• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

All things MV-22 Osprey

Pags

N/A
pilot
While there aren't Form lights, Chem lights are used like the Foxtrot. It does make unplanned rendezvous difficult, though.
No tip lights on a 60S. We do have form lights that work in both norm and IR (as do the position lights).

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's been talk for years about putting some sort of prop-tip lights (electro-lum or whatever) on the Hummer, but we get the usual "no money" excuse. Usually it takes someone getting killed to get things like this fixed, but more than one poor bastard has met his end on the flight deck because of the props, and...nothing.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Good news for Osprey hopefuls. Last two weeks, I've had friends get ospreys when their first choice was rotory. There is talk of trying to stand a sqd up on the west coast. Dont know if that is true, but one thing is, the pipeline is open and they are taking people every week.

"Rotory?" like rotory engine? Haven't been any of those in a long while.

Standing up a squadron on the West Coast isn't just talk. It is actually going to happen, as soon as the last 2 squadrons on the East Coast are transitioned.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Not that bad -- just look for the huge IR signature coming out the engines....

Okay, guess I should have said "slightly more..." Is there a noticeably less amount of "signature" (as seen on the goggles) coming from the HIRS? I know on paper there should be, just curious if you notice much on the goggles in reality.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's been contained in HQMC 2007 Marine Aviation Plan for some time so why listen to water cooler talk when you can read about it from the top?

Many interesting details in there about USMC aviation. Some things I noticed; the VMFA (AW) F/A-18D squadrons are among the first to transition to the F-35, they plan on keeping all 4 Prowler squadrons to at least FY15, and the V-22 transition will take until at least FY17 (long enough for the buy to be reduced?).

hscs

pilot
Okay, guess I should have said "slightly more..." Is there a noticeably less amount of "signature" (as seen on the goggles) coming from the HIRS? I know on paper there should be, just curious if you notice much on the goggles in reality.

Yes there is a significant difference/reduction -- enough that you need those slime lights.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
the average is 9 inches. 5.75 for fixed wing.
Sir, seriously, do you chopper guys really have to embellish the facts like that in order to try and take the ladies from us fighter/attack men? I’m really concerned that you are setting your community up for failure (and embarrassment) …

S/F

Max_Power

Prefers Skippy
Contributor
I want a full-sized copy of that poster/advertisement so badly. Too bad they had to stop using it due to the PC police.

I guess you could say the Osprey comes into the zone at 9mph, in the same sense that any vertical-lift aircraft comes in at 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1, and finally zero mph when it comes to a stop.

Kind of off topic, but that poster was my laptop's desktop background for a while. I was taking a summer school class recently on Middle Eastern History and my professor asked if he could borrow someone's laptop because the computer in the class was not working with the projector... So i naturally volunteered my own....

...Completely forgetting the desktop image was a squad of Marines fast-roping out of an aircraft onto a Mosque.

A great first impression to make with a Professor of Middle Eastern History / Religious Studies

The whole lecture hall saw the image.. All I could do was laugh