• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

airsickness question

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
My reaction is quite simple: "AIRWORK...3 Unable to multi-task, both flying and managing cockpit. Poor ball and altitude control. Recommend community which requires 5 people in the cockpit in order to fly straight and level."

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
My reaction is quite simple: "AIRWORK...3 Unable to multi-task, both flying and managing cockpit. Poor ball and altitude control. Recommend community which requires 5 people in the cockpit in order to fly straight and level."

Hey, only 3.:D Feeling the toob-slug hate today Gator!

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor

PSSSHHH. I ALWAYS got 5's on my superior "Ball control". :watching_

Avalanche24

What's the Navy's position on using medicine for nausea like Dramamine or Zofran?
I mean, clearly, you don't want to take it before flying as it can cause dizziness, drowsiness, and God knows what else.
But if that guy is still sick after the flight, could he take something like that?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
What's the Navy's position on using medicine for nausea like Dramamine or Zofran?
I mean, clearly, you don't want to take it before flying as it can cause dizziness, drowsiness, and God knows what else.
But if that guy is still sick after the flight, could he take something like that?

Once you're in flight status, you don't put anything in your body, with the exception of food, drink and a multivitamin, without the flight surgeon's approval.

If you get airsick, you go to the flight doc. You would NEVER self medicate.

Beyond airsickness, even if you get a cold, you're not supposed to take robitussin on your own. You're sick? Go to the doc. Let HIM give you something. Now, whether you actually do that or not is up to you. But according to the rules, if you're taking something, the flight doc gave it to you.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Everyone hates Nazis...Everyone likes beer...Everyone gets sick...generic everyone...don't you have a radar site to destroy somewhere?

I'm OK with you making generalizations, just don't lump me in with all the nancy boys who can't keep their lunch down in the cockpit. :D

Brett

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Eat..drink...Eat...drink...Eat...and keep it cold in the cockpit if you can. My first contact flight was in january, and being the systems stud that I am, I didn't know how the eff to turn the AC (called an Evap Blower, wtf is an Evap Blower?!) on. I'm wearing a jacket, g-suit, and my thermals because it's balls cold on the flight line, but as soon as that fishbowl closes...its like 9000 degrees and my visor is fogging up from my sweat. Great. After a few fun aerobatic maneuvers from the IP, and a tour of the Aux field, we RTB. I'm feelin queasy, but still doing my best to use the stick to make the houses get bigger and smaller in the proper order.

When we finally get back in the pattern at home, I finally pipe up and ask the IP if its alright to turn the AC on... he's like yea you idiot, turn the evap blower on (DING! LIGHTBULB in the brain goes off). I start cranking it, and within 5 minutes i feel much better, even with the g's and moving my head around to scan in the pattern. Never felt bad again, even during forms with a lot of maneuvering. Bottom line: never wear your thermals if you can avoid it, and if you learn nothing else in systems, learn how to use the AC...stay frosty.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
I've been saved a time or two by popping my mask and having the air flow over my face. It's like an instant fix.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor

Here is the way I look at self medication...If I (or the pilot next to me)bend my props on the ground the Navy will take piss/blood tests along with a 72 hr history. No matter what the circumstances, if there is unprescribed/unallowed meds in my body, I lose. I lose my job, I lose my credibility, most importantly I lose my wings. If, God forbid, I bend more than my props and they are using a spatula to get a sample off the ground, my wife/kids may lose any insurance/SGLI I am qualified for.

I know, worst case scenario, but the gov't is great on getting off on a technicality when it comes to paying out money. Not worth the medicine to me...

torpedo0126

i appreciate all the responses, truly. i guess i knew i would get sick, but i was more concerned how the feelings of nausea linger around for about 24 hrs. would going to great lakes and seeing the flight surgeon be bad--as in would that go in the medical record and possibly NPQ me?

thanks again

phrogpilot73

I puked twice in Primary and routinely get seasick (I was on the TransLant home after being on the ship for 6 months and I got seasick). Never had a problem in the aircraft past those two times.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

If you get sick chronically (like more than the first few flights), you may get some sort of meds prescribed. However, you can't solo while on the meds, so if you don't acclimate while on the meds and then after you've been taken off, they usually send you to the spin and puke or try a few extra flights, depending on the time of the FY and how bad it is for you.

You have 15 actual flight evens to acclimate, FWIW.

a-6intruder

Richard Hardshaft
None
NAMI / NOMI, or whatever they call themselves these days used to have a desensitation program to help guys w/ chronic airsickness but the desire to stick with it. Lots of zen "you are great, flying is great" self motivation, as well as sitting you in the puke chair as they spun you around and around and gave you exercises to do. Worked for my roommate, who had big problems in flight school, but went on to A-6s without issue.

Another guy I knew would always get the dry heaves after about the 8th or 9th delivery in the bombing pattern. He mentioned it to a flight surgeon, and he recommended a 1/4 tablet of drammamine, and actually annotated it in his record to cover his butt if necessary. There are all sorts of things they can give people, but it's the Flight Surgeon's call, not yours, regardless of prescription or over-the-counter.

I would not bring it up to any flight surgeon until you are fully in the program. You don't want some dirty fingered doc scrutinizing you at a time when they could decide not to accept you. Better to see how you perform, see how you like it, and then if there's an issue, at least you might have an opportunity to fight to stay in.

I'm admittedly a weak stomach kind of guy - I played an hour of Halo w/ my son a few weeks ago and felt like puking when I was done - sensory overload!

If you want it, it will work out.