• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AMEX Platinum

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As a commuting SELRES, I’m pretty sure I’m going to get my money’s worth via just the Uber credits and not having to buy food at the airport.

That said, the Airspace Lounge food in SAN is solidly meh. The price is right, but still meh.

Shame they cracked down on buying gift cards for airfare.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
As a commuting SELRES, I’m pretty sure I’m going to get my money’s worth via just the Uber credits and not having to buy food at the airport.

That said, the Airspace Lounge food in SAN is solidly meh. The price is right, but still meh.

Shame they cracked down on buying gift cards for airfare.

Also, as a heads up, AMEX Priority Pass holders no longer get the non-club (i.e.: dining options) anymore. So, where you used to be able to splurge on $28 for you and $28 for a guest, you no longer can. (Cough, get a new priority pass with Chase).

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Also, as a heads up, AMEX Priority Pass holders no longer get the non-club (i.e.: dining options) anymore. So, where you used to be able to splurge on $28 for you and $28 for a guest, you no longer can. (Cough, get a new priority pass with Chase).

I had a CSR and downgraded it to the Chase whatever to avoid the annual fee when I decided to stick with the Amex platinum. Without the food benefit, I lose a ton of value in the Amex Plat. I wonder if I would have to close the chase account completely and reopen one, or if they would extend those bennies to me if i upgraded it back to a CSR.....hmmmmmm

Switchstone

There goes my margaritas any time I fly out of Houston. The customer support for the AMEX Platinum has been absolutely fantastic so far. How does Chase compare w/ AMEX in that regard?

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
There goes my margaritas any time I fly out of Houston. The customer support for the AMEX Platinum has been absolutely fantastic so far. How does Chase compare w/ AMEX in that regard?
Not sure, I've never called Chase customer service within their credit division, outside of applying for MLA & SCRA benefits, in which case they were very helpful.

Notanaviator

Contributor

I’ve had very good experiences with the CSR folks, both in terms of troubleshooting and the travel concierge type services. From what I’ve heard, not quite as good on the latter as Amex Platinum, but no complaints at all.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So Amex finally caught up with me, a year later, and is asking for any paperwork demonstrating an extension of orders. Obviously that's not going to happen. So now I'm wondering if I should cancel or pay the fee. I have a bajillion points on my Captial One card, so I have continued to use that as my primary card. My typical usage for the Amex is just travel, but here's specifics:

• TSA (already enrolled and good for another couple of years)
  • Delta (as my airline of choice) lounges and reimbursement for luggage. Typically only travel once a year with that with my work sked.
  • Centurion lounge...when I have to go through Dallas for work. Typically only 1-2 times a year now that I'm not a new hire anymore.

Based on the above, I'm not sure it's worth paying the fee, and if I start to see a use for it again I can just sign up again, right? Am I missing anything else?

Ayo

I think it's worth it to keep at least one premium card.
  • $200 annual Uber credit ($15/month, $20/month in Dec)
  • $200 airline credit
  • $100 Saks credit ($50 every 6 months)
  • $100 hotel credit to spend on qualifying dining, spa, and resort activities
  • $100 credit for Global Entry (it includes TSA pre-check so if you plan on traveling international, it might be worth the upgrade).
  • Global Lounge Collection including Centurion, Delta Sky Club, and Priority Pass Select
  • Hilton Honors Gold Status
  • Marriott Gold Elite Status
  • Travel insurance
  • Rental car insurance
  • zero international transaction fees
I really enjoyed Jake Broe's video on the card (
)

Last edited:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
  • Hilton Honors Gold Status
  • Marriott Gold Elite Status

I'm not going to lie, I have no idea what that means. Especially when my IPs book rooms and get the points. Let me tell you where the IP touched me...

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wouldn’t pay the fee if I wasn’t getting my money’s worth out of it. Perks are nice, but mainly because I’m a commuting SELRES. If I was a PacNW driller, I’d probably cancel the thing.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Those are actually huge perks.

If you get the benefit. But if someone else is booking the reservations and getting the points, then.... Is it? Honest question and trying to figure out the end-benefit to me.

NUFO06

None
For the SELRES guys, are you getting the cards while your on prolonged orders? Before you left active duty?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
If you get the benefit. But if someone else is booking the reservations and getting the points, then.... Is it? Honest question and trying to figure out the end-benefit to me.
Gold status gets you free breakfast. That's $25 a pop right there.