• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Am I out of time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dewahl

Probably not. Not something I would do personally. But different strokes for different folks. I've seen guys join up to specifically be Boatswain Mates. Depends on their motivation. I would sure as heck make sure they are as informed as possible before they take any steps that could hinder their abilities. Also, if I were 26 or older and was wanting to start a career in the Navy I would think about who my peers would be if I were enlisted. You might be the same age as your chief, haha.

Dave

rcdavidson

Meridiani,

I am 26 in the BDCP pilot program and have no prior service. In addition, I will be 27 when I get commissioned. I did not receive a waiver; I believe you just need to be commissioned by 27; not your 27th birthday.

Meridiani

Thanks everyone for all the input! I appreciate it.

Wow, hobe-that's very interesting. Congrats! You give me hope!

As for enlisting...well, no offense, but I don't think I'd go that route. As Dave pointed out, many of my enlisted superiors would be my age or younger. That would be pretty weird. If worse comes to worse, I'll get into some other officer community and take private flying lessons. I think there's a program where private pilots can be involved in Navy flying. I forget what it's called. I'm sure it's pretty low-speed compared with being an SNA, but what the heck?

Hartman, thanks for the vote of confidence, but I doubt my classes in quantum mechanics will make me any better suited to flying a plane than anyone else, LOL! The idea of getting in those dunkers at API scares the bejeezus out of me.
icon_smile_wink.gif

Hartman

Stacy,

I would double check the age cut-off. I don't know if it's different for BDCP, but I'm almost certain that you have to be COMMISSIONED by your 27th B-day (not 28th) if you come in off of the street.

Meridiani

Yeah, I did double check. All the documentation I can find says that you must be commissioned prior to turning 27. Perhaps BDCP is considered prior service, and those people are eligible for a waiver?

Goliath112

BDCP counts as enlisted service time (for example if you did 3 yrs and 365 days but need the 1 extra for OE-1 pay. but, you won't get any prior service accolades for it. I don't think it counts as prior for waivers.

man the wait is killing me

wilsonator

i was also pushing the age limit but i applied anyway. They got me into a class November 23rd of this year. the last possible class for my age but who cares. they will get you in if they want you. the 22 and 23 year old are gonna wait for us grandmas.

FLY NAVY!!!!

good luck.
Camille

Meridiani

Originally posted by wilsonator
they will get you in if they want you. the 22 and 23 year old are gonna wait for us grandmas.

LOL! Thanks for the encouragement, Camille! [:D] I'm scheduled to have PRK next week. I've got my fingers crossed that all will go well.

Hartman

Good luck on your PRK. Just remember to relax and follow your doctor's post-op instructions to the 'T.'

Status
Not open for further replies.