• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Am I truly SOL??

Status
Not open for further replies.

spsiratt

24 April OCS
dsweeney, with the bazillion or so accronyms, you were probably thinking SI - Special Intelligence and got the two wrapped around each other. It's easy to do.
chelu55, if you're applying for a rated position in the AF (pilot, nav, ABM) OR you have a tech degree you can apply to any board. If you're looking for a non-rated, non-tech board, there are only 2 per year. Sorry for the confusion. Basically, if you want to fly, you can apply to any board but what the recruiter told you is pretty much right, though not entirely. The pilot's license and hours are not a requirement, but damn near it. Your chances are pretty slim without it, but not impossible.
04Hopeful, feel free to PM me with any questions you have. I'll answer all I can.

bisouss69

Originally posted by wink
It looks like bisouss is currently enlisted. You will find the enlisted recruiters are a different breed from officer recruiters. Frankly, their job is harder and they are under more pressure than OPO recruiters. That isn't to say that there are not OPO recruiters that are jerks or simply not good at what they do. It is my experience after yeras in the business that the vast majority of OPO recruiters are sincere and honest, if not brutally so some times. As I am not a "production recruiter" and am not evaluated on how many people sign a contract you can be sure of my perspective. First, no age waiver for 04hopeful, sorry. CEC might be best bet. The Seabees are a great community. They fight with an M-16 in one hand and a transit in the other. Supply or AMDO maybe, but a real tough sell. Comments here re. clearances sounds accurate to me. Millington will not help you with your real problem. If you are still peeved about how your recruiter delt with you you can lodge a complaint, but that is it. I have said it a million times on this site. Apply early! Don't wait. Like it or not there are a hundred guys in line behind every one of you. You might be convinced the navy is missing out on not taking you, but it just isn't that likely, from the navy's point of view. I have seen dozens of first class candidates over the years I would have loved to put in the navy that were too old. Almost every one of them had simply waited too long. No other excuse. They could have done ROTC, BDCP, NUPOC, or simply applied for OCS three years sooner. But they didn't. Don't know 04hopeful's situation. Sorry it is looking dim. But for the rest of you, get those apps in!

My officer recruiters were enlisted as well. I dont want to go through the whole gambit about that.. its been posted on another forum either on this or the navyocs forum. Even getting my second OCS package in on the enlisted end was hell. I dont have high regard for recruiters.. I know an E6 who is going to recruite and well.. to say the least he is less than a standard E6 or even an E3. I guess lazyness and incompetance pays to get ahead. I cant wait till they instill the perform to serve on all ranks.. get rid of the ones who are no fit to serve. Jsut in general.. from what I learned in the Navy.. dont depend on anyone to do their job.. if you can do it yourself.. do it yourself. At least you know it will be done right. You have to remeber.. in the military you cant get fired. You will get paid regardless how good you do your job. Its not the civilian world.. I would of had most people fired by now. Thats why a lot stay in the service. I'll probably get a sh*t about it.. but overall.. you cant disagree if you been in the business. If you show competance.. you will work more than someone who doesnt. Thats how it goes.

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
04Hopeful,

This is weird. To let you know, I am in BDCP for SNA right now (before OCS). So, that means that i have been accepted, and no problem with the security cleareance (yet).

My mom was also born in Holland (not naturalized) and has been living here in the US at the same address for atleast 22 years. My father is from the US however. My mom hasn't gotten her US citizenship yet (nor do I think she ever will, for some reason I'll never understand....laziness). This never caused any problems when I applied for BDCP or SNA. Am I missing something?

Good luck.

D

AirJarhead

I was born in Canada, and my parents still live in Canada. I still got a clearance. I was 30 when I got my flight contract too (although I was prior enlisted and they take that into consideration).

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
O4hopeful, Had to look it up. Latest document I have here at home says 35 years old for AMDO and 29 for Supply. You might want to check the navy.com web site and get back to your recruiter. Hope something works out.

04Hopeful

EA3 -> IS3 -> Intel O1(hopefully)
Wink: I looked throughout all of navy.com as well as navy.mil but could not find anything that specifically states it for AMDO. Could you tell me what document you might have at home that way I could see if maybe there is a new version available. Thank you!

04Hopeful

D_mac05 & AirJarHead: I appreciate the support guys! However from my understanding is that SNA and NFO only require a secret security clearance in which it is not necessary to have your immediate family be citizens, however Intel requires a top-secret security clearance which is much more strict and an actualy SSBI will be done on the person. Anyone vouch for this info?

spsiratt

24 April OCS
Intel does require a TS/SCI clearance and an SSBI is what gets you that. However, only you have to be an American citizen to get a TS/SCI clearance. Like I said in my earlier post, my former housemate's dad is French and his mother is from Uraguay. Neither one of them are American citizens, but he was born in the U.S. while his dad worked for a cruise line, so he's a citizen. Shortly after he was born they moved back to France and lived there until he was 16. When he joined the AF and applied for his clearance they made him drop his French citizenship (he had dual U.S./French) and that was that. The rest of the investigation continued as normal and he was awarded a TS/SCI clearance. Anyone that tells you that you can't get a clearance based solely on the fact that your parents are foreigners shouldn't comment. I know it can happen becuase I've seen it first hand. Of course, that doesn't mean that you would certainly get a clearance, just that it can't be ruled out because of your parents.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I did a little more digging and got some different info. A summery document directly from CRUITCOM dated SEP '02 said 29 for AMDO. That is the latest info I have. Sorry to jerk you around. Your recruiter has the latest info. If the guy you are working with now is brand new then he just came from recruiting school and has the latest gouge. He may not have the best bed side manner, but you are going to have to trust him. Call back and tell him you met an old recruiter that couldn't remember but thought it was 35. Ask him to just be sure. Sorry I can't be more help. I won't be in the office myself for another couple weeks.

04Hopeful

Wink: thank you for the latest info, it is really appreciated!! at least now I know it for sure. He did say I could always do a lateral transfer so I am also going to put PAO, it may not be the most glorious job but at least I get to serve my country and be a Naval Officer :)

spsiratt: I really appreciate that insight, I will ask him to see what kind of clearance I will be needing as an Intel officer, if it is a TS/SCI (I dont know if there might be others) then I will definitely put my package in and see what shakes out.

To all of you who have written to me on this topic, thank you so much, and I hope to see you in the fleet!

Status
Not open for further replies.