• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

airsickness question

torpedo0126

I know this question has been addressed before, but I had more of a specific question. I am prone to motion sickness. when out on CGs and DDGs it took me forever to get my sea legs.

when i go on roller coasters after about three i feel a little queasy, but usually after waiting in line i feel ok to go on another. HOWEVER, the next day i feel awful (like right now) as if i am hung over.

i report to pensacola in nov and i am terrified that motion sickness will keep me from becoming a pilot. i guess i am looking for "its gonna be okay" but I know everyone's different and I am gonna have to see how it works out.

has anyone had a similar problem? thanks

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Talk to my buddy. He's in advanced for C-130's and still gets sick in the plane... If you want it badly enough, you won't quit. You'll be fine. Stick with it and it will eventually go away, or at the very least you'll learn to tolerate it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Something to keep in mind is during all those other evolutions, you aren't tasked like you will be during flying. That's not to say you won't get sick initially, but you need to relax, accept it, and then press. I recommend drinking lots of water the evening of your "sickness," as that can help the next day w/ the hungover effect. You also should start to build a tolerance for motion as you fly regularly.

What's "forever to get my sea legs?" W/ constant seas, most people take 2-3 days, but if it's calm, then rough, then calm, you might not build the tolerance. Then there are those that have a more mental problem and get sick because they think they always get sick.

Quick anecdote... I grew up on sailboats. I get sea sick. I've never (knock, knock) puked in an airplane, but I have been motion sick numerous times (first two flights of Primary, a couple of times as an IUT/IP, and after a complete wringing out in a F-14 as a Mid).

During workups for my second deployment, we got underway during the winter in Hawaii. The winter seas are not pleasant and we were bouncing around a lot in a FFG. I found I never really got sick because I was so busy running around trying to wrangle cats with my maintainers and aircraft that I never had a chance to think about it. I was really surprised it never came up (literally and figuratively). My point is, stay with it, and any initial unpleasantness should work itself out. If it doesn't, they will work with you in Primary and do everything they can to get you through it.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Everyone pukes, it is a part of flying. You just have to be able to keep flying. Eventually you get your "air legs" I got sick in primary, they let me pass. We have people get sick in advanced (usually when sitting shotgun) they pass. Pack plenty of bags, try not to hose the flight station, and eat mild stuff. LOTS of triscuits/saltines, and stay hydrated. Most importantly, and this is the hard part, try not to think about it. If you start thinking about being sick, you will be. Try to engross yourself in the flying. When you feel bad, try to keep the stick. When you give it to the IP, it just compounds the problem of 3D movement that you now have no controlover.

The flight docs will help you, as will aero medicine, so just do yer best.
Good luck,
Pickle

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I know the IP that took my for my first Hornet ride on my 1/c middie cruise told me that he puked all throughout IFS, throughout much of primary, and finally stopped part way through advanced. So I would say you can probably get over it if you like, just like everyone else is saying.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Alot of airsickness in flight school is due to a combination of nerves, heat and all that damn gear...

What I have always said is "Eat a Bagel".. Instucted in T-2s then T-45s and had a few say that helped.. Don't know why but seems to keep a lot of the stomach acids down.. Then when you get seasoned, eat a greasy, cheesey burger from "Mom's" or the patty melt!

PS: The above also seems to help for hangovers...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Everyone pukes, it is a part of flying. You just have to be able to keep flying. Eventually you get your "air legs" I got sick in primary, they let me pass. We have people get sick in advanced (usually when sitting shotgun) they pass. Pack plenty of bags, try not to hose the flight station, and eat mild stuff. LOTS of triscuits/saltines, and stay hydrated. Most importantly, and this is the hard part, try not to think about it. If you start thinking about being sick, you will be. Try to engross yourself in the flying. When you feel bad, try to keep the stick. When you give it to the IP, it just compounds the problem of 3D movement that you now have no controlover.

The flight docs will help you, as will aero medicine, so just do yer best.
Good luck,
Pickle

Not quite everyone.

Brett

navysoccer18

FNG
pilot
I didn't get airsick at all in Primary, but I found that I had a little trouble in a few phases of jet advanced. I got sick the first time dropping bombs, on a TacForm flight, and a few times when I started ACM. What I discovered is that it wasn't the G's or the dynamic maneuvering by itself, but all the movement of my head (especially looking over my shoulder) that accompanied the dynamic stuff. My trick - a bunch of backseat flights during lead ACM events to acclimate my body to the dynamic regime.

Don't get frustrated if you get sick a few times at first in Primary, or later on in your training. Just stick with it, and realize that the flight surgeons have a lot of tricks up their sleeve to help you if airsickness becomes a big problem.

Stretch32

Alot of airsickness in flight school is due to a combination of nerves, heat and all that damn gear...

What I have always said is "Eat a Bagel".. Instucted in T-2s then T-45s and had a few say that helped.. Don't know why but seems to keep a lot of the stomach acids down.. Then when you get seasoned, eat a greasy, cheesey burger from "Mom's" or the patty melt!

I would have to agree with this. I use to get motion sickness when I was younger riding in cars so I was a little apprehensive when I first started flying. I've been flying about 10 years or so now and had never been/felt sick in an aircraft. On FAM 1 and 2 I definantly could say I felt passive but no where near bad enough to lose my lunch. After landing both times I realized I was hungry so for FAM 3 I ate a solid lunch (club sandwich and chips) that wasn't heavy and filled me up. I haven't felt sick since. I've figured FAM 1 and 2 were a combination of being very nervous, just riding along (limited stick time) and being hungry.

Like was mentioned. Just eat a good meal and don't cut out lunch because your worried about hurling. Also, drink alot of water. Dehydration will compound motion sickness and with all the gear/nerves you will sweat ALOT. Just fly the plane as much as possible and don't worry about getting sick and you'll be fine.

Stretch

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

I never got actively sick, but felt queasy a few times, and that was after eating bagels/bread/etc before I flew, but when I would eat a cheeseburger or something like that, no problem. Guess it just depends on the person?

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
I know the IP that took my for my first Hornet ride on my 1/c middie cruise told me that he puked all throughout IFS, throughout much of primary, and finally stopped part way through advanced. So I would say you can probably get over it if you like, just like everyone else is saying.

This is a noob question, a bit of a threadjack, and really only about satisfying curiosity but please bear with me. I was under the impression that IFS was a relatively new aspect of the curriculum, say ~2-3 years tops. But, if someone who was already at the point in their career where they were an IP, and flying Hornets long enough to take ROTC midshipmen on familiarizing joyrides went through IFS, that would suggest it's been around much longer.

How long has the Navy been using it?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Try to engross yourself in the flying. When you feel bad, try to keep the stick. When you give it to the IP, it just compounds the problem of 3D movement that you now have no controlover.

Exactly the issue I ran into every so often as an IP. Let's face it, you studs suck. Trying to anticipate the movement, and then have a stud do the exact opposite (and sometimes improper) movement would cause occasional queasiness, if only for a moment. Instructing would be much easier if it weren't for the damn students!

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Exactly the issue I ran into every so often as an IP. Let's face it, you studs suck. Trying to anticipate the movement, and then have a stud do the exact opposite (and sometimes improper) movement would cause occasional queasiness, if only for a moment. Instructing would be much easier if it weren't for the damn students!

Sometimes we had fun with that too...waiting until your "favorite" IP was heads down in the box or writing and push over a bit or throw some rudder in there..."Sorry sir, I was switching pages on my Blue Brains":D