• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Another nail in the coffin of Old-School Naval Avaition..

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They are probably headed out for deployment, we got them before we left. It's super smart - helps us blend in with all the trees and bushes out here in the desert. there was some rationale for why they didn't give us the desert pattern but i don't recall what it was.

Because there are 'special' things that it has that only 'special' folks get to use, that is straight from the old CNO. Why thy can't make a 'non-special' version for us regular folk I have no idea but I guess then 'special' folks wouldn't feel so special. The ironic part is that the no-shit special folks wear whatever they need to, screw the uniform board.

I second Phrogloop, this is a big win taking care of something that has been an issue long before I starting wearing bags. I wonder if this means folks can wear flight suits in DC with all the folks who wear NWUs.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Nothing has changed for me. Still can't wear my ballcap outside the gate - which in reality is a non-issue.

What I'd really like to see is for some of the CMCs who are self-appointed flight-suit police to actually cover down on some of their Sailors who sport some of the sloppiest assemblages of aqua-flauge ever seen. Spend 15 minutes at the NUW NEX and you'll see how a generation of young and overweight individuals are using the NWU design to "hide".

Pags

N/A
pilot
Am I the only one who thinks this NAVADMIN is a huge win that has been far too long in coming? My previous skipper passed along what he heard at the CNAF Commander's Conference: previous Airboss went to previous CNO socializing his plan to allow flightsuits at Chipotle. CNO directed Airboss to further socialize it with his cohorts at SURFOR/SUBFOR/NECC. Since NWU wear rules were coming out allowing a working uniform out in town, the aviation contingent needed to demonstrate an effort to "standardize" our working uniform so that rank was obvious and we all looked like members of the same organization. Only way to do the latter without standardizing the rest of the patches is the Ensign/tshirts. We lost ballcaps out in town because the rest of the navy lost ballcaps as well. Bottom line, this shit took a lot of effort by 2 Airbosses and their people and I appreciate the hell out of it. I'm celebrating at Chipotle. Daily.
Concur. I could give a shit less about some of the minutia re: flags, wti patches, covers, and black/blue tshirts. THE MAN FINALLY DECIDED TO LET US WEAR THE BAGS IN TOWN. After 10yrs of skirting the rules and getting the stank eye from SWOs in wash khakis at wawa we can finally go out to get lunch and not risk an ass chewing. In my opinion, THIS IS A HUGE WIN. Kudos to the past air bosses and their staffs for pushing this and to the CNO for having the stones to stand up to nay Sayers and actually allowing working uniforms out in town. This is a huge win for common sense.

Also, I like that they allowed blue shirts too. That's good for the sailors; now they only need one set of tshirts, which equals more money in the bank.

No nomex jackets off base? Sweet, then I can still patch em up. Plus, I can wear the leather out in town, which is a better looking coat anyways.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
While I'm happy with the bottom line here, I just wish the people in charge of writing the uniform policies would get all their ducks in a row BEFORE releasing a series of confusing NAVADMINs which require multiple updates and an army of sea lawyers to interpret. It clear to me that nobody on the uniform board had anyone from the fleet "sanity check" any of the flight suit regs they were putting out. They should all be ashamed of themselves.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
I really care less about the small BS. As mentioned already, I can go out in town in a bag. Am I going to wear the standard American Flag? Maybe. Maybe I will wear an oval patched Merican flag behind a Rhino. There are soooo many things we can do now. Being pissed about the small stuff, really? When has the JOPA ever caved completely to any reg? Wearing bags out in town is a Huge win for us all. Let the games begin.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Agreed. Didn't mean to derail the discussion into patches and details, this is going to be awesome regardless.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
But alas, the yut yuts will still have to eat Subway and the bowling alley for lunch...

And hot weather desert flight suits is a win for the guys in Kingsville.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I really care less about the small BS. As mentioned already, I can go out in town in a bag. Am I going to wear the standard American Flag? Maybe. Maybe I will wear an oval patched Merican flag behind a Rhino. There are soooo many things we can do now. Being pissed about the small stuff, really? When has the JOPA ever caved completely to any reg? Wearing bags out in town is a Huge win for us all. Let the games begin.
And it will be interesting to watch the first wave of flightsuit-clad aviators descend upon the public in places like Norfolk where legions of rabid retired CPOs will be met with a hearty and well deserved "fuck you." :D

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
There was a NAVADMIN back in the late 90's that discussed the standardization of patches. The Navy went into great detail about what patches were authorized on your right shoulder. It went into the myriad of T/M/S patches, 1000 hour, CAG or Type Wing patches, etc.
The Navy had to release an update two days later stating that the AMERICAN FLAG was authorized on the left shoulder.

This NAVADMIN allowed short duration shops in flight suits and since we were at NASNI our Skipper asked us (and he was clear this was a request, not an order) to carry a copy of the NAVADMIN in our pocket for the first month or so because we would get stopped by (even worse than the holier-than-thou CPOs) retired Admirals who would actually ask for your name so they could report you.

When it happend to me, I had to remind the Admiral that lots of things have changed since he left the Navy. I caught myself before I said, "we don't use sails anymore".