• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

And the PRT changes yet again

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
But that's not what we're talking about. You said something like "doing extended planks isn't a good workout or something often seen in workout programs." My point is that extended planking is something you can do and would lead to better plank performance.
Yeah you just quoted me out of context and changed some key details. I never said that planks don't belong in a workout routine, nor did I say that I never see people do them. I said that I don't see people doing sets of 3-4 minutes, which would amount to 10-15 minutes of just a plank workout. Instead what I typically see is people do 1-2 sets of about 2-3 minutes and then proceed to do other ab work, typically with a medicine ball because increasing resistance builds strength far quicker and more efficiently than just doing planks forever.

And again this was mostly a jab at the bro science in the implementation message. The sailor worried about throwing his back out doing 46 situps because he's too weak to keep his back straight through the entire range of motion is a guy who's going to have a really hard time holding a plank for 1:10.

Last edited:

Pags

N/A
pilot
And again this was mostly a jab at the bro science in the implementation message. The sailor worried about throwing his back out doing 46 situps because he's too weak to keep his back straight through the entire range of motion is a guy who's going to have a really hard time holding a plank for 1:10.
True, but now with the plank Mr. Squishymiddle won't throw out his back trying to brute force his way into passing. If you can't do a plank I imagine your hips will just flop to the deck.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
True, but now with the plank Mr. Squishymiddle won't throw out his back trying to brute force his way into passing. If you can't do a plank I imagine your hips will just flop to the deck.
Coming to the PRT in 2022: an alternate core strength test, for those who aren't anatomically inclined plankers: "thicc twerking"

(to think that "hello dollys" were a "nobody wants to see that" exercise)

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Coming to the PRT in 2022: an alternate core strength test, for those who aren't anatomically inclined plankers: "thicc twerking"

(to think that "hello dollys" were a "nobody wants to see that" exercise)

orrr, and hear me out here...squishymiddle goes for broke a la the extra fatty chief move. Eat your way through to the other side. Whereas before, if one could make their neck fat enough, they always passed the rope and choke, now one has to also have a large enough gut to rest on while still in an elbow plank position.

It's a fine line to walk, but it's got a lot of upside.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
orrr, and hear me out here...squishymiddle goes for broke a la the extra fatty chief move. Eat your way through to the other side. Whereas before, if one could make their neck fat enough, they always passed the rope and choke, now one has to also have a large enough gut to rest on while still in an elbow plank position.

It's a fine line to walk, but it's got a lot of upside.
Hold my Oreos...and candy bar...and milk shake...and donut...and....

BarryD

Contributor
Okay, maybe I'm just dumb, but you can still choose to do the run over the rowing right?
Yes you can still do the run.

In most officer training programs you probably won't have the choice (ROTC, USNA, OCS).

Last edited:

jointhelocalizer

pilot
It is for the NARPs. I did know one girl who swam the PRT at school (medical) and plenty of people who biked it (athletes). Long story short, unless you have a reason, you have to run. Another fun fact: to graduate USNA, at least one of your PRTs (usually the last one) has to be ran. It’s always impressive to see the work some of the football players, track throwers, etc. put in to shed weight and get good run times.

Pags

N/A
pilot
It is for the NARPs. I did know one girl who swam the PRT at school (medical) and plenty of people who biked it (athletes). Long story short, unless you have a reason, you have to run. Another fun fact: to graduate USNA, at least one of your PRTs (usually the last one) has to be ran. It’s always impressive to see the work some of the football players, track throwers, etc. put in to shed weight and get good run times.
I always find the notion of athletes struggling to pass the PFA amusing. Seems contradictory to the term athlete but I get that they've tuned their bodies to very specific requirements of their sport.