• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"ALL IN" on the 2nd AMENDMENT???

MPH

All of this point, counterpoint stuff is a bunch of crap.

There is only one point. This is it.

You either believe that you government has the ability and willingness to protect your body and liberty better than yourself, or you believe that you as a citizen have a better idea what your security and liberty entail.

I know what I think.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Smartass. :D

I do what I can.

in this case, the fall of the Weimar republic is germane. The government may do what Britain and Australia have done and keep going as it should. Or it can slide into tyranny as Germany did.

The point I am making was that the Enabling Act was a legal act of a Western liberal democracy. And it lead to tyranny, because all power was concentrated in the hands of the State.

Apples and oranges again. The Weimar Republic was never on stable ground in a country that had barely 15 years of democracy when the Nazi's came to power. Australia has a democratic tradition dating back more than a century and England has one originating back to the Magna Carta. Where do you think our founding fathers got their ideas for freedom and liberty? Most originated from England. So comparing modern day Australia and Britain to chaos and dysfunction of Weimar Republic is not grounded in reality.

All of this point, counterpoint stuff is a bunch of crap.

There is only one point. This is it.

Who says you or anyone else would have done any better? Do you know exactly what happened? Were you there?

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I am the only person who can ensure my safety. .... it only validates my need for a firearm.
While in the bathroom yesterday at about 4:45ish, my dog barked and was growling fiercely. As she growled, I heard a male voice yell "Frank!?" and knew it was not the TV. I grabbed my .45 from the nightstand and ran into the hall to see my dog growling towards the front door, sunlight visibly coming in and a shadow. A gray-hair hippy-looking 45-50 year old guy was in my freaking house. I got the guy out pretty quickly(.45 aimed at center of mass is scary if it is your center of mass). If it had been dark or my wife had been home, the guy would not have been walking out on his own power. His story was that he was trying to visit his cousin Frank (who is my wheel-chair bound neighbor) and he got the houses mixed up (because of Happy Hour at Applebees....don't even get me started on the DWI admission). Moral of the story, don't drink and enter someone's house. Keep doors locked at all times. Give lab puppy more milkbones. Keep .45 loaded, it will save you someday.

Who says you or anyone else would have done any better? Do you know exactly what happened? Were you there?

No one's advocating complete anarchy... except for anarchists of course. We obviously need a police force. No one knows what exactly happened at that lady's house when she was shot. It proves, however, that calling 9-11 is not and will never be a 100% solution to all crimes. Sometimes you need to protect yourself and no one can help you. Solution: .45 on the nightstand. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
It proves, however, that calling 9-11 is not and will never be a 100% solution to all crimes. Sometimes you need to protect yourself and no one can help you.

Never be a 100% solution? Heck, if the crime is in progress it'll never even be a .000001% solution if they're in your face.

Solution: .45 on the nightstand. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Yep, mine's a 1911 Colt Combat Elite with 200 gr JHP's. I'm not going to go downstairs after someone, that's what the phone call is for in my case as we're in town but they'll not have to worry about tomorrow if they try and come upstairs.

MPH

I say with absolute certainty I could have done better.

No disrespect to you or the victim, but she couldn't have done much worse.

She knew there were intruders in her home, and if she owned a firearm at least she would have gained the potential to defend her life.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Apples and oranges again. The Weimar Republic was never on stable ground in a country that had barely 15 years of democracy when the Nazi's came to power. Australia has a democratic tradition dating back more than a century and England has one originating back to the Magna Carta. Where do you think our founding fathers got their ideas for freedom and liberty? Most originated from England. So comparing modern day Australia and Britain to chaos and dysfunction of Weimar Republic is not grounded in reality.
But chaos and dysfunction can evolve in the oldest of democratic traditions if the people decide to ignore their responsibilities or give in to stupid, irrational notions. Benjamin Franklin was asked after the Constitutional Convention what form of government they had created, monarchy or republic. He answered, "A republic, if you can keep it. (Emphasis mine)."

IMO, it only takes one or two generations to dork it away. If all you care about is American Idol and which Hollywood star is balling who, or decide that it's all relative and so there's no point in making a moral decision, you run the risk of having those decisions made for you. Plato knew that "the price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."

When the people have the power, some of us will be wise and others malicious or foolish. That's life. But you get the chance to hear the arguments and determine who is which. When the few have the power, the rest have to pray that they are wise, and not malicious or foolish. Otherwise, you're screwed.

Giving power to a politician is like giving whiskey and car keys to a fourteen-year-old. If the people give all the power to the State in the name of panem et circenses, we will have fulfilled the second part of Lincoln's prediction when he said "As a nation of free men, we must live through all time, or die by suicide."

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I say with absolute certainty I could have done better.

No disrespect to you or the victim, but she couldn't have done much worse.

She knew there were intruders in her home, and if she owned a firearm at least she would have gained the potential to defend her life.
How do you know she didn't own a firearm?

MPH

How do you know she didn't own a firearm?

Because if she did, it would be in every paper in the United States as evidence that firearms are useless to protect citizens, and only the government could be relied upon to maintain our safety.

And I say with absolute certainty, that you are talking out your a$$.

I know you're joking. But(t) knowing what I know about myself, I would have at least attempted to defend myself. People think drivers on phones are dangerous, imagine citizens with guns on the phone.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Because if she did, it would be in every paper in the United States as evidence that firearms are useless to protect citizens, and only the government could be relied upon to maintain our safety.

I know you're joking. But(t) knowing what I know about myself, I would have at least attempted to defend myself. People think drivers on phones are dangerous, imagine citizens with guns on the phone.

He's not joking.

Wow, your arguments are as convincing as they are thorough. Have you considered she was separated from her gun? Perhaps that she was in one room and the burglar cut her off? How would that make the paper? According to you every time someone got shot and there was a gun in the home, it would be in papers around the country, as "evidence". I guarantee that is not happening.

Bottom line is that you don't have enough evidence to adequately draw the conclusions that you are spouting off.

chupacabra

pilot
Contributor
Ok, MPH may be drawing too many conclusions from this story, but I think we can all agree on two things:

First, calling 911 will not save you if someone is already in your home with the intent to kill you, so you are responsible for your own defense.

Second, having a handgun in the home at least gives the potential victim the option to use it in her self defense. We can come up with endless scenarios where owning a handgun will not produce the desired effect, (poor training, cut off from the weapon in another room, using 9mm instead of .45 ;)) but obviously if you do not have a gun, you won't be able to use one in your defense.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
.... too many conclusions ..... you do not have a gun, you won't be able to use one in your defense.

Excellent points. That is exactly what is going on in Washington DC. The "bad guys" in Washington DC all have weapons, they know that law abiding citizens do not have handguns and that their rifles/shotguns are all locked away and inaccessable. Nicely eliminates one worry they have when breaking into your home. Police advice: do not struggle with an intruder, give him what he wants and he will be kind and gentle and we will be there "soon".

Back to the "conclusions"; what we do know is the woman was on the 'phone with police, who will arrive in 10 or 15 minutes, maybe, and a killer is at the door. And she was killed.

Reactions: MPH