• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

All things MV-22 Osprey

81montedriver

pilot
Thanks HAL, I think my confusion is where in the pipeline does the path diverge. Pointy nose guys go one place Helo's go another, Maritime go another direction. That is where I get lost. Do you go through rotary, multi-engine, both or a hybrid?

Edit: maybe someone with his MSPP warfare pin could post one of those cool slides with all the graphics and arrows... :)

At the moment, guys who select Osprey's go through the helo syllabus in Whiting then come to Corpus and fly the C-12. You will end up in advanced for roughly a year barring any wait times. To get Osprey's out of primary, you will want your NSS to pretty competitive i.e. high 40's. Not sure if there is indeed a min NSS. Any Osprey guys out there will have to correct me on that.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor

They go to unique Tilt Rotor path which consists of some Helo Time first, then to Multi Engine Props in Corpus. My understanding is that they wing in Corpus. Then off to the RAG. While the working of the MV-22 may be pure f'in magic, their training is not.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
All above are correct - Just winged in Corpus last Fri the 13th...

The min NSS when I selected was 40 (June '09) but I don't know if that is still in place. After a series of changes over the past couple years, the Tiltrotor flow now is: API, Primary, Helo, Multi-Engine.

The specifics of the syllabus has changed quite a bit too. The helo portion (Intermediate Tilt) has been chopped down to 20 flights - deleted all the fun stuff essentially. The multi-engine portion (Advanced Tilt) has been edited slightly towards the end of syllabus in that there is no longer a LAT Solo. That's the general overview, any other specifics, feel free to PM.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
osprey.jpg

A U.S. Air Force CV-22 Osprey from the 8th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla., flies a night mission in support of Operation Enduring Freedom, Afghanistan. (U.S. Army photo)

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
The proprotors are so big that that they suck the goo right out of the sky and then it no longer is a problem.

Dunno yet man, got a few months till forms.

...'you people'...pshhhtt....you're powered lift too. :icon_smil

Treetop Flyer

pilot
250' cockpit to cockpit separation per NATOPS. An echelon formation would allow us to tuck it in a little more, but that's about as close as it's wise to make a symmetrical diamond.

Harrier Dude, this came up ten months ago on this thread when you asked about their formation for a flyover. I'm not an expert, but I'd have to think that 250' is too far in the goo

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Do any of you people fly form in the goo in this thing? Can you? Are the proprotors too big, etc?

Yes, but not by flying super tight, but but procedural, altitude, and distance (DME) separation between aircraft while keeping the same squawk.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
You have O2 for the crew, but if you have several GIBs, then you have to comply with the restrictions for 10K and 13K with passengers. You can't get tight enough to stay visual unless it's just haze, and you can't do radar trail. It's easy to keep an IFR section together for limited penetrations or for airways navigation, but it's hard in a terminal area getting a lot of vectors.

If you've got serious Wx, then it's best to go as singles, then r/v later.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Looking for a current data point: How many (rough percentage is fine) HMM squadrons have transitioned to the Osprey?
I'm updating a brief for our students and am looking for backup info in case I'm asked.

Also is the standard now 10 Osprey replacing 12 Phrogs in an HMM squadron?

I've been looking on line but having trouble finding current data and going to 20 different squadron websites to find out was a bit too tedious.

thanks,
Lumpy

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Looking for a current data point: How many (rough percentage is fine) HMM squadrons have transitioned to the Osprey?
I'm updating a brief for our students and am looking for backup info in case I'm asked.

Also is the standard now 10 Osprey replacing 12 Phrogs in an HMM squadron?

I've been looking on line but having trouble finding current data and going to 20 different squadron websites to find out was a bit too tedious.

thanks,
Lumpy

6 of 6 East Coast HMMs are now VMMs. There are now 2 VMMs actually flying on the West Coast out of the original 6 HMMs. That leaves Okinawa (Guam?) still to go. There are 2 VMMs being stood up from scratch, as well. Rough number? Just under half of HMMs are transitioned.

10 is the current aircraft number. Once all squadrons are transitioned, expect the aircraft fairy to go back around and get everyone up to 12.

Then again, all this will change at the next meeting of the minds in a month or two, so take it for what it's worth.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
The current Marine Corps Aviation Campaign Plan has a treasure trove of info on this. Most of it is almost true, to boot!