• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Amendment to Navy Ribbons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Singer6

Konichiwa *****es
Academy mids rate wearing the National Defense medal. We got a MUC when I was there too. The ribbon thing in college is a little strange too. Like being able to wear ribbons on whites but not kakhis until you graduated or being able to wear marksman/sharpshooter ribbons. Then you graduate and you have to be expert to keep them on.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
At my unit, some kids earned a pistal qual during their summer cruises. One guy even got a deterrent pin. I'm sure he felt special. And me, drill team, intramural, and sailing ribbons. YEA BABY! If it were up to me, I wouldnt wear any of them cuz they look really gay as someone mentioned.

Also, why do mids at the academy rate the Nat'l Defense medal? I'm still tryin to figure that one out.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
VarmintShooter said:
FAKE WINGS?!? What the heck do they get those for?

One of the AF people in my API class went to USAFA... Saw a picture of her with wings on and i asked if they were glider wings (which appearently they can get). She said they were not, and were her "Cadet Wings". I guess they get wings just for being, well, cadets... One of their OTS guys asked me if navy people get ribbons for completing OCS... Appearently they get those too.

From what i understand, mids from the academy get the NDSM because they are active duty. NROTC mids aren't and therefore don't rate it, so don't expect yourse till commissioning.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Also, why do mids at the academy rate the Nat'l Defense medal? I'm still tryin to figure that one out.

Just to make nrotc guys jealous.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Singer6 said:
Academy mids rate wearing the National Defense medal. We got a MUC when I was there too. The ribbon thing in college is a little strange too. Like being able to wear ribbons on whites but not kakhis until you graduated or being able to wear marksman/sharpshooter ribbons. Then you graduate and you have to be expert to keep them on.

What on earth did they do to get a MUC?

By the way, unless the regs have changed in the last few years, you can still wear marksman or sharpshooter ribbons. The medals are only for expert. I heard that you had to re-qual marksman or sharpshooter every few years, but I'm not certain that's true.

Hope that isn't bad gouge ... :)

KBayDog

PLEASE tell me that's not the MUC the Academy got because the mids didn't get in any major trouble for a whole year...

(This coming from the Marine who got a MUC just for being on recruiter's assistance for a few weeks... ;) )

Crowbar

None
What's the big deal about the NDSM? The day you get commissioned you are on active duty and rate it right away. Why is everybody freaking out?

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Yeah no kidding. You can have mine...

I was a one ribbon Marine for a long azz time...hated putting just the one on more than when I had none before 9/11.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
HAHA. I was one of those NJROTC kids that had 18 (literally) ribbons, and two medals. Some of them were hard to earn (500 hrs community service), some weren't (military aptitude award). When compared to the real military, they are of course a mere joke in comparison.

Nonetheless, at a high school level, I feel that it is a good thing. It is a way for kids to prove themselves, and a minute way to reward them for hard work, effort, and dedication. In a time (that was for me) filled with confusion, distractions, Y's in the road, and lots of other bad sh*t, NJROTC was a great avenue and path for me. It was a challenge to see where I could get if I put my mind to it. Although it is immature in hindsight, earning ribbons and medals was the only way for me to be proud of who I was, and gain respect from my high school colleagues.

Although it is practically a joke to most the military (and me now too of course :D), NJROTC is the only reason I am where I am today.

KBayDog

Godspeed said:
NJROTC is the only reason I am where I am today.

You sure your mother and father didn't have a little something to do with it, one night, about 21 years ago?

Super18Ordie

F/A-18 Ordnanceman
Its kinda funny that I have more medals and ribbons for being in the marching band in high school then I do after 2 "war" cruises (OEF and OIF) 15 medals 12 ribbons vs 5 medals 3 ribbons

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
My Boy Scout patches/ribbons/ medals are the shiz.

The patches are basically for stupid campouts, no one really cares about them. But my two medals were both earned, for things I'm pretty proud of doing, one for my earning Eagle Scout. It's a sweet medal. The Crossed Medal, Ad Altare Dei is a Boy Scout religious award (in my case, Catholic).

eagle_medal.jpg

and

rm-aa.gif

My brother has a cool award for saving some kid's life by doing the heimlich manuever and help breaking up a fight (the kid choked on the gum during the fight, haha).

Anyways, yeah I know they are pretty gay compared to the real ribbons and medals you guys get, but I'm still proud of my Eagle Scout.

And finally, I got a Gold Star today in English Class! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.