• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

All things MV-22 Osprey

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Marines to get gun developed for CV-22

I got a brief last week from BAE on their independently developed 360 degree turreted gun for the CV-22. They said BAE was asked to provide guns for deployed USMC MV-22 Ospreys and award was imminent. This article confirms that fact.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
MV-22 question

Figured this was the right forum for this... :icon_tong

Anyone seen the latest issue of Naval Aviation News? There' s a picture of a MV-22 inside the cover taken at night. Does that thing have some kind of NVG lighting on the tips of the rotor blades? Looked pretty cool.

Edit: Found said picture

web_080202-N-9643K-008.jpg

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I think that all of our choppers do. Those aren't NVG ones, though, since you can see them with the naked eye. They probably have the IR ones, too.

What I thought when I first saw them was "Cool.....none of their tip lights are burned out". The phrogs often have many/most of them burned out and give off the disco light show.

They have settings for IR/visible and top/bottom. Depending on your position in the flight, you choose whether you want top or bottom. We do use them in airplane mode as well as conversion. Now, the funny thing is that the visible setting is invisible to IR--annoying. Also, why not just make them light up on both sides of the blades? Don't know. It'd be nice.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
You would have noticed them from the tower of an LHD........watching them launch late...........again.

You can also see them in starboard d, as they watch harriers have to take gas every two passes...

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
I thought that's when those guys practiced their "tactics".

Fixed it for you. For me, there is no shame in SAR and VERTREP is a blast. I saw the new community and I voted with my feet.

EDIT: I'm not slamming HSC and what they do now, just saying I chose not to play.

flyerstud4

Good news for Osprey hopefuls. Last two weeks, I've had friends get ospreys when their first choice was rotory. There is talk of trying to stand a sqd up on the west coast. Dont know if that is true, but one thing is, the pipeline is open and they are taking people every week.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Yup. All helos have blade tip lights.
Actually, not all helos have blade tip lights. The 60F doesn't, nor does it even have any IR form lights. Sometimes, people tape on IR chem lights onto a couple spots for reference.

Obviously, for a number of reasons, you wouldn't send a 60F on the same kinds of missions as a 60H, but the required improvisations make training a bit tough sometimes.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
No blade tip lights on the Cobra or the Huey but we do have IR form lights.