• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ammunition Accountability

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
You are correct. Why would a crackhead or any other criminal learn to reload or pay super high prices when they can steal your ammo to break the law with. :icon_wink

This brings up an interesting point for me. Does this mean loading your own rounds will now be either illegal, or exponentially more costly? Or does this wunderbill account for the fact that some people like to load their own ammo?

Flying Toaster

None
"Ammunition Accountability"

Such a responsible sounding name for ammo registration..... You can tell motives by how misleading the name of a certain movement is.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
So if I can comprehend written word at all... this bill is assuming you can recover the spent round? That right there is ridiculous. A .223 bullet is just as likely to fragment itself to death as it is to end up like CE399.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
This brings up an interesting point ...

A bill has been in the Maryland legislature for some time, requiring ammo microstamping. Many moons ago I trudged over to my state senator to talk about some of the issues that I had with the bill. Full disclosure - he supports the bill - I do not.

1. I asked why this bill when the law on the books in Maryland for 5 years/more or less, requires all gun purchases to have two spent shell casings from the weapon be sent to the Maryland State Police. Maryland's finest somehow created a database somewhat akin to a fingerprint information base about all sold weapons and their case marking. During this entire time that the law has been in force, the police have never even found one match from a crime scene. Nada. His reply was, along the lines of "well maybe this bill will improve that situation".

2. At the time, the tax was to be 50 cents for each cartridge sold, be it .22 or .50 cal, since then the bill has been reduced to 5 cents per cartridge. Did I do some good in complaining? :eek::eek:

3. Reloading. Well, my friend, Democratic Republic of Maryland will treat you as a manufacturer. Get your microstamps on the casing as well as on the bullet. It would indeed be illegal in Maryland to reload a shell casing that had a microstamp.:eek: I tried to argue but his comments we somewhat on the lines of "...some broken eggs to make an omlett".

3. What are about the tens of thousand rounds of ammo I now have? Reply was "the law will give you one year to use any ammo you have "stockpiled" and after that one year it will be illegal to own and you must properly dispose of it. He chided me for having such a large amount of ammo in my possession, albeit it was not against any law or regulation to own that amount.

4. The current bill requires that all handgun ammo be microstamped. Would that include .22 short, asked I? Emphatic yes. Resounding yes.:eek::eek:

5. The current draft bill specificially excludes ammo for the M1 Garand. Does that really mean all 30.06 is excluded from microstamping or just those rounds you shoot from a Garand. How about some of the .308 Garands that have been manufactured/sold by CMP? The meeting ended at about that point.:eek:

I came away with the thoughts that they are after my guns. They want to take them away, all of them, and "they" will do just about anything to take them away or at a minimum make them unusable.

Bevo16

pilot
I just stopped into a local gun shop (mostly handgun sales) on my lunch break. They had a sign that says "we have ammo" behind the register, so I ask what they have in .308. Their stock had been behind the desk for a while and their prices were not adjusted yet. I ended up buying everything they had in 180gr .308 for about 40% less than what I saw yesterday at Bass Pro.

As I was leaving, I hear the manager say "we gotta change all of those prices right now".

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Master Chief, I got a spare cabin you can bunk in. Might be time to move.

Kind offer much appreciated, however must decline at this point. I am tethered to DC area by wifemates job at VOA, must wait few more years until she retires. Could not leave her here while I go off to .. .... .... ughhhh ..... momento por favor........ nah better not, just a passing thought, never work, could not get away with it. :eek::eek:

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
They're welcome to try...the tagged ammo would make it very easy for the cops to verify that it was in fact me who poked several 7.62 mm holes in Jimmy's chest. :D

That may or may not be a good thing depending on where you live.....In some states there is almost no such thing as a "good" shoot unless you wear a badge.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
A bill has been in the Maryland legislature ... then follows a review of bureaucratic double-talk of the first magnitude ...
We need to all get together (w/ the obvious and necessary exception of the few lib's/lefties/"progressives" on this website)

... pool our resources

... buy our own island. :D

Preferably where the sun shines most days, the sand is white, and the sky is blue ... and the sunsets are legend. :)

photo by A4sForever

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
.....Preferably where the sun shines most days, the sand is white, and the sky is blue ... and the sunsets are legend. :)

Will buy that idea.

Well I just returned from a two week trip to an Oasis in the West; Lemoore, Kalifornia. Found a huge lime tree and schlepped a bunch of fresh limes back with me for some serious experimentation.:eek:. Having said that and the point being - It sure ain't gonna be anywhere near Kalifornia.