• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Airspeed Restriction Below "B"

phrogpilot73

As for "standing up throttles" yes its idiosyncratic, but we understand what it means from day one. And, its not the same as reduce power, since you may have to add power to stand them up.
Blah, blah, blah... I'm ignoring your "logic" because it's more fun to make fun of you... ;)

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Fighting in a 1v1, in exclusive use airspace, with no one anywhere close except for the one guy I'm fighting and a 5k' floor is not the same as slowing below 200kts while in busy approach airspace with lots of VFR traffic. It's not just the over the nose issue, but also the maneuverability of the aircraft. I will fly around at high alpha in a BFM fight, I will not fly less than 200kts with approach. If you're comfortable with your flaps at half, while in formation, with ordnance on the aircraft, then that's all good. But it's not like I'm making up the airspeed requirement. It's NATOPS that explicitly spells it out.
Again, different strokes for different folks my man.
NATOPS states maintain 350kts until 10k for vis over the nose---who does that?? I’ve had one lead do that in my flying career and I burned a T-45’s worth of gas trying to catch the jackass (I was -4)…finally caught him 40miles later.

Majority of the guys I’ve flown with do 300kts to 10k, then 350kts to .85 (which you’ll probably not see unless you’re going into RVSM airspace). I have no problem taking off in busy airspace and staying at 250kts in the climb until 10k, with the throttles at mid-range for the “vis over the nose” …in my 2000+ pointy nose hours and several right to right’s with civilian traffic, I have determined that blindly accelerating to 300+ knots in the climb out from busy civilian airfields/airspace assuming that ATC will keep me safe is the wrong answer just to save a few pounds of gas. Technique only.

Same thought process goes in the terminal area but like HABFM, there are many “what if’s” as to when I would slow to 200kts in the terminal area. To name a few…
I won’t go to half flaps between 250-200kts, they program just fine on their own. Below 200 or with gear down is different story.

I wouldn’t do it as a 4-ship.
I wouldn’t do it as a 2-ship if I have to drag him through the goo. He should be able hang on in cruise just fine at 200kts in VMC.
I shouldn’t be taking ordnance into a civilian field so that wouldn’t be a concern.

I think the Hornets maneuverability at 200kts with gear up is adequate for maneuverability in the terminal area.
This is a good discussion. There are plenty of different techniques out there. I recommend flying your Hornet out of Mesa-Gateway or other civilian airfield that is under class B one weekend and see if you change your mind at zorching in and out of busy airspace at 300+kts.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I flew the jet around at 200kts today, clean. Very uncomfortable and sluggish. 250 would probably be ok, but she behaves like a pig at two bills.

MasterBates

You want to bitch about viz or piggish handling.. Come fly with me.
15303_327404009283_679034283_3354381_208250_n.jpg