• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

All things MV-22 Osprey

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Many fasility in MV-22 Osprey.The embarkation of the MV-22 Osprey is a pre-cursor to a major US led military exercise-JTFX 2007 in which Commodore Alan Richards, Commander of the UK Carrier Strike Group, based in Illustrious will lead one of three carrier strike groups and will also embark up to 16 US Marine Corps AV8B Harrier jets as well as operate her own Sea King airborne surveillance and rescue helicopters. The exercise will test her across the broad spectrum of conflict, ranging from embargo operations involving UK and US boarding teams to air strike missions dropping precision ordnance against simulated targets. The Captain of Illustrious, Captain Tim Fraser said, ‘This is a really exciting opportunity for Illustrious.

Do they have computers that generate this crap, or do they have an army of morons typing away like monkeys on typewriters?

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
MV22.jpg

1/26/2011
Marine Corps Air Station Miramar
Two MV-22 "Osprey" from Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron 161 fly over San Diego Jan. 11. The Marine Corps Air Station Miramar-based aircraft flew to Yuma, Ariz., to practice landing in formations of three., By Lance Cpl. Lisa M. Tourtelot

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I find it hilarious that a division of Plopters is newsworthy.

It's the base PAO. A bake sale is newsworthy there.

Air Force AIB from the one that went down in Afghanistan earlier this year-

http://www.afsoc.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-101215-007.pdf

Even as someone who doesn't really know what they're reading, still some very interesting stuff in there. I'm sure someone else can offer more intelligent analysis...

I won't even try. Meet me at the Miramar O'Club for my take.

I do like how the USAF gives a public airing of a thorough mishap investigation though. It's pretty hard to get the scoop on a USN/USMC mishap without jumping through hoops.

HueyHornet75

pilot
Phrogdriver,
Just curious-I was out at Pendleton a couple weeks ago and that pattern was the worst I've ever seen. Do you know what they're going to do with The Red Dragons, Purple Foxes and Knightrider squadrons? Are they moving down to Miramar when they become VMMs? Or is the plan to bring VMMs to Pendleton? 161 is serving as the TTU, right? I'm not too read in on the transition plan, and I figure it might help some of these bubbas out considering going west. I can't imagine what that field will be like if/when Ospreys are rocking the joint.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
The Aviation Campaign Plan has the answers. Two of those squadrons will be at CamPen. 164 will be the last one to switch--they'll be making -46 crewchiefs until the moment they have to turn out the lights.

Right now we're only allowed into Pendleton in conversion mode. I figure the Pendleton squadrons will not work the pattern. They will take a SID east and work the Stumps or Yuma.

161 isn't the TTU. TTU is just a group of IPs attached to MAG-16 to front-load instruction to transition pilots before they go to 204.

FlyinRock

I'm still hoping to regain contact with the 2Lt who went thru IFS in either Mobile KBFM, or in Bay Minette. I can see him grinning from ear to ear when he stopped to say Hello and to let me know he had gone to Ospreys. His name just won't come up my memory search. That would have been 3-4 years back so if he made it he should be operational by now.
Can anyone help out?
Semper Fi
Rocky
CJHP Alumni

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I'm still hoping to regain contact with the 2Lt who went thru IFS in either Mobile KBFM, or in Bay Minette. I can see him grinning from ear to ear when he stopped to say Hello and to let me know he had gone to Ospreys. His name just won't come up my memory search. That would have been 3-4 years back so if he made it he should be operational by now.
Can anyone help out?
Semper Fi
Rocky
CJHP Alumni

Rock, thru his father, I know of a Capt with VMM-162 (I think) that would probably fit your time frame. I'll PM you his name.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Can anyone help out?
Semper Fi
Rocky
CJHP Alumni

Got some friends in all the operational squadrons (to include KNKX) as we have all tracked together and hit the fleet around the same time. If you find out his name, PM me and Ill put you in contact.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
5431808862_4cb0b32d70_b.jpg

U.S. Air Force Maj. James Rowe, an Air Force CV-22 Osprey tiltrotor aircraft pilot, and co-pilot Capt. Timothy Skypeck, both from the 8th Special Operations Squadron (SOS) "Black Birds," come in for a landing Jan. 26, 2011, during a local training mission at Hurlburt Field, Fla. The Osprey's primary mission in the 8th SOS is insertion, extraction, and re-supply of unconventional warfare forces and equipment into hostile or enemy-controlled territory using airland or airdrop procedures. (U.S. Air Force photo by Master Sgt. Jeremy T. Lock)

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Just got back from the 100,000 flight hour ceremony for the V-22. Interesting facts I saw today--for the last 10 years, the MV-22 has had a better mishap rate per flight hour than the USMC as a whole. For the first 100,000 hours, it has had a better safety rate than any new USMC aircraft with the exception of the F/A-18.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Just got back from the 100,000 flight hour ceremony for the V-22. Interesting facts I saw today--for the last 10 years, the MV-22 has had a better mishap rate per flight hour than the USMC as a whole. For the first 100,000 hours, it has had a better safety rate than any new USMC aircraft with the exception of the F/A-18.

I think they all read this article prior to the ceremony.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
I think they all read this article prior to the ceremony.
I almost spit my Kabul produced Diet Coke all over my keyboard when I read in that article about the MV-22 readiness numbers. That author must not be using the MV-22 readiness numbers over the last year from here.

The Marine Corps has thrown a lot of cash at the Osprey. I'd be interested to see a comparison of "money per flight hour" for Marine Corps aircraft.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Well, readiness and safety aren't tied together. If you're not flying by staying conservative.....you're pretty safe.

Loren Thompson is an industry shill who hasn't met a military spending program he couldn't defend.