• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ammunition Accountability

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I guess I'll just have to stock up on uncoded baseball bats for all my upcoming criminal activity.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I guess they will catch a larger number of dumb criminals.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I guess I'll just have to stock up on uncoded baseball bats for all my upcoming criminal activity.

Yup just be damn sure they are Pre-Ban baseball bats.

In addition to a lot of other interesting things, the proposed SC law says:

"No later than January 1, 2012, all noncoded ammunition owned by private citizens and retail outlets must be disposed."

I wonder if .223 is assault rifle ammo? Maybe if you shoot it in a bolt gun it isn't? Oh never mind, it's damn sure pistol ammo anyway.

Boil frog boil.......

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
This legislation died in committee this past session in the Washington State legislature. Rest assured it will be back ...

This is one of the "newer, more progressive" techniques that gun-banners are using/plan to use to defacto "ban" guns ... all the while maintaining the facade that they aren't "banning guns". :)

Make the ammo too expensive via unsound "coded ammunition" technology and/or impose huge taxes on it and/or require you to dispose of all prior "unacceptable" ammo. I'm certain the criminal element in society will abide by that ... but how about the rest of you law-abiding citizens ??? H
ow will they ever check up on you for THAT "violation"?? A range check of your brass?? A door-to-door search??

The net result of no ammo??

Presto: you have a defacto gun ban w/out all the political downside of repeating the misbegotten Clinton/Biden Assault Weapons Ban of 1994.

BUT: You can still hang 'em -- your non-banned, ammo-less guns -- over the fireplace mantle. :sleep_125

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Make the ammo too expensive via unsound "coded ammunition" technology and/or impose huge taxes on it and/or require you to dispose of all prior "unacceptable" ammo. I'm certain the criminal element in society will abide by that ... but how about the rest of you law-abiding citizens ???

The net result of no ammo??

Presto: you have a defacto gun ban w/out all the political downside of repeating the misbegotten Clinton/Biden Assault Weapons Ban of 1994.

Plus:

At $10.00 a round the bad guys may learn to shoot.

Random Task

pilot
So was reading through some of the bills. Correct me if I'm wrong, Mostly this is for handguns and NFA weapons' ammo? Also does that make reloading illegal then?

UMichfly

pilot
None
I personally like the idea with two exceptions: The previously mentioned steep cost increase, if it really occurs, and the requirement for untagged ammunition to be destroyed by a fixed date. Like ea6bflyer said, they'll catch a lot of dumb criminals, which in my experience is >75% of criminals in gun crimes. Sure, the really determined assholes out there will take it upon themselves to learn to reload rounds, but Jimmy the Crackhead in Detroit isn't going to waste his time with that IMHO. The increased cost and required destruction of rounds only hurts legitimate users though. The people who have large stocks of ammunition in their basement that would have to be destroyed aren't usually the type to go spraying and praying in Toys R' Us. They're usually cheap bastards such as myself who prefer to buy ammo by the case lot rather than be nickel and dimed on every individual box.

All that being said, I think that no matter what happens, the two retardedly polarized sides in the gun debate will make this into enough of an issue that it'll aggravate all of us who legitimately shoot.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
So was reading through some of the bills. Correct me if I'm wrong, Mostly this is for handguns and NFA weapons' ammo? Also does that make reloading illegal then?

I haven't read any of the proposed bills other than the one from SC.

In general it wouldn't have to be a NFA weapon for Chucky and the boys to consider it an assault weapon.

During the "assault weapon ban" a weapon was considered an assault rifle if it had more than X number of evil features. Some of the evil features were; flash suppressor, bayonet lug, pistol grip, removable magazine and collapsible stock. The ability to fire more than one round per pull of the trigger wasn't considered.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
the really determined assholes out there will take it upon themselves to learn to reload rounds, but Jimmy the Crackhead in Detroit isn't going to waste his time with that IMHO.

You are correct. Why would a crackhead or any other criminal learn to reload or pay super high prices when they can steal your ammo to break the law with. :icon_wink

UMichfly

pilot
None
You are correct. Why would a crackhead or any other criminal learn to reload or pay super high prices when they can steal your ammo to break the law with. :icon_wink

They're welcome to try...the tagged ammo would make it very easy for the cops to verify that it was in fact me who poked several 7.62 mm holes in Jimmy's chest. :D