• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Am I F*&$'D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aviator3000

Here is my problem, I am 21 and the first couple years I went to school I had some really horrible grades that brought my cumulative gpa down to ****. My major gpa is 3.2(accounting), but my cumulative is 2.4 (I know it sounds impossible right). I messed up my first couple years, I was basically overwhelmed, I was trying to go 18 credit hours a semester, and I was working full time. I changed my major last fall and have pulled a 3.8 last semester, and I am on pace to get a 4.0 this semester. Do I have a shot at getting into BDCP? Is there anyway I can explain my bad grades to the board and how I was working full time to afford to go to school? I have gotten my **** together since and have damn good grades now and intend to do what it takes to become an officer. Should I just retake every class I have bombed or should I try to apply for BDCP now? Any info I can get would be very appreciated.

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
Aviator3000 said:
Here is my problem, I am 21 and the first couple years I went to school I had some really horrible grades that brought my cumulative gpa down to ****. My major gpa is 3.2(accounting), but my cumulative is 2.4 (I know it sounds impossible right). I messed up my first couple years, I was basically overwhelmed, I was trying to go 18 credit hours a semester, and I was working full time. I changed my major last fall and have pulled a 3.8 last semester, and I am on pace to get a 4.0 this semester. Do I have a shot at getting into BDCP? Is there anyway I can explain my bad grades to the board and how I was working full time to afford to go to school? I have gotten my **** together since and have damn good grades now and intend to do what it takes to become an officer. Should I just retake every class I have bombed or should I try to apply for BDCP now? Any info I can get would be very appreciated.

Dude, I am in the same boat. My GPA sucks ass, it is a 2.1. You need at least a 2.7 to be in BDCP. How is your ASTB scores? Do you do extracurricular activities, can you get good LORs, how does your whole person image look?

There are more variables to getting a slot than just GPA, however GPA is weighted more. But remember that they go for the whole person concept, not just the guys with the highest GPA. Point in case, my recruiter told me they just got a guy a SNA slot with a 2.51 GPA.

There is always hope! Good luck!

Kycntryboy

pilot
If your a senior I would say you are royally, however if you are a junior, and you get a 4.0 this semester whose to say you couldn't write an explaination telling them that you "grew up" and "starting adhering to your responsibilities" if you would apply after this semester closes. Just a thought.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I know that you guys want to go the BDCP route for the money, and that's fine. But if your ultimate goal is to become a naval officer, and you don't get picked up BDCP, keep working hard, and apply OCS. There's less academic requirements than BDCP, because they aren't investing money in you.

Aviator3000

BDCP would sure make it easier to go through college, my ultimate goal is to become a CAREER navel officer, I am a sophmore, but this semester would be my fall semester even though it is the spring, I definitely have some time, I pay my own way for school, im eligible to take out peanuts for loans, maybe I can explain that and how I have become more responsible. I was wondering if the classes I bombed, I should make them up (there was a semester I stopped going to class, and didn't even drop the classes, I was just burnt out from going 13+ hours a day, work, school, and staying in shape). I have not taken my ASTB yet, any other information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys.

Aviator3000

Jolly Roger as far as letters of recomendation, my best friends dad is a retired major from the Air Force, he piloted B-52's, and I sometimes work out at the gym with a captain of the Air Force that would most likely write me a letter, would letters from them help?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Don't repeat classes unless you have to. i.e. if the class is required for your major, and you needed a C or better. That's not going to impress anyone. They look at your transcripts, will notice that you're repeating classes. Keep moving forward, if you're only a soph, you're not in bad shape. If you can get the bare minimum 2.7 cumulative GPA, and you have a couple semesters on the dean's list, you can make a good case.

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
Aviator3000 said:
BDCP would sure make it easier to go through college, my ultimate goal is to become a CAREER navel officer, I am a sophmore, but this semester would be my fall semester even though it is the spring, I definitely have some time, I pay my own way for school, im eligible to take out peanuts for loans, maybe I can explain that and how I have become more responsible. I was wondering if the classes I bombed, I should make them up (there was a semester I stopped going to class, and didn't even drop the classes, I was just burnt out from going 13+ hours a day, work, school, and staying in shape). I have not taken my ASTB yet, any other information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys.

Man, the similarities between us are scary! However, my GPA went into the tank because of a bad advice from my department advisor. There was one two classes that ate my lunch and in my degree program I needed at least C to advance to the next class, I kept making Ds. Here is where the rub is- my advisor negelcted to tell me that once you take a class three times the grades are averaged together. Tht kind of killed my GPA! Though I did make a C in both classes the third time, too, I really wasn't certain of the direction that I wanted to go in life. I do now!! :icon_mi_1

Aviator3000

Its good to know im not the only one, but Jolly Roger is the take a class three times and the grades are averaged just apply to your school or all schools? Better make sure the second time I take a class I kick ass. I wish I could go back in time and kick my own ass, but I can't so I guess I just have to move forward.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Aviator3000,

Where I went to school, once you got a grade, it stuck. If you had to repeat it, you got a new grade. For example: I know someone who failed freshman english, and then took it again and got an A. They don't "average" the classes, they just add it to your transcript which means he had 3.0 credits of 0.0, and 3.0 credits of 4.0. Add that up, and you get 2.0.

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
Aviator3000 said:
Its good to know im not the only one, but Jolly Roger is the take a class three times and the grades are averaged just apply to your school or all schools? Better make sure the second time I take a class I kick ass. I wish I could go back in time and kick my own ass, but I can't so I guess I just have to move forward.

No that is just my school, good ol'e Stephen F. So I made two D's and a C for the three times that I could take it, which gave me a 2.25 for the class, but since on the last time I took the class I got advance. I am proud to say that I am definately working my lazy ass off now! I am motivated, baby!

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
yeah, i got horrible advices in nrotc and came back with a 1.56 gpa. don't worry dudes, there's always time. i don't think they'll care how bad your gpa is in the end, as long as you hit the minimum and show that you gave it all. that's what i'm trying to do, although taking physics and chemistry isn't a good idea.

Aviator3000

yeah Im in the same boat as you jolly Roger, I flucked up before, and now Im trying to fix my prior mistakes. Not only to I want to get in BDCP, I want to get a slot in SNA, Im sure you do too. I have alot of work ahead of me. With the competition it might even be damn near impossible. I should have just started over and went a year at another school for some kind of engineering and tried my luck with a 3 year BDCP, but hindsight is 20/20, I have a long road ahead of me, but I know I can do it.

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
Good luck man! I am going for an SNA slot any way I can get it! If I can get BDCP great, but more important to me than the money is the SNA slot. I am looking to make a career in the Navy as well.

Enishi, my rebound started at the same place! My recruiter told me that recoverning my GPA from the crapper showed more spirit and tenacity and that it is more impressive than maintaining a 3.75 GPA for four years. My majors are physics and history, so it makes it difficult to avoid those physics and chemistry classes.

Best of Luck to all!

Status
Not open for further replies.