• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Anger seethes over Quran allegation

Status
Not open for further replies.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
For each person who died from that article the top on down should be fired, retirement packages lost and given as restitution to the victims of the families....seems like a fair trade to me.

Of course, this would NEVER happen as they would first have to take responsibilty beyone a simple apology.

Kolja

Git-r-done
Wonder if Dan Rather wrote the article.

It's hard enough out there on the pointy end without douchebags back here going out of their way to make it even harder.

Cate

Pretty much invincible
Don't think that this is the end of it. The apology is the easiest step to take, which is why it's usually the first. Single-source reporting is a grievous sin anyway, and in this case people died because of it, so we can be pretty sure that lots of heads will roll. Believe it or not, the news media are beginning to understand how many people disrust them and how closely they're being watched, so they're beginning to police themselves. Not enough, obviously, but more than before.

HOORAH

Uncle Sam's Misguided Children
Chris Hill said:

Yeah they are now retracting what they said by stating that they apologize for any information that may have been incorrect in the story! Too bad the WHOLE story was fabricated. Notice they aren't apoligizing for not checking out the ONE source they used to get the story or for putting our military members in danger for bringing the story to the public. And really this is the only thing they had to put as a top story? Is the Liberal media stretching for news now or what? it doesn't matter if it IS true just as long as they want it to be true. (of course we can thank Clinton for this question, can you define the word IS please?)

KBayDog

Cate said:
Believe it or not, the news media are beginning to understand how many people disrust them and how closely they're being watched, so they're beginning to police themselves. Not enough, obviously, but more than before.

Let's help the cause by not buying Newsweek.

HOORAH

Uncle Sam's Misguided Children
Schnuggapup said:
At least 15 people were killed and dozens injured last week when thousands of demonstrators marched in Afghanistan and other parts of the Muslim world, officials and eyewitnesses said.

I heard it was actually atleast 20 people killed and at least 60 to 100 injured.

Cate

Pretty much invincible
KBayDog said:
Well, sure, that's a good start. An even better start is to write a letter to the editor - which they actually do read, btw - stating exactly what upset you and why you're not going to be buying Newsweek anymore.

Here's the secret to those letters, though - as angry as I know we all are about this, try not to sound like a lunatic. Avoid hyperbole, threats of physical violence, etc. Tell them that their reporting was irresponsible, that it got people killed, that this sort of journalism is the reason that people no longer trust the Fourth Estate, that you'll no longer be buying their publication (or watching their broadcast). DON'T say that they're all a bunch of America-hating liberal scum and that you'd like to cut their heads off with a scimitar and defecate down their necks and then blow up their bodies, don't say that no one in the entire country will ever read their paper, ever ever ever, and don't wish any hardship on their families. The first letter will actually get read and probably published; the second letter will get posted on somebody's bulletin board as an example of how crazy these wingnuts are, and that's why this country is falling apart, yadda yadda yadda.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cate said:
Believe it or not, the news media are beginning to understand how many people disrust them and how closely they're being watched, so they're beginning to police themselves. Not enough, obviously, but more than before.

Begining to understand how much people distrust them??!!!
Beginning to police themsleves???!!!

For God's sake, is that arrogance or what? Only now they are getting the hint? It can only be because they have been convinced for so long their sh!t doesn't smell. They have required a standard of professionalism, honesty, and transparency in government for years, that they have not required of themselves. They are a scurilous bunch!

And for the record, I don't believe it. They will put up window dressing because they think it will be good for business. But as soon as they see political hay to be reaped, they will put it aside, knowingly or not.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is waht happens when the default editorial position is that America is intrinsically wrong. I can toelrate a bias leaning in one diretion or another as long as the stories are true and substantiated. The bottom line is they have casued the death of people already and ensured a new Al Queda calss of recruits will be joining soon. They are out of control.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
KBayDog said:

Way ahead of you, K-Bay. In 1980 Newsweek ran their disgusting cover with a photo of a dead American helo crewman (badly burned body still in helmet and flight suit) at Desert One in the Iranian desert --- the abortive attempt to rescue the American embassy hostages in Tehran. It was bad --- very gruesome. Besmirching the U.S. military is nothing new to these "journalists" .....

I sent the editor a letter asking for some kind of appology and got back a "stuff it" type of response. The only thing they understand is money. I have not purchased nor read Newsweek since ..... thankfully, there are better options out there ---

This current story?? Newsweek has been caught in a "lie" and has still not come clean. "Single source" reporting? That's basic in journalism-- you don't base a story on it.

One of the "investigative" reporters/writers of this piece is Michael Isakoff (long journalism career) who should have known better. He is a frequent lib-leaning talking head on weekend news shows (any longer?) and was one of the foremost "reporters" investigating Abu-Ghraib and its fallout. They have caused immense damage here --- much more than the Abu-Ghraib non-story. Just at a time when we are making progress in the war against Islamic fascism, Newsweek puts up an unverified article that will cost American lives and provide the enemy with a recruiting boon.

Newsweek is owned by the Washington Post company --- I suggest you cancel your Newsweek and WaPost subscriptions and tell them in a letter why you are doing it....... The media is out of control.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Did the guy who 'broke' the story also inform the public about the Clinton-Lewinsky issue?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
KBayDog said:

Way ahead of you. Newsweek was forced down my throat in High School. When I woke up and realized how left-leaning and disgustingly out of touch that magazine (tabloid?) is, I stopped reading it. I pick it up every now and then to see if anything has changed. Nope. Still a rag I wouldn't even wipe my arse with.

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
I couldn’t agree w/ A4's more. It is ridiculous that that someone can get away with something like this. This is the classic example of not looking before you leap. These people assumed that what they heard was true and simply ran with it, not caring at all weather it was true or not, or the repercussions it might have. These "reporters" should be fired for the mistakes that they have made. It is a reporter’s job to make sure that the facts in his or her story, and in this case people died! If this is not cause for someone's termination I don’t know what is. Frankly sorry just doesn't cut it.

Rg9

pilot
Anyone see any major news print media condemn Newsweek? Neither did I. Despicable. If the media were trully pro-American, or even simply just intellectually honest, they would have called for some firings. If this story had been true, every news outlet would have called for everyone in the chain of command to be fired. But since it was NEWSWEEK who screwed up, no condemnation.

Status
Not open for further replies.