's another option for SNAs:

The flight sim is caled x-plane (LINK).

Over the past several months, I've slowly tweaked an existing T-34C into a pretty good replica of what we fly here at primary. You can check it out HERE. Enjoy!

FYI: This sim works on Mac and Windows.

* My take on flight sims: They are no substitute for the real thing, but it will make your chair flying a little more realistic, and with an accurate instument panel, it will improve your scan a good bit. It certainly helped me! (just solo-ed this past week).

t34C.jpg

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
X-Plane looks pretty neat, but it can't compare graphically to MS Flight Simulator 2004. They aren't even in the same ballpark. How's the flight dynamics?

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
UGH x-plane. Was orignally designed for design and computer testing or air models. <AHHHH horrible flash backs to college>

MHO the riot trainer was a LOT BETTER for chair flying. (RI speaking) the Microsim was just an excersise in frustration.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, RIOT is pretty good for learning the procedure. Using a flight simulator will help with doing OTHER stuff while doing the procedure though. Of course... you can just use the actual sims we have lol.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
the microsims are off limits? what happened, did one of you guys spill a Slurpee on the consoles?

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
I have MicroSim 2_0 and something else called Alphasim. The Microsim I got from Squeeze and will share it with who ever wants it as well as the Alphasim. The Alpha sim is just the T-34 itself, but looks AWESOME. Only problem is that that one is still in beta and some of the engine guages are screwy. No prob for just flying around or whatever. The Microsim has a great IFR full screen panel. Anyway, if you want it, let me know and I will send you a link to my FTP server. I would just post it, but I would kind of like to control access to it.
BTW-its ~700MB so be prepared to spend the night d/l ing it.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
They are using hte Microsims for a "study". You have to be in the "study" to use them.

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
Seems like most PC sims are good for helping improve SA with the instruments, but I've never found them useful for improving stick monkey skills.

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
Speaking of...

I don't know if you SNA types practice instruments on the 2B47 or not...but SNFO's do and it's a pain in the butt...

Somthing I did that really helped:

I used the Learjet on Microsoft's Flight Simulator, turned on the autopilot and set my airspeed and altitude (you can still use the OAT and your whiz wheel to set an IAS for a TAS). Then I'd use the heading bug to turn the thing, and fly my routes that way. IT works fine at 210, 240, and 270 knots. All of the NAVAIDs work as advertised and you can even sort of simulate radio traffic. The radio menus are pretty simple to use...

jg5343

pilot
gnorman911 said:
OK, sorry, dumb question here. What program do I need to run this file?

Microsoft Flight sim 2002, not sure if it will work on 2004, but I assume it would.

jg5343

pilot
Handjive:
Will this plane work on 2002? The folder contents are way different than what I am used to seeing and I am having trouble gettting it to work. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.