• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"ALL IN" on the 2nd AMENDMENT???

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I was referring to Hillary's comments (about 6 months ago now, regarding internet regulation) Ill try to dig up the exact comments. But if memory served she wanted regulation on bloggers etc.

I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, but this is a starting point. Ill see if I can't dig up the exact quote which so was so appalling.

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
It would be bad enough to decide that in D.C. one can only "bear" arms in the home (as bear connotes on one's person.) It would be yet another severe slam to the Constitution to ban them (for legal gun owners) entirely. I'm sure that any criminal/punk will still continue to bear arms as he pleases. (There should be an icon that hurls.)

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
It's especially ridiculous given the number of times the liquor store down the street (two blocks from Judiciary Square) has been held up - most recently last month.

That gun ban is SURE doin' wonders.:rolleyes:

plc67

pilot
Having come from a long line of rednecks I know the ultimate goal of gun control won't be meekly embraced. Prohibition has some lessons that should echo.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Master Chief -- this is all I got from the link :Page Not Found

Sorry, guess they pulled it.

Well, interesting article. They published a chart showing those supporting the ban and those ag'in it. Summary: States against: VA, TX GA, FL and NH.

States for: MD, NY HI MA and NJ. No suprises here. Maryland Gov not committed, said it was a DC matter but MD Attorney General Doug Gangster came out for the ban. All of MD CODEL for it save Rep Bartlett (R).

Congressional members: 315 members against (205 House and 55 Senate, including Sen. Webb) Only 18 members are listed for the ban.

SCOTUS to begin case on March 18, intend to be there, but given all the interest not sure I can get in. They will probably rotate, that is let you stay in courtroom for 1 hour then someone else gets to take your seat.

My View? Supreme Court will punt and not decide on the over arching issue.​

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Here is some interesting info, first off, the supreme court hearings will be recorded, and the audio tapes will be released. (ten bucks says someone will have a bootleg video of the hearings by the end of the day!)

check out this link for more on that:
http://dcist.com/2008/03/06/dc_handgun.php

Second, the district has filed it's final brief, which you can view at the following link. Looks like the lawyer to argue the case is going to go for all the marbles: he is arguing that the second ammendment is not an individual right but belongs to the militia narrowly defined... The decision looks like it will be a BIG one.

check that out here:
www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/citydesk/2008/03/05/nickles-new-gun-brief-gold-tandard/

And finally to keep up with all the news check out this blog here written by the team of lawyers working to overturn the DC gun ban.

www.dcguncase.com/blog

chupacabra

pilot
Contributor
SCOTUS to begin case on March 18, intend to be there, but given all the interest not sure I can get in. They will probably rotate, that is let you stay in courtroom for 1 hour then someone else gets to take your seat.

My View? Supreme Court will punt and not decide on the over arching issue.

I'd like to attend as well, if my schedule allows. Do you have an idea of how early one would have to arrive to get in to see the arguments? I know each case must be different based on public interest, with this being on the high side, but I couldn't really find any information other than it is "first come, first serve."

MrSaturn

Contributor
So does this mean I have to go buy an ar-15 RIGHT NOW to get grandfathered in?

Would be a nice excuse :D

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Well guys...Just one avid court watchers opinion here...

The decision of the appelate court is going to be upheld. Beyond that, based on the tenor of the questioning, I strongly suspect that the Court took this case to make a definitive statement on the Second Amendment. Just a guess, but I've been to/watched more than my fair share of oral arguments.

Here's hoping.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
I will post anything I find out about public access to the hearing.

I took a trip downtown DC to the Supreme Court. Total zoo, with goups for/against citizen's rights. Media trucks all over the place and found that if I waited about 4 hours I might be able to get in for about 15 minutes or so. Some folks said they had been there for 2 days. Took the tube back home. Will wait for the movie.

At least the issue has gotten the attention of a lot of folk.