• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Alpha Co.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
I just got my orders to report for Alpha Co. and I am more than ready. That being said, I have a question for those of you up at TBS now or those who have finished recently: what kind of stuff should I bring with me if I'm living in the BOQ? Also, what kinds of civilian clothes? I heard somewhere that jeans are now authorized for wear? I know this has been addressed in previous threads, but I wanted to get a more recent update from people already there. Thanks a lot.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Get some of those chemical hand warmers from wally world, they'll come in handy at the range and in the field. Also, invest in some good long underwear, I recommend getting poly-pro from Cabelas or RedHead (some recommend body armor)

As for stuff for the room...I'll let someone else answer that, I lived in housing.

farkle84

under armor is a life saver. trust me you will want it on the range. for the room, you are not going to need much. maybe a small tv, a computer (laptop is what i had) and some civilian clothes to hit up DC in. i ended up buying a coffee maker for those lovely early mornings and a microwave. i also bought a couple of pillows cuz the pillows issued sucked. plus bring a blanket so you dont have to make your rack every morning, just sleep on top. we had an x box for waiting for the "word". but i really didnt take much. just what i could stuff into bags in the back of a ford ranger. good luck man. artic alpha is the way to go

KBayDog

I'm in Echo (brown-bagger), but I can tell you this (especially if you will live at O'Bannon Hall): A computer is a necessity. If you can, get one with a printer, or better yet, scanning capabilities - it will save you a lot of heartache, not to mention looking like a mooch everytime something needs to get printed.

Jeans are authorized everywhere except the Hawkins Room.

Like the others have said, think "creature comforts;" the more you do to make your life a little more comfortable, the better.

Bring money - lots of it. I'd say $300-500 cash or so will suffice for the first few weeks. They will hit you up for all kinds of funds, lamination, books, etc, etc, etc.

Finally, bring Patience. Yeaaaaah, ya need a little Patience, yeaaaaaah, some more Patience, yeaaaaah....

usmcmustang

Housing for Brownbaggers

I have a question for all you brownbaggers, will be checking into Alpha Co. in Nov, and I'm looking into housing options, I have read the housing posts, and surfed the net & requested and Apt. Finders Guide, I thought I found good options in Stafford, (apartments and townhomes that looked great, and dirt cheap in comparisson to California rentals), but then read horrible reviews on the net, about ghetto like conditions, drug busts, burglaries, car theft, etc. which makes me consider base housing despite the lack of BAH and long commute. Any ideas? Are those rummors true?

Thanks!

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I hate to say it, mustang, but your chances of getting into base housing as a TBS student are probably zero. In F Co, last year, there was only one student that I knew of who managed it, and that was only because his son was a special needs child. That might change (or already have changed), though, because they were building a whole bunch of new govt units when I left in august. Can't remember the name of the plan for the life of me, but there's a gated townhome community, right out the back gate where a few of the guys in my platoon lived. Pretty decent, from what I remember.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Mustang- I lived at "The Pointe At Stafford" and recommend it. close to TBS, safe, not too expensive. Also, it's hard to go wrong with one of the complexes off of garrisonville or onville roads. Those are literally at TBS's back door and I haven't heard anything too bad about them. My experience is that woodbridge can be quite ghetto, had a Lt in my TBS company who had a shooting at his apt while he was there. Not to mention woodbridge is a longer commute than most people are willing to make while at TBS.

nowings1

Question re BAH-

My wife's pregnant and is moving in w/ her parents in Williamsburg VA while I'm at TBS (Alpha). The drive's about 2 1/2 hours, and I plan on making it weekends when able. Will we rate BAH?

klostman

the happy dance!
I am curious, I will be heading to TBS more than likely next summer. Anywho, my girlfriend is planning on going with me next summer. BAH is only available to those who are married/or have special needs correct? Or can a single Lt live off base with his girlfriend? I guess if I can't live with her, and aside from most weekends, will I have the the opportunity to see her during the middle of the week sometimes? I'm just trying to give her the low down on what she can expect. Sorry if this subject has been beat to death.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
nowings1 said:
Question re BAH-

My wife's pregnant and is moving in w/ her parents in Williamsburg VA while I'm at TBS (Alpha). The drive's about 2 1/2 hours, and I plan on making it weekends when able. Will we rate BAH?

Yep, you will be referred to as a "geo bachelor", you will have to live in the BOQ, but you will still rate BAH. You rate BAH for your duty station, so in other words even though your wife lives in williamsburg, you get Quantico BAH, for better or worse.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
klostman said:
I am curious, I will be heading to TBS more than likely next summer. Anywho, my girlfriend is planning on going with me next summer. BAH is only available to those who are married/or have special needs correct? Or can a single Lt live off base with his girlfriend? I guess if I can't live with her, and aside from most weekends, will I have the the opportunity to see her during the middle of the week sometimes? I'm just trying to give her the low down on what she can expect. Sorry if this subject has been beat to death.

You won't be able to live off base with your girlfriend, you have to be married. If you are not married and you do not have children there is no conceivable special need that would get you off base (that I can think of). You will have extremely limited time to see her during the week, but most weekends should be fine. I can't think of very many days where we were secured before 1900. You may sometimes lose a saturday morning if you fail land nav or the o course, and you will lose 1 weekend morning for urban patrolling, but other than that Friday night at 2000 to Monday at 0600 is yours.

KBayDog

I live at the Aquia Terrace (4 miles from the Onville gate); it is good to go. Look out for "income verification" complexes - they require you to earn LESS than a certain amount each year. (They get tax breaks if they lease to lower-income people.) As per usual, if you find a place you think is nice during, drive through at night before you sign a lease. That will tell you EVERYTHING you need to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.