• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AMEX Platinum

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
For the SELRES guys, are you getting the cards while your on prolonged orders? Before you left active duty?

Apply for SCRA benefits while on orders through the portal on the Amex site or call them. They’ll refund the fee when they ping the database.

LAMPS Ninja

I love LAMPS?
pilot
Apply for SCRA benefits while on orders through the portal on the Amex site or call them. They’ll refund the fee when they ping the database.

Sometimes that works, and sometimes not. I’ve only tried it during AT. Chase has waived my fee both times I’ve asked, but AmEx has only done it once (this year). Might be better odds of success while on longer orders, though.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I did it on six month orders and it worked. They have gotten wise again though, so I will probably have to pay for the first time since leaving AD in summer ‘17

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you get the benefit. But if someone else is booking the reservations and getting the points, then.... Is it? Honest question and trying to figure out the end-benefit to me.
You can give the hotel your Honors number upon check in. You get a bunch of perks depending on the property. Free drinks, free internet, free food. I spend 2 months each year in Vegas in my current gig and we stay at the Hilton Grand Vacations. I used the points for 5 nights in Bend this summer. Good times.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You can give the hotel your Honors number upon check in. You get a bunch of perks depending on the property. Free drinks, free internet, free food. I spend 2 months each year in Vegas in my current gig and we stay at the Hilton Grand Vacations. I used the points for 5 nights in Bend this summer. Good times.

You would not believe the shit-storm that happens if you take the IP's points away. It's a huge deal to them. Yes, it's ridiculous.

Regardless, big picture here, I'm only really staying in a hotel for business maybe once a year now. Otherwise, motel living isn't really a thing throughout the year, so the benefit doesn't seem to be that great. That's why I'm trying to see if I'm missing any other parts of the calculus to see if it's worth paying the fee.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You would not believe the shit-storm that happens if you take the IP's points away. It's a huge deal to them. Yes, it's ridiculous.
Why would this be a thing? I’m fairly certain the JTR says you can keep points/miles as long as you’re not making the government pay extra to chase them.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anyone used any of the lounges at Incheon International? I've got a bit of a layover there.

My last layover there in July gave us access to the Korean Air Prestige, can’t remember which one we used east or west. Either way it was pretty good. Nice food selection, we were pretty full from Delta One, but gave in and ate more after hour 4 of a 6 of the layover. Lots of choices, some veg/vegan too, decent booze. Plenty of seating.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Might want to start looking at some of the credit card offers again as the companies seem to be raising the bonus to join. The Delta Platinum AMEX card offer is 100,000 miles now and also offers first checked bag free plus a free domestic companion ticket per year free. Cost is $250 annually.

Have had good results with the Chase Platinum Reserve card - the points from it are going to cover our summer domestic airfare and the rental car (2 weeks of the rental car was twice as expensive as all the airline tickets combined - rental car fees are exorbitantly high right now - BOOK EARLY).

Also, a reminder for the AMEX Blue Cash preferred. You get 6% back on groceries up to a maximum of $360 per year. Fee is $95 annually. Left alone, it can add up over the years.

a_dub

"flank" speed
On the note of the AMEX, if you’re like me sadly, I’ve been wasting years/decades of benefits...found a group on FB ( there are multiple) called AMEX Platinum Aficionados or something like that... these folks make a life out of maximizing benefits. I’ve been able to hammer out max benefits for each of the offers. Highly suggest checking them out and following the tips and tricks to get max benefits to the card.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
On the note of the AMEX, if you’re like me sadly, I’ve been wasting years/decades of benefits...found a group on FB ( there are multiple) called AMEX Platinum Aficionados or something like that... these folks make a life out of maximizing benefits. I’ve been able to hammer out max benefits for each of the offers. Highly suggest checking them out and following the tips and tricks to get max benefits to the card.

I would second this. Also, if you're into Reddit, there are the following subreddits:

There are also tons of YouTubers who can help:

If you have these premium cards for free due to the Military Lending Act or Servicemembers Civil Relief Act and you aren't taking advantage of the perks then you are missing out.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I have received an early notice from TSA that I'm finally up for Pre-Check renewal. Has anyone done the renewal before the anniversary date using their AMEX and had the fee refunded? Or is AMEX pretty strict with matching the date they paid out previously? I'm guessing it's an automated process, so if I tried to renew early, it would see I haven't met the date and not refund the fee.

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
I have received an early notice from TSA that I'm finally up for Pre-Check renewal. Has anyone done the renewal before the anniversary date using their AMEX and had the fee refunded? Or is AMEX pretty strict with matching the date they paid out previously? I'm guessing it's an automated process, so if I tried to renew early, it would see I haven't met the date and not refund the fee.
I believe you can chat with the Amex reps and see when you’re eligible to receive the credit again.