• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Amendment to Navy Ribbons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Thought you would all get a kick out of these.

Attachments

• newribbons.JPG
    newribbons.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 927

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
Those are *almost* as lame as the fake NROTC ribbons.

Its always funny to explain what they're for to non-mids.

"Oh yeah I got this one for ummm killing a hundred terrorists and this one is uhhh because..."

Note: the Air Farce kids wear fake wings in addition to 5 rows of fake ribbons.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
pennst8 said:
Those are *almost* as lame as the fake NROTC ribbons.

Its always funny to explain what they're for to non-mids.

"Oh yeah I got this one for ummm killing a hundred terrorists and this one is uhhh because..."

Note: the Air Farce kids wear fake wings in addition to 5 rows of fake ribbons.

I dont know what youre talking about....my intramural ribbon makes me feel like more of a man.... :icon_smil :D

B

Blutonski816

I had a ribbon in MCJROTC for "longevity" and I always explained to people that I earned it because of the characteristics of my genitals :icon_wink

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I never went in for the NROTC ribbons. I always thought they were gay, even in my hyper-moto whitewall haircut period. When a student battalion commander decided that everyone needed to wear them, I said I wasn't going to mix an intramural sports ribbon with my real ones (only 2 at the time, but at least they were real). It's just rediculous for a high school or college student to look like Audie Murphy in uniform. I think it presents a poor image of the Armed Forces, as well.

BTW, everyone in the USAF has some kind of wings now. They're much like branch insignia in the Army. Of course the shiny finish is such you can't tell what the MOS symbol is, anyway. It's a morale-booster, kind of like the Army and berets.

B

Blutonski816

I rarely wore my ribbons. Only during District Inspections, Drill meets or parades. As stupid as they were (I got this gay little "perfect attendance ribbon my first year that looks like the Flag), at least we earned them. The Chair force kids come out of their first sememseter of the first year looking like some war hero. In my 3 years (had to skip a year to fill in a Foreign language credit) I only have 7 ribbons, three of them were awarded twice (pending of course others I might be awarded at the end of the year, even though I won't wear them after the award ceremony). Our Cadet Bn X.O. has only about 9, the C.O. is the only one who stands out with about 15 ribbons.

Still, the Air force kids seem to get 'em like candy.
The old joke was that at the end of each semester their cadets woud just be told to reach into a barrel and grab all the ribbons they can. I guess it's what one should expect from the same people who gave a UAV pilot an Air medal...

Super18Ordie

F/A-18 Ordnanceman
When I was on the Roosevelt, I had to give a tour to a bunch of JROTC kids. The uniform was summer whites (enlisted version). Well one of the kids remarked to me "I have more ribbons then you do" (I had at the time 7) to which I replied "Yeah well mine mean something unlike yours". He didnt say another word to me the rest of the tour.

B

Blutonski816

Super18Ordie said:
When I was on the Roosevelt, I had to give a tour to a bunch of JROTC kids. The uniform was summer whites (enlisted version). Well one of the kids remarked to me "I have more ribbons then you do" (I had at the time 7) to which I replied "Yeah well mine mean something unlike yours". He didnt say another word to me the rest of the tour.

Serves him right. That's the problem wiht a lot of the JROTC kids. They think by wearing a uniform, that they've joined the armed forces and can therefore act like a Sailor/Marine/Soldier/Airman.

After our most recent District Inspection, the Senior Inspecting Officer (a Cobra Driver formerly with HMLA-169) made this little speech to the battalion where he adressed the fact that "...You are NOT Marines. You are CADETS of the Marine Corps Junior ROTC..." of course he balanced it out with, "... I've earned the title of Marine, but I wish I was given the opportunity to be a Cadet when I was in high school."

That reminds me of a story
There was a 2nd year Cadet who was learning to command a platoon for drill. He started yelling out commands, trying to mimic a Drill Instructor. I was formed up in the platoon with the rest of the cadets trying to follow the orders he gave. The first 5 minutes were a total disaster, so many commands were'nt even distinguishable from eachother, and he actually had the nerve to scold the platoon.
Being the Senior cadet there I immidiately asked the platoon, "how many of you are having trouble understanding *name withheld*?"
Hands went up like fireworks at 4th of July.
So I then walk up to him and have a private conversation, inaudible to the rest of the platoon.
I asked, "Does the Marine Corps pay you to be a Drill Instructor?"
He replies, "Not yet, sir."
I then stated "Well, until you are, I suggest drilling in a voice that can be understood by the platoon."
He gives me a simple "Yes, sir." and I return to the formation.
The rest of the day's drill went very smoothly
Since then I have yet to hear anyone tyring to use their Drill Instructor Voice.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
phrogdriver said:
I never went in for the NROTC ribbons. I always thought they were gay, even in my hyper-moto whitewall haircut period.

Yeah they pretty much force them on us - those caught not wearing them at the last inspection recieved an automatic failure... I'm glad I threw 'em on that afternoon because coming back at 0500 to be inspected personally by the AMOI was not something I would have enjoyed.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
VarmintShooter said:
FAKE WINGS?!? What the heck do they get those for?

The AF kids at my school, Norwich, got fake wings once they'd been selected for pilot. And the AF pilot and nav selects got to wear flight suits on Mil lab days.

Status
Not open for further replies.