• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

All things MV-22 Osprey

Col Angus

pilot
Last time I checked, that thing still lands like a helo. In flight is probably not much of a factor, but I bet they get major pucker-factor when its time to land. I guess they can always fly in backwards and let the tail gunner get some.

hey salty sam, you should bring your extensive experience up to New River for your primary cross country and show us how to fly this "thing"

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Last time I checked, that thing still lands like a helo. In flight is probably not much of a factor, but I bet they get major pucker-factor when its time to land. I guess they can always fly in backwards and let the tail gunner get some.

Last time I checked, there was a Shooter patch and no wings on your avatar.

There's a reason they put guns in the backs of helos of late, and it's not because the side guns were being overwhelmed.

A forward firing gun is more to answer the political threat than the military one, though I do welcome it.

4-quadrant coverage will be more than any other assault platform out there. Maybe that will defeat the BLUE threat to the Osprey.

badbob

I hope the "forward firing gun" is light. Putting it on will mean less combat Marines to be transported over the beach or to the battlefield..Of course y'all know that, right?

The whole reason the aircraft has been in development since 1968-finally fielded...

b2

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
USAF The Real Warfighting Lead on V-22

Well a true defensive gun solution for the V-22 has been designed, built, and fully baked/tested.

Interesting that the Marine Corps is losing the edge in the warfighting employment of the V-22 to the Air Force (ironically the Marine Corps made the exact same error with the H-53)

So the system that is the most technologically advanced and effective will go to the AF and not the Marines - who need it.

chupacabra

pilot
Contributor
BAE had the gun on display at the Modern Marine Expo back in October in Quantico. It looks like a lot of fun for the crew chiefs, the control system is set up exactly like a PlayStation controller.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I hope the "forward firing gun" is light. Putting it on will mean less combat Marines to be transported over the beach or to the battlefield..Of course y'all know that, right?

The whole reason the aircraft has been in development since 1968-finally fielded...

b2

1968? Interesting...since the DoD's JVX program, the beginnings of the Osprey, began in 1981.

Unless you're counting the Hiller X-18, the Canadair Dynavert, the XV-15, etc. By that standard, you could say the F-22 has been in development since 1903, when the Wright Brothers rolled out its antecedent.

You've only got seats for 24. The grunts don't weigh THAT much that the gun will displace troops for weight. For space, perhaps, at least according to the source article.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Since we are all visual and/or tactile/kinesthetic learners and in case you missed the expo demo at Quantico last year here's the vid - BAE Systems V-22 RGS

Damn I gotta up my COD4 skillz on XBOX if I want to be l33t and pwn some arab n00bz... look at page 2 on the data sheet. Can they install a speaker and I can bring my 360 headset and talk shit at the same time?