• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Always expect the unexpectedm; my Class A mishap

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I am currently an instructor at VAW-120 flying C-2A Greyhounds. I am a fleet experienced aviator with almost 1,600 flight hours, 200 carrier landing from the left seat (40 at night), another 300 carrier landings from the right seat, and was very confident in the cockpit of the C-2A.

Back on 12 March of this year, I was instructing a T-6 (landing pattern hop with emphasis on simulated single engine landings) with a student at MCAS Cherry Point. The entire hop had been done by the book. I spent the majority of my time instructing while keeping an eye out for the safety of the aircraft and crew. This student was doing well but I never let my gaurd down. He had some issues with his first SSE but on his second, did very well. Overall, the student was definitely doing above average. On his third SSE approach, I made two mistakes that ended up being the cause of a Class A mishap (over 1 million in damage but fortunetly no loss of human life).

To make it brief, the student flew this pass well, had his procedures down, rolled onto final on centerline, onspeed, and in coordinated flight. On touchdown, he rolled through the landing gear, as briefed, and I told him he could have both engines back. My first mistake of the flight was not to have my feet on the rudders on this particular pass. Granted I was in a good defensive position (left hand right behind the power levers, right hand on the glare shield, but opted to put my feet on the floor). If I had my feet on the rudders, I most likely would have known that the student had trimmed the rudder full left and was holding in right rudder with his right foot. As he got the right engine back, he matched the power levers, began to add power but for whatever reason, he relaxed his right foot and let off the rudder. He should have kept right rudder pressure; well, he actually should have increased it while adding power. My second mistake happend here, as soon as the aircraft started a slight yaw to the left, which I have seen many times, I was going to give him a potato to see if he would correct. Unfortunetly, the moment I had that thought, the aircraft started a viloent yaw to the left, with the left wing dropping. The aircraft departed the runway, hit the ground hard, spun almost 150 degrees off course (in the air mind you), hit the ground hard and came to a stop. From going straight down the runway to departing it at 90 degrees took ~1.7 seconds; it happened quick due to the asymmetric wing stall. The C-2 burst into flames on the right side, with the gear collapsing, the prop tearing through the fuselage, the right wing breaking in half, and the stbd bottom portion of the rudder shearing off. Thank you Grumman for that big wing that kept from flipping since it was going to go over on its back but obviously that huge wingspan prevented it. Once stopped, I called for an evacuation of the aircrew (5 total), shut down the engines, and told the stunned student to get out. I then exited the aircraft once all were out.

My FNAEB board is now over. I will fly and instruct again soon. Prior to this mishap, I was a steely eyed instructor with tons of confidence. I always felt I was ready for any situation. I had flown with much worse students than the one above and have had many worse situations. I was always able to come out of those situations unscathed. March 12 obviously was different. Again, from the investigation, all training was done by the book. Having your feet on the rudders isn't required by NATOPS, OPNAV 3710, VAW-120's SOP, or the STOP manual. However, it needed to happen to prevent this accident. I failed to do so and as the Aircraft Commander and Instructor Pilot of Greyhawk 631, I was responsible for the safety of the aircraft and crew. I failed to do my job on this flight. I didn't expect the unexpected. So please remember what we do is very unforgiving. Just when things seem 100% normal, all hell can break lose. I thank God than none of my crew was seriously injured or killed. An aircraft can be fixed or replaced, a human life cannot.

As always, FLY NAVY
thumbup_125.gif

SemperFitz

Expert in Nameology
-bump- kept waiting for your story since someone referenced it in my F/A-18 crash post. Figured others would be interested in seeing it too. Anyway, thanks for the story, very interesting getting the PIC's viewpoint.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
SemperFitz said:
-bump- kept waiting for your story since someone referenced it in my F/A-18 crash post. Figured others would be interested in seeing it too. Anyway, thanks for the story, very interesting getting the PIC's viewpoint.

Sorry about that. I was meaning to get back to you on it but just got busy. One thing that came out after the mishap is the student used aileron to correct back to the right while letting off the right rudder. This caused an immediate asymmetrical wing stall. This is why the left wing dropped and the aircraft yawed violently to the left and left the runway in just over a second. The total mishap took about 3.5 secs. It happens quick.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Busy? Perhaps making road trip plans to Pensacola? Thanks though for the story again. When you get back we'd love to hear that tape. And by the way, I already studied today.

Darin

Just out of curiosity, what is the deal with the student pilot after this incident?

-D

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Darin said:
Just out of curiosity, what is the deal with the student pilot after this incident?

-D

The student pilot continued on and finished the FRS very strong. He ranked 6 out of the last 100 C-2 students. His flight school grades were very strong as well. Just goes to show that **** can happen to anyone. Our bag of luck had some holes in it that day. It's okay though, we all walked away so the lucky bag isn't empty yet :D

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Patmack18 said:
Any pictures of the aftermath?

Give me a good email and I can send you the few that I have. Maybe you could post them on here. I have tried before but can't shrink them down to allow them.

Wow, what a time for the free premium trial features to expire. Bunk hope you don't mind, I had to crop the rest of the photos since the f###ing thing won't let me resize anymore, so I cut out ground and sky mostly.

Attachments

• PIC00013.JPG
    PIC00013.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 503

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Thanks for posting Vegita1220. By the way, we were heading the opposite direction (the runway in the background) and ended up almost 180 degrees off course.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Pic 5 is where the prop blade went right through the fuselage. That's one of the reasons the cargo cage was put where it is. This ensures nobody gets impailed by a prop blade.

Status
Not open for further replies.